Puff sound when the gas pedal pressed

Hi all,

I have a 2015 CX-5 Touring with the 2.5 engine. The car has 80K miles and well cared for and maintenance always on time. I just noticed today while having the window down and when I pressed on the gas pedal there's quick puff sound somewhere in the engine bay. No engine codes of any kind. The MPG has been dropped significant from 22.1 to 17.2

Anyone experienced this before? I would like to see if I can find what's wrong with the car before taking it in since there are no warranty of the car due to the year and mileage.

Thank you in advance.

Jay

Last edited:
Just for fun, I hooked up the OBDC II to see if there's any code on there, and there's a code of P2090. Heck, I have no idea when this code was registered. I have no CEL or service soon light on my dash whatsoever.

I googled the code, and nothing came up for Mazda CX-5 at all. Any clues guys??

Thanks,

Jay

I found some more info on it and that's could be a number of things. Therefore, I will spend that $69 for diagnostic instead of guessing. Thanks!

Hi all,

I have a 2015 CX-5 Touring with the 2.5 engine. The car has 80K miles and well cared for and maintenance always on time. I just noticed today while having the window down and when I pressed on the gas pedal there's quick puff sound somewhere in the engine bay. No engine codes of any kind. The MPG has been dropped significant from 22.1 to 17.2

Anyone experienced this before? I would like to see if I can find what's wrong with the car before taking it in since there are no warranty of the car due to the year and mileage.

Thank you in advance.

Jay
Have you done or touched anything (changed engine air filter for example) recently? My guess is something has broken which caused a vacuum leak. Check any sign of obvious disconnected rubber hoses or improper installation on something you have just touched.

What kind of new information you have just found?

The only thing that I've touched recently is the battery. The battery died under warranty, so I got a replacement. The battery is nowhere near any vacuum hoses that I can tell. It's significantly enough to decreased 5-7 less miles per gallon.

Thanks!

The only thing that I've touched recently is the battery. The battery died under warranty, so I got a replacement. The battery is nowhere near any vacuum hoses that I can tell. It's significantly enough to decreased 5-7 less miles per gallon.

Thanks!
When did you notice the mpg drop? Right after the battery replacement? Who did the battery replacement? I’d start to look around the engine bay and see if anything is loose or disconnected. With engine running, try to listen to any abnormal noise or any hissing sound. Check the air filter housing making sure it’s properly installed.

I don't remember exactly when the MPG dropped. Keep in mind, the average MPG reading is from the car's computer. I have reset it and going track the MPG manually just incase. I spent sometime today looking over the air mass sensor hose where it's connected to the air filter housing and all other vacuum hoses and I am not been able to find the culprit. I did the battery myself because I didn't want to wait for an appointment from Costco.

The engine is quiet and spunky as it was before. I hope the puff sound isn't coming from the intake manifold. Again, no visible leakage from the intake manifold either.

Anyways, I got a free oil change coupon at the Mazda dealership, so when I am in there having the oil change done, I will have them run a diagnostic... might be the best $69 diagnostic I ever spent.

The good thing is that code P20290 hasn't been back yet and I have been checking it every single day since I discovered the code.

I did purchased a new valve cover gasket and the CCV seal and when I replaced these gaskets, I will check the tension of the timing chain and see if I am in danger for the chain going bad even though it supposed to be lifetime part.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:
Back