Question for your audio experts

mongo2004

I have the Sport and have changed out the head unit to a JVC. I bought Metra controls to be able to control the radio from the steering wheel. Everything works fine but I don't want to use the Mute button as a Mute for the Radio. I want to change the resistor on the Mute button to actually call up the bluetooth for the Radio when the Mute button is depressed. Does anyone know the resistor size I would need to change the Mute button to act as a Bluetooth button?

I have the Sport and have changed out the head unit to a JVC. I bought Metra controls to be able to control the radio from the steering wheel. Everything works fine but I don't want to use the Mute button as a Mute for the Radio. I want to change the resistor on the Mute button to actually call up the bluetooth for the Radio when the Mute button is depressed. Does anyone know the resistor size I would need to change the Mute button to act as a Bluetooth button?

There is no mute button on the steering wheel on the Canadian version. You have a mute key on yours?

So in this picture this is what I have. Where is your mute button located

mazda-cx-5-multifunction-steering-wheel.jpg

Right below the volume button. IHowever since I have the sport and do not have bluetooth I do not have the phone button or the hang up button and my push to talk is a mute button.

Ahhhh okay I forgot about version without the Bluetooth. So now back to your question you said that you wan to change your mute to be Bluetooth? Oh NM you got a new stereo that does have Bluetooth.... I get you now LOL. So you want to intercept the signal when the mute is pressed and change it to a signal that your stereo pulls up the Bluetooth screen on the new stereo... I get you. I do not think that these buttons work on resistance as to tell what button was pressed. Most of these work on simple high or low sent down a certain pin if i am not correct. If you check your wiring harness that comes off the steering wheel buttons there should be like at least a 15 pin connector and if you take a volt meter and do some playing around you might be able to figure out what pin on the harness is the mute key. Then you will have to figure out what pin on your new stereo is your Bluetooth and hope that it is looking for the same high or low signal. And that is only if it is using simple high or low 12 volts as a triggering mechanism on both ends it could be way more complex if its a digital signal.

Ahhhh okay I forgot about version without the Bluetooth. So now back to your question you said that you wan to change your mute to be Bluetooth? Oh NM you got a new stereo that does have Bluetooth.... I get you now LOL. So you want to intercept the signal when the mute is pressed and change it to a signal that your stereo pulls up the Bluetooth screen on the new stereo... I get you. I do not think that these buttons work on resistance as to tell what button was pressed. Most of these work on simple high or low sent down a certain pin if i am not correct. If you check your wiring harness that comes off the steering wheel buttons there should be like at least a 15 pin connector and if you take a volt meter and do some playing around you might be able to figure out what pin on the harness is the mute key. Then you will have to figure out what pin on your new stereo is your Bluetooth and hope that it is looking for the same high or low signal. And that is only if it is using simple high or low 12 volts as a triggering mechanism on both ends it could be way more complex if its a digital signal.

I got it. Thanks for the help. I found out I could reprogram the steering wheel metra axxess controller. The mute button is now the push to talk for the jvc radio

I got it. Thanks for the help. I found out I could reprogram the steering wheel metra axxess controller. The mute button is now the push to talk for the jvc radio

Hey, mind showing off your radio install and sharing how much it cost for the custom trim kit to get it to fit? I'm still trying to figure out if I want to wait for one of the companies to come out with something to fit an aftermarket radio or build it myself. Thanks!

Here is a picture of the install

OWjET.jpg

As you can see the bottom of the radio sits flush with the opening of the trim while the top sticks out. I need to tilt the rear of the radio down so that the radio sits up at a slightly facing upward angle but i cant because there is a brace where the previous radio was. I cannot take out the brace because it is part of the whole trim ring radio assembly.

I talked to Sosche and they said they are coming up with a install solution. It probably wont be until January though. The sides are filled in with plastic from a sheet I purchased from Amazon.

A side note, if you are going to purchase a radio, the CX-5 does not have a standard antenna plug. You have to purchase the Honda adapter.

Last edited:
So now that you changed out your radio, how do you access the programmable things from th efactory touch screen?

Back