Shark Fin Antenna oops

I finally got the antenna out. Phew, that was hard. You have been lucky, my antenna clip is twisted, I have to find a new one, but that is the easy part. The car roof is bent and the hole looks now like a colliflower. I have to get it fixed by someone and this is going to cost me quite a few bucks... The sad part, the antenna still looks like new. What are those made of ???

Do you think that you could re-install it using a 'sacrificial bolt' or somehow mount it with 'tear away' hardware?

Too bad the roof is damaged.

The antenna is built to survive a nuclear explosion. I am lucky that my hit was at the very top, and my garage door had some give. But unlucky that if the door was 3/4" higher I wouldn't have hit it. The edges of the hole were bent slightly upward and I flattened it by putting a bolt into the hole that caught the edges and tightened a nut under the hole. I didn't do anything to the V dent since it is hardly noticeable and matches the V of the antenna. One has to be careful with the headliner, I could see that it bends very easily and it would be easy to make a crease in it. Also the trim for the center pillar has a small plastic pin in the front that can get messed up and not stick good when the trim is put back. You have to remove that trim from the front and with care.

I think your roof dent can be taken out by a paintless repair guy. He should be able to access the dent from the antenna hole, with a tool to push upward on the dent.

I have to correct those posts here that say the GPS antenna is in the sharkfin. Not in these cars - the GPS patch antenna is located under the grille in the front-center of the dashboard.
The sharkfin is for AM/FM only.

Thank you all for you nice replies. I got my car a month ago, and this incident made me very depressed. Regarding the bent, I gonna get a few quotes done before taking any decision. Hopefully a skilled repairman can do some magic.

For the clip : I found a reference : ban6 66 A3Z. A friend of mine in Japan can sent it over, US prices, shipping included, are over the top.

s-l1600.jpg

I have to correct those posts here that say the GPS antenna is in the sharkfin. Not in these cars - the GPS patch antenna is located under the grille in the front-center of the dashboard.
The sharkfin is for AM/FM only.
The CX-5 manual shows a second optional connector at the hatch upper trim, described as installed for Sirius-equipped vehicles only. Although some Sharkfin units have two connector ports, I only see one in the Sharkfin picture posted by MyFirstMazda, so I'm guessing his Sport does not have Sirius.

Taking a break. I think it didn't fit right is because the roof bent upwards where the hole is. I used a flat block and then a bolt tightened down from underneath to flatten it (Pic1 before pic2 after). I am hoping the antenna will now will fit nicely. My roof also has a slight impression in the front where the antenna sat. Not going to worry about that.

View attachment 226498View attachment 226499
@MyFirstMazda I have that exact issue right now. Can I ask what this tool is or where you got it?

@MyFirstMazda I have that exact issue right now. Can I ask what this tool is or where you got it?
Was a piece of scrap aluminum, I was improvising. After using that, then I used a nut and bolt such that the head of the bolt caught on the edge of the hole on the outside, and I turned the nut on the inside to have the head of the bolt pull on the edge of the hole slowly bending the car's sheet metal back. You may be able to get a washer that covers the edges of the hole on the outside, have a bolt that goes through the washer, and a larger piece of metal or washer on the inside, and then the nut on the bolt you can turn to squeeze the car's sheet metal. Two things I remember to be careful of is don't let the headliner bend too much, it really seems fragile and easy to get messed up, and if you decide to remove the trim between the front and back doors, I guess it is the B pillars, be careful popping the plastic pins out of the frame holes. There is one pin on one side that got a bit messed up, and it didn't click in with a lot of holding power. I have long thin hands that helped, working under the liner. It's not a job for the faint of heart, from my recollection. If successful it is impossible to tell that there was ever an issue. I coated the hole with anti-rust because the process chipped the paint a bit on the edge of the hole, and I put a thin film of silicone around the edge of the antenna to make sure it was sealed well and water tight.
So you hit the garage door too?

Last edited:
I'm trying to remove my antenna from 2016 mazda 6 touring to wrap my roof. I cannot get the antenna cable removed. Can anyone give me tips? I've scoured the internet for videos and commentary as well as attempt to disconnect it for an hour. Removed the bolt and hage headliner access. Any help is appreciated.

I got it off. The stupid clip was easy after all, the push down levers were on the opposite side of the plug to pull out. To get the antenna out had to squeeze the two tabs and push from the inside. The antenna looks fine, I was thinking the metal connection pulled out from it, but nope. Now I have to figure out why it doesn't fit flush on the roof.View attachment 226492View attachment 226493View attachment 226494View attachment 226495View attachment 226496
Did you use a special tool to remove your antenna. I cannot get mine unplugged from the car itself. I fooled around with this for an hour today with no luck. Thanks!

Did you use a special tool to remove your antenna. I cannot get mine unplugged from the car itself. I fooled around with this for an hour today with no luck. Thanks!
I didn't need any tools to remove it, just squeezed the tabs with my fingers and pushed. Mine may have been easier because of being struck by the garage door.

We recently moved from Charlotte where we had a nice condo for 23 years, but no garage, to Dayton, and a ranch with a garage. My wife was recently backing out, and I guess since she could not see the garage door in the mirror she assumed that it was out of the way, and hit reverse, wrong. I hear a crunch in the living room, and thought, "well that doesn't sound normal". Sure enough, she had sheared the shark fin completely off. Took it to a dealer for an estimate. They said that the roof was scraped, and had to be re-painted, and the headliner had to be lowered. Since I am 83, and my wife is 73 we had to go with their $1,888.44 estimate. We have a $250 deductible, so that wasn't too bad. Insurance will spring for a rental also. Oh well, minor at best.

We recently moved from Charlotte where we had a nice condo for 23 years, but no garage, to Dayton, and a ranch with a garage. My wife was recently backing out, and I guess since she could not see the garage door in the mirror she assumed that it was out of the way, and hit reverse, wrong. I hear a crunch in the living room, and thought, "well that doesn't sound normal". Sure enough, she had sheared the shark fin completely off. Took it to a dealer for an estimate. They said that the roof was scraped, and had to be re-painted, and the headliner had to be lowered. Since I am 83, and my wife is 73 we had to go with their $1,888.44 estimate. We have a $250 deductible, so that wasn't too bad. Insurance will spring for a rental also. Oh well, minor at best.

Did your garage door not fully open or did your wife hit the button at the wrong time?

If something like that happened I think I'd put a dab of rtv under the antenna to make sure there'd be no water intrusion.

If something like that happened I think I'd put a dab of rtv under the antenna to make sure there'd be no water intrusion.

I'd be tempted to put a dab of RTV on my wife's forehead to remind her so that she never does this again. :cool:

Did your garage door not fully open or did your wife hit the button at the wrong time?
It was opening, and the fact that she didn't see it in the side mirror was enough for her to hit, "go". My wife is normally a very good driver. In fact there are a number of male driver friends that I would rather not ride with compared to her.

Latest posts

Back