Rear differential oil and transfer oil dilemma

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
My 2016 CX-5 AWD is going to be shortly up for these 2 oil changes. I went thru various posts and confused.
1. What's the oil to purchase? Older generation seems to have 80W-90 whereas starting mine its Hypoid SG1. Try as I might but finding it very difficult to get hold of this long-life version. After visiting 3 dealers here in NJ and after politely forcing them to show me what they will put in my car ALL said it's 80W-90! Subsequently, I called up Mazda Corporate. After 2 days they got back to me saying for 2016 and beyond it's important that I put the SG1 ONLY and wanted and obtained the 3 dealers I spoke to.

2. Rear differential - I understood. However what's this transfer oil as stated in the maintenance manual? Is it different from transmission oil and does it require also to be replaced just like rear differential? If yes - then I need to get sufficient amount of SG1.

3. Yes - I understood Mazda under quotes the required quantity so I'll buy at least 2 quarts for both.

I replaced the 80w90 in the differentials with sg1. Haven't had issues with them and the oil was always pretty clean and unburnt when changed previously (80w90).

SG1 should be used in your 2016 per Mazda. This oil is not hard to find at all. See the sponsor's banner above? Click on it and in the search box enter SG1.

Looks like the price of this stuff has gone WAY up since the last time that I purchased it.

@Conrad - thanks. I have bought all my stuff from them actually. Unfortunately, even with part # it comes up as discontinued. SG1 comes up with nothing.

My 2016 CX-5 AWD is going to be shortly up for these 2 oil changes. I went thru various posts and confused.
1. What's the oil to purchase? Older generation seems to have 80W-90 whereas starting mine its Hypoid SG1. Try as I might but finding it very difficult to get hold of this long-life version. After visiting 3 dealers here in NJ and after politely forcing them to show me what they will put in my car ALL said it's 80W-90! Subsequently, I called up Mazda Corporate. After 2 days they got back to me saying for 2016 and beyond it's important that I put the SG1 ONLY and wanted and obtained the 3 dealers I spoke to.

2. Rear differential - I understood. However what's this transfer oil as stated in the maintenance manual? Is it different from transmission oil and does it require also to be replaced just like rear differential? If yes - then I need to get sufficient amount of SG1.

3. Yes - I understood Mazda under quotes the required quantity so I'll buy at least 2 quarts for both.
Yep, although Owner's Manual and Factory Service Manual all specified 0.48 quarts capacity for both front transfer case and rear differential for 2017 CX-5, but in reality you need more than 1 quart gear lubricant to replace both as the rear needs about ⅔ quarts!

In fact if you measure gear lub level in rear differential before you drain it, you'll find it's fairly low from factory.

Yes, Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 is required for 2016+ CX-5. I'd use it even if I have a CX-5 AWD prior to 2016 MY as the AWD system is the same other than some minor software tweaks.

And you want to change the gear lubricant with SG1 in Front Transfef Case which is additional AWD unit separated from transaxle.

The following thread made by CX5-SO has excellent info for changing front transfer case and rear differential:

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links

@Conrad - thanks. I have bought all my stuff from them actually. Unfortunately, even with part # it comes up as discontinued. SG1 comes up with nothing.
Could be just the search engine sucked. Here're a couple of related posts getting the SG1:

Spark plug structure looked identical although there seemed to be some different metal coloring on OEM. I was so mad they sent me NGK, I really didn't look at them much beyond wrapping and shipping back!
I did not trust myself to drop the pan and seal - so I had a mechanic do it. It took him some time. The fluid looked worn, but not burnt. I can't comment on color.
I suspect it was under filled from factory. I bought 2 bottle per recommendation on this forum. I chose the more expensive lube since I will not do this same service until 150k and judging how the car was running - that's about the limit. IMO of course.

Parts breakdown from mazdastuff.com (please note they corrected the spark plug mixup right away)

0000-77-SG1-QT Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-77-SG1-QT | Lng Life Hyp Gear Oil Sg1
2 $21.56 $43.12

PE5R-18-110 Mazda Genuine Part Number PE5R-18-110 | Plug,Spark
4 $22.88 $91.52

9956-41-400 Mazda Genuine Part Number 9956-41-400 | Gasket
2 $0.84 $1.68

0000-FZ-113E-01 Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-FZ-113E-01 | Atf Type-Fz
6 $10.72 $64.32

FZ01-21-500 Mazda Genuine Part Number FZ01-21-500 | Strainer,Oil
1 $27.56

Changed both case oils in both CX-5s of mine @ 45K. Now, after looking at the oil that came out I'd not do it before 100K. It was perfectly fine.

IMO, it is not really needed before 100K or so.

YMMV.

Not sure why the SG1 shows up as discontinued from our sponsor using the old part number but this seems to be the correct oil with a different part number.

https://www.shopmazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-hypoid-gear-oil-sg1-mexh77114e01

As Yrwei52 pointed out with my previous post, here's SG1 with the correct part number and a MUCH better price.

https://www.mazdastuff.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0000-77-SG1-QT

Back