Official Perrin Thread

jurgs01 said:
You got yours? Mine is close. Is it really deep? Highway drone? Details.
It is very very loud. But the quality and performance is unbelievable. Who ever buys this exhaust will be very happy as long as they dont mind a loud but mean sounding exhaust.

It sounds so good in that clip. Can't really tell how loud it is, but the sound is definitely great. Only thing I'm not sure is the loudness, seeing as how you said it's very very loud. Maybe some more clips will show the noise level.

~brian

mspeed101 said:
It is very very loud. But the quality and performance is unbelievable. Who ever buys this exhaust will be very happy as long as they dont mind a loud but mean sounding exhaust.

I will have it soon hopefully if it doesnt rain tommorow I will take some in the car video clips. Its very loud anyone down here that has been in my car will tell you the same.

OMG!!!!!! It's FUKENBLOWEN!!!(2thumbs) When the car was first started, the whole freaken building shook!(wow) It's freaken loud, but nice deep loud. Great clean quality sound! ***** <5 stars out of 5. We drove by a SRT-4, he didn't know what to think. He smiled, and went, we blew him in the dust... LOL(wiggle)

Last edited:
What happened to this thread? :confused: Perrin hasn't been online in 3 weeks & hasn't posted anything in nearly a month. I can't figure out why the links on their site for the MSP won't work (when we were told they would work when the parts were released) & why there is no info about the new stuff that is supposed to be coming out. I was considering the adjustable SS, but I can't find any info on here because it seems that no one has it. Cullen has it listed, but I don't know if it's actually out yet. I'm not trying to make a big deal, I'd just like to know what's going on?

Edit: Any update on this?

PERRIN_JOHN said:
I also have our Research and Design team attempting to come up with a no hassle solution to the relatively small intake and exist for the stock BOV. Trying to find a real world solution to the common "turkey" (turkey) complaint.
Also, the lightened crank pulley is supposed to be done today...update? :)

Last edited:
Black Majik MSP said:
What happened to this thread? :confused: Perrin hasn't been online in 3 weeks & hasn't posted anything in nearly a month. I can't figure out why the links on their site for the MSP won't work (when we were told they would work when the parts were released) & why there is no info about the new stuff that is supposed to be coming out. I was considering the adjustable SS, but I can't find any info on here because it seems that no one has it. Cullen has it listed, but I don't know if it's actually out yet. I'm not trying to make a big deal, I'd just like to know what's going on?

Edit: Any update on this?

Also, the lightened crank pulley is supposed to be done today...update? :)

Absolutely correct.
I apologize..i have been neglecting you all. We design and produce our websites in house. We have been completely restructuring the entire PERRIN website from scratch. Much more information, Live chat, loads of fun info and an install difficulty rating for every part. This has been quite taxing the last few weeks draining 60 to 80 hrs a week from the schedual. I realize now that my subscription service to the forums has stopped working so I was not getting those daily reminders to come on and chat.
All of the MAZDA protg has its own section on the new web site with every image clickable to bring it up to full screen. Please be lenient when the site goes online. There will in evidently be some spelling errors and some broken link..constructive criticism is always welcome. New site should be up before Christmas.
I will try to stay current with the forums.

PERRIN_JOHN said:
Absolutely correct.
I apologize..i have been neglecting you all. We design and produce our websites in house. We have been completely restructuring the entire PERRIN website from scratch. Much more information, Live chat, loads of fun info and an install difficulty rating for every part. This has been quite taxing the last few weeks draining 60 to 80 hrs a week from the schedual. I realize now that my subscription service to the forums has stopped working so I was not getting those daily reminders to come on and chat.
All of the MAZDA protg has its own section on the new web site with every image clickable to bring it up to full screen. Please be lenient when the site goes online. There will in evidently be some spelling errors and some broken link..constructive criticism is always welcome. New site should be up before Christmas.
I will try to stay current with the forums.
Thanks John...part of what convinced me to buy your FMIC is service like this. (2thumbs)

Here is a copy of a post i made on another thread.....

xtrememps said:
I was thinking about that (the adjustability) getting loose or having a possibility of breaking. I'm curious to see reviews though...

The adjustable mechanism uses 3 set screw for security. Though we DO NOT have a problem with any of our Short shifters becoming loose you can use lock tight for security. As far as breaking..Impossible!. The PERRIN short shifter is made completely of hardened 1144 steel with a black oxide coating insuring long-term reliability.
The hardened steel design will prevent shift rod distortion prone to aluminum shift rods and make the part indestruciable.

ms01.jpg

apexlater said:
I've driven the Perrin in a WRX and it wasn't very good. The throws were a little shorter, but it was notchy (in a bad way), and somehow made shifting a little inprecise. Like I said, this was in a WRX, I have no idea about a Protege.

The Subaru WRX Short shifter is different It is a shifter adaptor. The reason that the shifter felt imprecise when compared to the Mazdaspeed, or any other car for that matter, is in the stock WRX shifter design. The shifter itself is actually made of 2 pieces isolated by rubber. The shifter actually has a bit of give or squish every time you put it into gear. Makes it feel kind of funny.

The short shifter is available now and will be prominently displayed on our all-new web site in the weeks ahead.

This was also posted in thread: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1351358#post1351358

are u ever gonna make the downpipe ? plz let me a hear a final word if not im gonna get the GHL downpipe. if u are when ?

mazdaspdprotege said:
are u ever gonna make the downpipe ? plz let me a hear a final word if not im gonna get the GHL downpipe. if u are when ?

Its official we will not be producing the turbo down pipe. (nervous)

When designing a new part we consider the longevity of the part, longevity of the vehicle using the part, horsepower created by the part and of course the suggested retail price.

The overall horsepower gains of this part should be minimal. (This is in comparison to other upgrades costing approx. the same price.) The meandering path the exhaust must take after leaving the turbocharger cannot be straightened. In this case the stock piece is pretty good. Increasing the diameter of the piping would be the only way to create any horsepower. Of course the rear flange attaching to the Cat back exhaust would have to be a 3 flange. If the part necked town to the stock exhaust diameter all possible gain from the enlarged piping would be lost. Unfortunately the extreme close proximity of a 3 down pipe to the air conditioner compressor will have a serious effect on compressor longevity. Remember under hard driving this part can even glow red hot!

For longevity of the part it would have to be made of 321 stainless. Mandrel bent for a nice smooth arc. Unfortunately this would also drive the price up.

The combination of low horsepower gains, questionable longevity for some vehicle systems, and a choice in either low product longevity or high MSRP has made our company choose not to produce this part. I apologize to those who may have had their hopes up.

I appreciate the info. I was just wondering if you ever fixed the FMIC centering problems. I have yet to recieve mine because i heard that Perrin was fixing a couple of things...

Have you guys gotten the improved SRI design out yet? Mine's taking up space in my garage.

Back