Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

very, very special car Antoine, nice one. I picked my 13b up on saturday...I am apprehensive because of the rarity of the Cosmo, specially here in the UK. Or maybe I'm presuming too much?

I have a list available on DVLA at the moment I'm eyeing but if you purchased Tim's red Cosmo I'd be interested but not a silly prices ;-)

:eek:) I believe that the price of a number plate is a very fluid thing...Have you talked to Tim much and did he try to sell the red cosmo on the forum?

It is as fluid as the demand for it and similar plates on DVLA ;-) I spoke to Tim a little in email, I only ever saw it on Ebay.

Antoine said:
Issue Update! Thanks for the info, Kramer...The issue I had last weekend did produce an error code...Code 27 (Open or Short Circuit OR Stuck MOP Sensor)...At first, Kawato thought I may have to replace my MOP / OMP (Oil Metering Pump) which I was shocked to find out costs 130,000 yen (well over $1000 USD)...Fortunately, he double checked and now the OMP seems to be functioning fine (the fact my Cosmo sat for 7 months may have caused the OMP to act up initially...Now with fresh oil circulating it should be ok)...After that initial scare, it seemed the Cosmo was ready to come home once again until this morning...Kawato wanted to double check everything was truly fine before I was due to pick it up today and just before I was about to head to his shop...He messaged me that he came across a new problem this morning...While performing a final test drive, he encountered the same "Limp Mode" type behavior (unable to accelerate past 2000rpm)...Kawato believes it's an electronic / sensor issue...He has already swapped out my Speed Sensor (with the one from his Cosmo) and I'm now waiting to find out more...

Should mention also on the OMP situation - 20B's starve for oil in the third chamber - simply a design flaw! Oil channels simply cant get enough oil to it under load. Thats the chamber that will spit seals first. I always run a little pre-mix - some in every tank! If you want to look at a comprehensive "fix" - Have a look at Chips Ursu (Chips Motorsport) in the USA and his thread on Facebook on upgrading that element of a 20b. He does very nice work!!

Kramer

very, very special car Antoine, nice one. I picked my 13b up on saturday...I am apprehensive because of the rarity of the Cosmo, specially here in the UK. Or maybe I'm presuming too much?

I first heard of a Cosmo just over a week ago, and now I own one...pretty mad really

Congratulations and just remember that like a loved one, the Cosmo needs TLC and cannot be treated like an ordinary car...Treat it well and it will treat you even better!!!

Should mention also on the OMP situation - 20B's starve for oil in the third chamber - simply a design flaw! Oil channels simply cant get enough oil to it under load. Thats the chamber that will spit seals first. I always run a little pre-mix - some in every tank! If you want to look at a comprehensive "fix" - Have a look at Chips Ursu (Chips Motorsport) in the USA and his thread on Facebook on upgrading that element of a 20b. He does very nice work!!

Kramer

As always, thanks for the valuable info, Kramer! I will definitely take a look at Chips MotorSports and keep them in mind!

UPDATE!

Just got a msg from Kawato that my Cosmo is ready...I will pick it up and post a full update with details soon, stay tuned! :D

Picked up my Cosmo after being without it for about 2 months...Why the wait? Well, Kawato kept it while waiting for Mazda to make a new pair of door window trim and rubber which literally took a month but the wait was worth it!

BEFORE:
Before_Trim.JPG

AFTER:
After_Trim.JPG

Install Pics...
Trim%20Install_1.JPG

Trim%20Install_2.JPG

Although I didn't have anything super exciting done to the Cosmo this time, I did upgrade some vitals...Here's the list of what I had done this time...

Carbing Cooling Plate installed...
Carbing.JPG

• New Engine Coolant (7L): Racing Gear "POWER LLC"

• New Rear Differential Oil (1.5L): SPEED MASTER

• New Transmission Fluid (5L): Red Line ATF

• Fresh Engine Oil & Filter (6.5L): SPEED MASTER

• K&N Filters cleaned / re-oiled

• Hoodliner cleaned

• Headlight Beam Direction adjusted

• Exhaust Tips cleaned / polished

• Radiator, Intercooler, Oil and Transmission Cooler cleaned with compressed air

• Battery Disconnect Switch installed and Panasonic "LifeWINK" battery monitor removed (ultimately it contributes to draining the battery by being ON all the time)
Battery%20Switch.JPG

What's next?
Well, I've got the same problem with the rear quarter window trim rubber drying out and breaking as I did with the door window trim rubber...Unfortunately, you can not simply buy replacement rubber, you have to order the entire set and Kawato has informed me that it will probably take another month to make and it costs quite a bit more to purchase and install than the door trim. This is on my To-Do-At-Some-Point list.

