Oil Change

EDIT: Below, it is not clear if Mercon SP SHOULD be used for the Aisin F21++ in the CX-9.

Davicho, I take the exception to mean that Mobil 1 should not be used for CVT's or Mercon SP, or Type F.

DO our units (Aisin F21++) use SP which means that Mobil 1 is not recommended?

Ceric,

I will call Amsoil and see what they say about using Synth for Mercon SP. They tend to reside on the more "loose" side of the use spectrum, good or bad.

Last edited:
Spoke with Amsoil tech department. Mercon SP is a thinner oil classified as "fuel efficient" and it is not compatible unless specifically mentioned as such.

Amsoil makes a "blue label" full synth that is an upgrade/replacement for Mercon SP.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atl.aspx

How much I should order for the flush and fill? (If that is the right oil)

Last edited:
Ford has its own transmission.
Mazda CX9 uses transmission from Aisin, who also supplies transmission to Volvo, Toyota and Lexus among others.
JWS3309 and Toyota T-IV are probably the same with diff names. My guess only.
Neither is synthetic.

So using a synth that meets JWS3309 should work just fine. Such as Mobil 1 Synth ATF- which says it meets it.

Got it, thanks. Took me a while there.

Last edited:
It is very difficult to get the fluid out from the torque converter if possible.
Therefore, if you use a different fluid, make sure you understand that you will be mixing two kinds of fluid in the transmission. No one knows the effect of it. I am not risking it personally.
The benefit of using synthetic deminishes if you replace it regularly, says every 15k after first 30K replacement.

In my BMW days (hanging around BMW forums), that was what most owners did to their "life-time fuid" transmissions. Those who did not, some experienced failed transmission between 75K to 100K. My friend's '03 BMW 323i had transmission failure at only 55K. When the pan was opened, a bunch of metal debris fell down (as big as rice grains), and the fluid was very dark and dirty. The cost of replacement in BMW case was $5000!!!
(BMW warranties their vehicle for .... you guessed it! 50K miles)

Not trying to scare you, folks.
I just have a hard time believing in "life-time" XYZ. That is all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back