Protege High Mileage Club

2003 ES 2.0, 133,XXX miles. Still starts on first try and runs alright. I think I need to regap the spark plugs though.

2001 Protege MP3 (blue) about turn 170K soon. I'm in shock! the thing won't die. The most work I've had done to it outside of routine maintenance is replace the original 9yr old clutch and fly wheel. Also a couple of weeks ago I replaced valve cover gasket.

I'm at 145,525 miles right now or about 234200 km.

I had to replace the thermostat that's about it, oil changes every 4000km

I am however having issues with rust. The left side rear quarter panel has a couple of small rust bubbles and the bottom of the wheel well furthest to the rear has rusted away completely :( I took it to the body shop and was told it would cost more to fix than the car is worth.

Anyone else having any rust issues?

I am however having issues with rust. The left side rear quarter panel has a couple of small rust bubbles and the bottom of the wheel well furthest to the rear has rusted away completely :( I took it to the body shop and was told it would cost more to fix than the car is worth.

Anyone else having any rust issues?
dam im sorry to hear about ur rust issues. my friend does body repairs. he has his own shop. and he doesnt charge me much. or anybody that i recommend. :D

2003 Mazda Protege Lx 136000 slight delay when starting like a second but other than that runs great

Alternator finally went this past Wednesday. I got a new one installed and she was back to normal by the next day.

140K miles, '02 Protege LX, starts and runs great, although gets picky sometimes and have to depress the clutch again.
KNDSGIgl.jpg

Missed it by 2 miles (headshake

Whelp why not.
2001 ES 2.0
Starts on the first try, no problem.
Original engine.

Poor thing has been through absolute hell and still won't die.
She's a trooper for sure, running strong.
Just needs a tune up, oil change, and air filter and she'll be running good as new again.

Last edited:
2003 es with 110k Starts fist time everytime. Has a burning oil smell after 15 minutes of running...belts squeal occasionally.
oh yeah...rust thru on the back fenders

2003 es with 110k Starts fist time everytime. Has a burning oil smell after 15 minutes of running...belts squeal occasionally.
oh yeah...rust thru on the back fenders

That smell might be from your cam cover gasket failing. I just replaced mine myself last month. The rust I was told is not worth fixing unfortunately :(

Rust is very common on these cars, and there is no way to fully prevent it. I lost mine to cancer. :(

I'm getting more and more freaked out about the rust too...Mine has not changed in anyway, but i still keep procrastinating some preventative maintanence...

passenger rear fender has a 2 inch bubble at the back of the wheel arch...I've heard guys claiming by the time they saw this, and started looking around...they found the housing for the jack inside the trunk had already completely rusted away...when i look in there, or anywhere inside the car for that matter...it looks brand new...but damn it i've got to get around to trying to seal that off haha...

Yeah... don't put it off. It spreads fast. Over one winter, mine got to the point where it would cost a couple grand to fix.

The housing near my jack is like that :( and the pass side isn't even that bad outside. The drivers side is the bad one... My hoods rusted through, and my hatch near the bottom is messed up too... She's a mess but I love her. I still have yet to gain entry into this club though. Im @ 86k ish... :)

Back