Here's the problem area...
Qtr%20Trim.jpg

Here's the set...
Qtr%20Trim%20Set.jpg

Another area that needs attention is the Cosmo's suspension, especially in the front...Kawato informed me that the front suspension is slowly dropping due to age and it won't pass inspection in another two years! So, I will have to replace or upgrade soon and I'm thinking to go with Autoexe's now discontinued (due to lack of a market for EC parts in general) suspension system for the Eunos Cosmo...IF a new set can be found in the back of some warehouse in Japan in the near future, I will likely upgrade...

auto_exe_mjc7900b[1].jpg

On a final note...While driving home, I encountered the same problem at the same time and place as I did a year ago (while going through the mountains the Cosmo randomly went into limp mode) when first picking up my Cosmo...This time I pulled over, turned off the engine and then turned it back on and I was able to drive home without a problem...Except for the engine idle dropped to around 500rpm. I called Kawato and he came to my place to check it out and he thinks the cause this time (and last year) might actually be the Cosmo ECU re-calibrating itself from scratch after being without a live battery for an extended period of time...So these issues should resolve themselves as I drive / enjoy my Cosmo again...I hope!

Another final note...Unfortunately my rims are starting to show their age (they were on the Cosmo when I bought it and may be from the 90's)...The surface is starting to bubble / flake off (especially between the spokes) and to restore them might cost the same or more than a new modern set of Rays / Volks...So, I'm thinking of replacing them with...

C345 Primes
wheel.jpg

or if I can find SF Winnings still in stock (discontinued)...
wheel26.jpg

Not sure yet...First priority is the suspension now...Stay tuned and thanks for checking out my update! :D

Definately the C345 Primes - they are very similar to the ones that I used to have until I upgraded the brakes and they didnt fit anymore!

As for Coil overs! you wont know yourself when you put them on! Do you keep an eye on RHD and Minkara in Japan for parts? I noticed these on Ebay the other night too. No idea what they are like, but caught my eye because they are for JC https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Do the brakes at the same time. The XYZ's are brilliant! The difference in my car with those extras and new wheels is phenomenal!

Kramer

Definately the C345 Primes - they are very similar to the ones that I used to have until I upgraded the brakes and they didnt fit anymore!

As for Coil overs! you wont know yourself when you put them on! Do you keep an eye on RHD and Minkara in Japan for parts? I noticed these on Ebay the other night too. No idea what they are like, but caught my eye because they are for JC https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Do the brakes at the same time. The XYZ's are brilliant! The difference in my car with those extras and new wheels is phenomenal!

Kramer

Yeah...I'm leaning heavily towards the C345 Primes but good point to make sure there is space for future brake upgrades!

As for Coilovers...It looks like the AutoExe Coilovers for the EC are no longer in stock anywhere...I do keep an eye on various sites for EC parts...Especially Yahoo Auctions Japan and Minkara...Those Coilovers look nice and are quite affordable, it appears the company is based in Taiwan...Kawato does have a friend at http://www.spirit-shocks.jp who can build me a custom Fully-Adjustable coilover suspension for the Cosmo but it will cost a pretty penny (all parts made in Japan). I do like the idea of a custom tailored Made-in-Japan suspension for my Cosmo but it will take me a while to save enough dough...It should be worth it though and my Cosmo deserves a modern high-performance suspension!

As for brakes...I did have fresh fluid put in and that seemed to improve response and feel...I would love to upgrade them someday and I've heard of the XYZ's (also from Taiwan I believe)...I know that name brand BBKs can cost a fortune and can also be overkill for a street car...I've heard of people using stock Brembos from other makes and retrofitting them to the Cosmo and I believe there is a company in Japan that offers affordable brake upgrades using factory parts from various makes (like the Nissan GT-R). I'm not sure if it's a worthwhile upgrade for the price but I would like to use brake components designed and made in Japan, North America or Europe. Glad to know though that you're happy with those XYZs...I will definitely keep them in mind!

Update!

I took the Cosmo back to Kawato's shop last night because he wants to investigate a few issues that have popped up since I got it back...I took the Cosmo for a drive about a week after I picked it up and while I was leaving my parking garage, the "HEAT" warning light came on...It disappeared as soon as I started driving and the car ran beautifully afterwards...Then, while backing up into my parking space after the drive, the "HEAT" light came back on and the 20B started to have a low lumpy idle and the exhaust was a bit smokey...Fast forward to yesterday and the Cosmo started up fine but initial idle rpm was lower than normal and the exhaust was a bit smokey at first...Then I tapped the gas and it resumed a normal warm-up rpm and was fine once I started driving...The "HEAT" warning light did not appear at all yesterday despite the idle issue and the Cosmo was never so smooth as it was yesterday driving to Kawato's shop.

