Shark Fin Antenna oops

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
In my haste, I pressed the garage door button and the garage door stopped before opening full, and when I backed out, my antenna hit the garage door and it is now loose. Does anyone have experience with taking off or reattaching the shark fin antenna?

Looks like I will have to partially remove the headliner to get to the mount. Anyone ever do that? What a pita. I now like the in glass antennas better.

I removed the nut on the inside of the car, but the threaded piece connected to the antenna won't pass through the hole.

Antenna.JPG

Wow nice job partially dropping the headliner, if you undo the nut already, it should pop out, try to pry slightly from the top, wiggle it slightly.

It beat me. I learned that there are two clips that have to be pressed to get the antenna out, which would be fine. But I could not get the wire connector undone. They have some kind of trick connector that somehow hooks in, I could feel it have play pushing it in and out, but there are no tabs or anything to depress to undo it. Struggling with it got me close to messing up the headliner. So I put it all back together. My antenna is tight and the front touches the roof but the back has a quarter inch gap.

If I come across how that trick connector works I might try to remove the antenna another day.

#5 Disconnect the connector. How!

It beat me. I learned that there are two clips that have to be pressed to get the antenna out, which would be fine. But I could not get the wire connector undone. They have some kind of trick connector that somehow hooks in, I could feel it have play pushing it in and out, but there are no tabs or anything to depress to undo it. Struggling with it got me close to messing up the headliner. So I put it all back together. My antenna is tight and the front touches the roof but the back has a quarter inch gap.
If I come across how that trick connector works I might try to remove the antenna another day.
Try not to hit any rainstorms in the meantime. Another thread here had a person with water damage to the headliner due to a lose antenna. I think that derecho threw debris at the car, knocked the antenna lose, and let all that rain through the hole up there.

try not to hit any rainstorms in the meantime. Another thread here had a person with water damage to the headliner due to a lose antenna. I think that derecho threw debris at the car, knocked the antenna lose, and let all that rain through the hole up there.
Yes. That is why I would like to remove it, then I can put a piece of tape over the hole until I buy a new antenna or fix my antenna.

I wonder if there is a c-clip or e-clip right below the sheet metal you can't see?

There should be a parts breakdown to study.

I got it off. The stupid clip was easy after all, the push down levers were on the opposite side of the plug to pull out. To get the antenna out had to squeeze the two tabs and push from the inside. The antenna looks fine, I was thinking the metal connection pulled out from it, but nope. Now I have to figure out why it doesn't fit flush on the roof.
An1.jpg
An2.jpg
An3.jpg
An4.jpg
An5.JPG

Last edited:
Taking a break. I think it didn't fit right is because the roof bent upwards where the hole is. I used a flat block and then a bolt tightened down from underneath to flatten it (Pic1 before pic2 after). I am hoping the antenna will now will fit nicely. My roof also has a slight impression in the front where the antenna sat. Not going to worry about that.

block1.jpg
block2.jpg

Good resolution.

The shark fin antenna is also part of the vehicle's styling. It would look a little different without it.

If you ask me they should make them with some ' give' or something so the roof doesn't get damaged when there is an impact.
I agree. I rather have a shell that flies off the base and the electronics bent over a dented roof. The roof is very thin metal. As is, the shark fin is built very tough like a brick.

Makes me think of folding mirrors. The ability for those to rotate when hit has saved our family at least three times over. Thankfully still haven’t had to replace a door mounted mirror.

In my haste, I pressed the garage door button and the garage door stopped before opening full, and when I backed out, my antenna hit the garage door and it is now loose. Does anyone have experience with taking off or reattaching the shark fin antenna?

Hello, sorry for digging this post out but the exact same thing happened to me (my 2019 mazda CX-5 is even crystal blue as well) and I am desesperated . Now, I am trying to remove the antenna to get the full picture of the mess I created. I followed rigorously the repair manual but I cannot pass the partial peel of the headliner. All trunk trims, C-pillar trim and handlers have been removed.

It seems you fairly easily managed this part. Can you explain me how ? Did you have to pass a string under the headliner to get to the center fastener ? Also, did you disconnect the roof wiring harness connector and remove the roof wiring harness connector clip from the body and disconnect the rear washer hose ?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Back