Protege High Mileage Club

i'm super paranoid about my rust too, i've been packing grease inside the wheel well after giving them a good clean. seems to do the job it hasn't got any worse. Just slight bubbling from before i got the car

Broke 134,000 miles the other morning. I don't have any issues with rust so far, but I'm lucky to live in a town that uses gravel when it snows, and is dry for the most part during the spring and summer.
2013-02-13_10-47-30_188_zps8b49212a.jpg

Dang... That makes mine look like a new car. I mean you no offense by saying that. I think your car and Phens might be pretty close on the holey rust scale. Do ya have plans of fixing it or... And my windshield looks sorta like that. The wiper swings too far over and I think it just pushes more and more water into the seal-area.

Dang... That makes mine look like a new car. I mean you no offense by saying that. I think your car and Phens might be pretty close on the holey rust scale. Do ya have plans of fixing it or... And my windshield looks sorta like that. The wiper swings too far over and I think it just pushes more and more water into the seal-area.

No plans to fix it at this point. It's terminal and the cost to fix the rust is higher than the value of the car. Pretty much all of them rust in my area. I plan to drive it till it's just not safe anymore. Once that rust spreads towards suspension mount points or door latches, it will be dropped off to the closest salvage yards. Pretty sad, because mechanically, it could go for a long time. I'm at about 198500 miles (319455 kms).

No plans to fix it at this point. It's terminal and the cost to fix the rust is higher than the value of the car. Pretty much all of them rust in my area. I plan to drive it till it's just not safe anymore. Once that rust spreads towards suspension mount points or door latches, it will be dropped off to the closest salvage yards. Pretty sad, because mechanically, it could go for a long time. I'm at about 198500 miles (319455 kms).

yeah wow. My passenger rear fender bubbled probably 2.5 years ago, but has not changed from the outside. I picked up a few cans of that naval jelly stuff, rusted metal primer, and 3M rubberized spray last week...will be trying to seal off all fender wells as much as possible this weekend...I can't really tell where the rust, or even water is coming from...as inside the rear well it looks nearly perfect...the painted surface only bubbled just above where the bumper meats the fender, and is about half the side of a fist...I'm going to try to take the whole rear bumper off and really seal that up with the undercoating...hopefully that buys a few more years...

Same thing for the little patch of rust on the passenger side of the engine bay...that definitely WAS growing over the past year, but still is relatively small...it started as just a crack of rust, and that grew to the same size as the rear fender, roughly...i've been spraying it with PB blaster every couple of weeks lately, and that has completely stalled the process...but its another weird one, as its not coming from inside the fender well...it seems like water leaks down there from the side of the hood...I'll seal that off with the same shat i bought for the wells...hopefully i can stop it from spreading before it gets terminal...doesn't seem to be close to that just yet, though...

2002 Mazda Protege LX. 380,000 miles and still going. Not sure this still counts as I put new rings, bearings, rebuilt head and seals in at 365,000. Runs better than ever...

Im just now replacing the original clutch turns out the disc had lots of life left and my car has 321000 miles half of the cars life a jet ski was pulled with it

2002 Protege5 paid 650$ lol 217 000km so around 135 000 miles, doesn't burn oil, just changed all three belts, sparks plugs, a bearing and a ball joint. starts at -40 degree no prob. looking to drive it across canada this summer and put as many miles as the body dares to last, i'm having an epic fight against rust ! I may post on this fight one day if I succeed to stop it

Back