At first Kawato suspected the new Battery Disconnect Switch was affecting the electrical system but after checking voltages, it seemed to be fine...Now he's not sure what is causing the issue but it could still be electrical...It's unlikely to be my alternator as I had that rebuilt just a few years ago...I'm also keeping in mind that each time I drive my Cosmo after picking it up, it seems to have fewer of these issues which relates to the ECU having to "learn" again after being without battery juice for a while...What do you guys think?

Anyone have a similar experience?

On another note, I now notice a clanking or rattling noise coming from underneath the Cosmo whenever I drive over a bumpy / rough road...It feels like it's coming from some part of the exhaust system...Kawato is also going to check that out...I hope he doesn't msg me back with bad news!

My heat light used to come on randomly also. The idle drop and black exhaust would be a result of the heat-lamp coming on.

As soon as the ECU gets this warning, it would dump more fuel into the rotors in an attempt to cool the engine. All of that extra fuel will cause your black smoke. Further to this a drop in idle can be attributed to decrease in the amount of power the engine is now making at idle due to all of the excess fuel.

The Cosmo's factory ECU is also pretty 'dumb'. I personally wouldn't attribute much of these symptoms to it re-learning. It will most likely be some wiring on relay issues due to 20+ years of brutal 20B engine heat.

Oh, and every time you say Kawato, I immediately thing of 'Kuato' from Total Recall. (The good one!)

total-recall-movie-image-kuato.jpg

I don't think Kuato would be a very good mechanic though!

My heat light used to come on randomly also. The idle drop and black exhaust would be a result of the heat-lamp coming on.

As soon as the ECU gets this warning, it would dump more fuel into the rotors in an attempt to cool the engine. All of that extra fuel will cause your black smoke. Further to this a drop in idle can be attributed to decrease in the amount of power the engine is now making at idle due to all of the excess fuel.

The Cosmo's factory ECU is also pretty 'dumb'. I personally wouldn't attribute much of these symptoms to it re-learning. It will most likely be some wiring on relay issues due to 20+ years of brutal 20B engine heat.

Oh, and every time you say Kawato, I immediately thing of 'Kuato' from Total Recall. (The good one!)

I don't think Kuato would be a very good mechanic though!

I saw this and thought you might be interested...

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h177272492

Thanks for all that info, Berty...Very informative!

Kawato (fortunately no relation to Kuato from Total Recall haha...Good one ;) ) got two error codes when he had my Cosmo over the past week...One was for the Pressure Sensor and the other was for the OMP (oil metering pump)...After finding out Mazda no longer sells 20B pressure sensors, he cleaned the sensor and that worked / cleared the code...All seemed well (despite the OMP still causing an error code) until I drove my Cosmo home today...The Cosmo went into limp mode again at the same location / distance from the shop as before but after restarting the engine, it was fine and while backing up into my parking space, the HEAT light came on again and exhaust was emitting a bit of black smoke.

I sent a text to Kawato afterwards and he msg'd back that it would be a good idea to change the sensor...Although an initial search came up with nothing, he's going to try again and locate a new or used sensor in good condition...I posted up a new thread specifically about where to obtain a new sensor... http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...776-For-Sale&p=6230526&viewfull=1#post6230526

As for the OMP...Eventually I will have to replace it but for now it does not seem to be an immediate issue.

Thanks as well for the heads up on those used Autoexe coilovers, Berty...I did come across them in the past and I'm keeping them in mind...Ideally though, I would like to go with brand new custom coilovers if I can afford it!

Ps...I am happy to have my Cosmo back for now and despite these idling issues, as always...It's a pleasure to drive! :D

I know, I haven't posted updates in a while but the good news is, I have updates!

Unfortunately, I still have the black-smoke-at-idle issue and it seems to be getting worse...I was waiting for the weather to warm up before bringing it to Kawato (at TCP Magic)...My Cosmo is there now and here's the health report...

- It's possible that my wires and sensors are getting old and loosing power

- One of my rubber exhaust hangers broke so I'm having both sides replaced with aftermarket hangers

Step 1...Replace rubber exhaust hangers
Step 2...Pick up Cosmo and use the Air Conditioning (to raise the RPM) as a temporary solution to the black-smoke-at-idle issue
Step 3...Wait for Kawato to locate a new or used 20B Pressure Sensor and bring the Cosmo back to TCP Magic
Step 4...Begin the process of elimination and see if the replaced Pressure Sensor makes a difference

Here are a couple pics courtesy of TCP Magic...

Black_Exhaust.JPG

Broken_Hanger.JPG

As always...To be continued...

Back