New CX-5 Carbon Edition owner

Re: WeatherTech, I skimmed the forum, I get that they're not perfect but they're better than stock and the ones I had on my Mustang were well worth the spend, so we'll see how far this gets us.
Most people here getting the WeatherTech floor liners for the CX-5 is because they had good experience with them in the past with other vehicles, not knowing WeatherTech did a very poor design job for the CX-5, especially with such high price. See post #4 above.

On the contrary, many here believe this (Canadian-only) OEM Premium Floor Liners are the best available for the CX-5:

They are the best by far. They look 100% better than the Weathertech, they do not get slippery when wet and they wear very well.
8D311BCA-0CE1-4E38-A8AD-65E359586DEE.jpeg

View attachment 303445
2019 Floor Mats?

Thanks so much for the link, sounds like the SD card might be more trouble than it's worth... do you happen to know if there's a way to map the dedicated nav button on the center console to open something specific, say Google Maps? If I'm not gonna use the OEM nav, I'd like to keep the quick launch functionality.
As long as you don’t do the map upgrade via Mazda Toolbox, you can use the Amazon SD card at least to enable the road sign recognition feature.

Regarding this. Come on. No one thought they were buying a legit Mazda Navi Card for $80 when Mazda charges $300.
And I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pirated one if I wanted one. Not going to lie.
$300 is insanity.
I wouldn't give it another thought @frinkly
To answer your other question, when Android Auto is running the Nav button does map to Maps.

Hi, are you me? :p

I think this quote is pretty much dead on, coming from a Mustang in 6-speed manual and looking for a fun ride in the SUV category.

I just placed an order for a 2021 Carbon Turbo AWD that should be arriving this weekend. I've got the WeatherTech mats and Amazon SD card en route, but I wanted to ask you about de-badging the emblems, since I'm considering doing that myself: which ones did you end up removing?

I ask because I'm looking to get as much removed as possible but I'm getting mixed answers from Mazda part shops around me about which badges are covering holes and which aren't. Curious what your approach was.

If I can't remove a badge, I'd like to have it blacked out.

Congrats! I'm really really happy with my decision.

Weathertech mats: Unfortunately the driver mat doesnt do a good job covering essential areas I put my feet. To fix this, I added a piece of black .030 PVC ~3.5"x12" with VHB to the mat from my work to cover the dead pedal area.

De-badging: I removed the 'awd' and the 'turbo', as these don't have pins (the others do). I just waited for a warm day and picked them off - just give them a twist and they'll pop right off. I'm contemplating removing the 'CX-5' and the 'skyactive' badges and wrapping the whole panel in matte black, but (for me) to do it right I'll have to remove the panel.

As far as blacking out the badges, it's so easy to do with plastidip... I wouldn't recommend paying someone to do it.

Current and upcoming modifications.
  • tint ✔️- front windows currently 50% (meh, but legal)
  • intake ✔️ - CS w/ heatshield installed
  • paddle shifter conversion with extensions
  • Strut Brace - Autoexe is in my dreams
  • exhaust - probably Racing Beat unless someone can convince me otherwise.
  • Suspension - although a lot needs to be done to do it right, so I'm on the fence.
  • Wheels - tbd
  • Subtle aero (spoiler\mid wing, subtle fender flares) - Maxton Designs has some interesting stuff coming out.
  • lighting✔️ - upgraded to full LED exterior lights, LASFIT (with switchback front signals) as recommended here. Also looking at fog light options (that actually work)

You are well on to the slippery slope!

