Protege High Mileage Club

currently at 228,000km or 141,673miles, oil changes every 4000km so far. Starts up everytime, no oil burning, transmission seems good

Winter it approaching soon in toronto, getting ready to battle rust with grease and rustproofing!

I want to keep this car for a while

Just crossed 308,000 kms in my 2002 ES. I'm the original owner.

Only killer is the rust. My rear bumper fascia is cleverly held on with zip ties.

Just crossed 308,000 kms in my 2002 ES. I'm the original owner.

Only killer is the rust. My rear bumper fascia is cleverly held on with zip ties.

nice!! How is it running? All original motor and tranny? How many timing belt changes? Good stuff :)

Last edited:
nice!! How is it running? All original motor and tranny? How many timing belt changes? Good stuff :)

Runs like a top. Never has left me stranded. Starts up on the first try, except on the very odd occasion where it needs a second try. I'm guessing the fuel pressure regulator might be bleeding off some pressure if the car sits for many days (which does in the summer when I pull out the summer toy). She even starts up fine in -40C (same as -40F). Of course, I've used synthetic oil since break-in and currently use Mobil 1 0W40. No oil leaks whatsoever.

All original motor and manual transmission. Come to think of it, even the clutch is original. I've had a clutch & Fidanza flywheel sitting on the shelf for 2 years now, but no need to change it. I also have everything I need to run force induction (MSP GT2554RLS, MSP ECU, FMIC, piping, oil lines, coolant lines, oil cooler, etc), but no time to put it in.

I had the belt changed at the dealership at 96000 kms. I've done all the timing belt changes since myself.

At around 169,000kms, the water pump failed, so I changed the timing belt at that time. Since then, I changed the belt and pump (just to be safe, I've made it a maintenance item with timing belt changes) at 265,000kms.

Next one will be at 361,000 kms.

Last edited:
Owned a 2002 Protege5 since new, just turned over 154,000 miles. Had been chasing the P0300 code for the past month as it got cooler outside...which was pretty scary...it would miss on cold starts occasionally, but was getting worse quickly. Had a friend's shop look over it, and everything checked out...but it ended up being a bad coil, despite him claiming to have tested both. $80 later, its fine now, runs like its brand new...no leaks of any kind...and doesn't burn any noticeable amount of oil between 7500 mile mobile one changes...

I do have some rust thats starting to freak me out though. Some nasty blistering in the engine bay in front of the shock tower by the timing belt side engine mount. Not on the frame rail, and not on the shock tower itself, but on the bump from the wheel arch. Probably means its coming through the wheel well entirely, but shouldn't be too big of a deal to grind, cut, patch, and fill as it supports nothing. Have a little on the passenger side rear wheel arch also, but same thing...just a little bubbling around the body seem...those are my winter projects, as it isn't driven much in the winter anyway...Going to clean and coat all 4 wheel wells with some rust converter and 3m rubberized coating. The miata guys have been doing that for 25+ years, with great results...

1995 LX 5-speed. Just over 205,000. You can ignore my foggy cluster, I'll be replacing the screen this weekend.
5FD7727A-609B-4463-A070-14E3966A82AC-9113-00000C6002F18A01.jpg

I'm brand new here but this is the first thread I saw that was something I could mention. My '02 MP5 is at 174,xxx and some change right now and runs fine for the most part it has a CEL from the exhaust being broken off after the precat. (long story) Besides that, its perfect.

2002 lx 5 speed 123xxx, runs great and starts every time up to -35c so far. I'll be testing -40s within the next 2 months by the looks of things

05DFEBE1-3F86-4E6D-BB77-A80E1BF33AB3-1860-00000159FF576F1A.jpg

101,*** miles when converted. Part of the club now, I've owned the car since 142,*** kms. The car has been good mechanically, but the body rust is getting to me badly. I might get rid of it soon and just keep my E30.

Back