My next mod is the CS oil catch can that is sitting in my garage awaiting after Christmas free time. Better and wider tires and Racing Beat exhaust in the new year.

an update...
  • tint ✔️- front windows started at 50%, switched to 35%
  • intake ✔️ - CS w/ heatshield installed
  • exhaust ✔️ - Racing Beat
  • Subtle aero ✔️ Maxton Designs roof spoiler (made for KE, but fits KF okay)
  • interior lighting ✔️ - upgraded to LED interior lights,
  • Exterior lighting (1/2) ✔️ - LASFIT (rear signals, switchback front signals) brake lights failed and were stuck on bright after a few months.
  • fog lights ✔️ oem with stalk from mazdaswag and laminex - self installed, not too bad.
  • Snow tires ✔️ - Vredstein Wintrac pro's 225/55/19 on stock wheels - cheaper than all seasons (when I got them)
  • Suspension ✔️/wip - CS + Bilstein + adjustable control arms of some sort
  • vent visors ✔️- amazon
  • Wireless android auto ✔️ - motorola MA-1 (works amazingly)
  • paddle shifter conversion with extensions - after living without them for the past 2 years, not so sure I even want them.
  • CS Turbo inlet pipe - not sure about this one either, as CS themselves said that intakes do nothing on a turbo engine.
  • Strut Brace - Autoexe is in my dreams - not sure I even want/need this, as the strut towers are already tied together with the unibody.
  • Tune - I bought the JB4 (not installed yet), but am very intrigued with the DRtuned ECU flash tune that was just released
  • Wheels - tbd
Currently collecting parts for the next series of mods for summer
JB4
CS Springs
Bilstein shocks
- Looking at control arm options
- Looking at wheel options something 19" or 20" x 8.5 ~35-40et

Contemplating buying all the parts to build the front spings/struts outside the car (~$250 eek) so I can just swap them in (easier than using spring compressors for install, and if/when I want to go back to stock)

Last edited:

A substantial update! (y)

Just a note on the intake - in the blog post you linked, they were referring specifically to the shield/box that you can buy for the Corksport short ram intake. They also liken it to using a cold air intake, implying that there is no benefit to using a cold air intake vs a short ram intake. On their product page for the turbo inlet pipe, Corksport claims the following:

With the limited tuning abilities currently available we are being limited by the ECU load limits and controls. However, we are seeing solid gains across the majority of the RPM range; gains of 5-17wHP & 9-31wTQ where measured with a DynaPak chassis dyno with the installation of the TIP & SRI Combo on an otherwise stock vehicle.

The TIP combined with the SRI will help a bit. For me these pieces will work together much better once DRtuned releases their full tune from testing to net higher overall gains.

For the bluetooth audio - with the vehicle on and phone connected go into the setting -> connectivity -> bluetooth. Click on your phone and make sure it's set for phone and audio. Mine will change to phone only sometimes when it's only connected via bluetooth after it was previously on android auto
pikashow apk
ppsspp gold apk

Last edited:
an update... suspension ✔️

It took some digging, but found some OEM-ish control arms

1687074749441.png

• Suspension ✔️ - corksport + Bilstein + lykt control arms
now tires are the weakest link... down the rabbit hole we go.

Attachments

• PXL_20230617_191550426.jpg
    PXL_20230617_191550426.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20230617_213640609.jpg
    PXL_20230617_213640609.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 45
I'll echo the choice of the U Guard Maxpider 3d mats. They are an excellent choice, BUT, the OEM Mazda Canada mats look even better (with the CX-5 emblem) and are also made by U Guard. I have owned both of these mats over the years. They both completely cover the dead pedal which was the main reason I bought them.

I'm somewhat of a naysayer with strut braces.
I had one on my gen 1 crv to help prevent the strut towers from failing when lowered, I think it helped. But as my Audi had one from the factory (sport suspension), I figured I'd go for it.

The autoexe bar was kind of a pipe dream piece for me, and of course it took a month to arrive and came damaged (scratches and paint chips). the vendor mazmart did nothing to help. Pretty frustrating, especially given their apparent presence in Mazda parts/tuning.

On the cx5, it definitely makes the front end more rigid. I can feel the road more. However I haven't noticed a big change in handling or driveability.

Autoexe recently changed the model number of the strut bar (not sure why as it looks the same to me).

Pardon the unkept engine bay.

1000007753.jpg
1000007754.jpg

1000007913.png

1000007655.jpg

1000007195.jpg

Attachments

• 1000007913.png
    1000007913.png
    988 KB · Views: 20
Back