New 82 FB owner

Mazdamatic

:
Mazda 2 Sport
Hello guys,
juts bought a 1982 FB GSL for 2000 (little high but...)
car runs great
has high miles (over 150k) on original engine!
only had seals changed once
guy who owned it before me was a mechanic who actually know about rotaries and took care of it.
he installed a new clutch, ignition, 4 wheel discs, battery and some other stuff (dont care to look at the list)
has a spooled diff (which i found out is fun...lol)

just going to clean it up, fix a few small bugs in the lines and then wrap it and enjoy a nice weekend car.

this is one of my dream cars and i feel so lucky to have one. ive only seen 1 other in houston... (FB that is)
only issue is it smokes a lil, and its either the cat/exhaust or not getting fuel. but since the smoke goes away after a bit i believe its just the exhaust. but ive driven it several times in the past few days and it drives like a champ and its a blast!

8474245371_236813abeb_z.jpg

8475333998_bf47aa28f8_z.jpg

8475334956_48c0d6cf01_z.jpg

8475335562_daa6bc6783_z.jpg

8474246781_d0696c7887_z.jpg

Good pickup with the GSL! That means you get the four wheel disk brakes and rear locking differential from the factory. I always like the FBs but I couldn't deal with the solid rear axle. It looks to be a little rough around the edges but manageable. What are yoyr plans?

Good pickup with the GSL! That means you get the four wheel disk brakes and rear locking differential from the factory. I always like the FBs but I couldn't deal with the solid rear axle. It looks to be a little rough around the edges but manageable. What are yoyr plans?
yeah the last owner spooled the diff so its quite fun lol its not too bad on the edges, just needs to be cleaned up. ill prolly wrap it at work as well as do an alignment and check up on it. just going to wrap it. find some new wheels/tires and prolly just enjoy a nice show/weekend car.

well got the rear brakes parts in for the drums (not discs but still no biggie) going to install them at work in a day or 2 so i can finally use my handbrake.

also going to buy some filler and fill in the cracks in the dash then sand over it all and prolly paint or dip the dash black. also getting an alignment as it needs one bad.

then ill see about getting new 13in falkens (like whats on the car) or upgrading to 15s. tbh i like the 13s on the car.

then ill prolly either get new hoses/lines or new bushings and some mounts for a few things. took the seat covers off and the seats are fine. which is a surprise for a 30yo car!

been driving it around for a few days. this car is a blast to drive. its fun to toss with worn tires and a locked diff. it likes to slide.... (but i wont be doing that to it....)

The GSL should have disk brakes from the factory, they swapped the OEM rear end for what you have now .
smoking when its cold is worn seals if it still pulls well leave it for now. I would upgrade to 15"x7 wheels it gives you more tire options you can run a 205/50-15 tire no problem n the car.

The GSL should have disk brakes from the factory, they swapped the OEM rear end for what you have now .
smoking when its cold is worn seals if it still pulls well leave it for now. I would upgrade to 15"x7 wheels it gives you more tire options you can run a 205/50-15 tire no problem n the car.

doesnt smoke anymore. though i believe the cat is going out. gonna upgrade to 15s soon just so i do have more options. the previous owner was gonna swap discs onto the rear kinda bumped it had drums but no biggie for now. got the rear drums reinstalled. new brake lines as well. still need rear adjusters that i had to order direct from mazda so also no ebrake till then. got an alignment but also need a new steering box i believe to fix my loose steering wheel. so just got a small alignment (which helped alot car doesnt swerve at all anymore!) until then.

check the oil, previous owner just changed it. hopefully with old fashion dino oil.

next i want to change all the bushing out for some new ones. then buy some filler and fill/sand/paint the dash.

having a blast driving it though =] my first rwd and manual car (though i learned in a speed3 so im not a total clutch newb)

going to take out the old radio and put in some gauges so i can monitor a lil better.

Not sure what's going on with the rear. As stated all GSL's came with rear discs so I'm not sure why a PO swapped them out. That also begs the question, "are you sure you have a locking differential?"

I premix my fuel so that I can run full synthetic oil. I removed the OMP, they will go bad and you may not notice till its to late. I premix with a 1 oz. per gal. ratio, I have been doing it for about 5-7 years. I use Royal Purple full sythetic 2 stroke oil that they make for ATV's and Snowmobiles, it doesn't smoke or smell like a 2 stroke.

Looks like a lot of fun..
My 82 Rx has been in the family since day 1.. it now has a early 4-port 13B with boost (Supercharger)..they are a lot of fun..
if you need any questions answered dont be shy to ask..

Dan

ill be asking away if need be =]

the previous owner (im number 4) said he had no clue why the dude before him had drums on it and thats why he took them off in hopes of putting discs on as he wanted to track the car. thats why he lowered the price on it as he took them off the day i got there. dont want to sound a total noob (and maybe i can just google) but is there any way to tell a locked/spooled diff from lsd or open?

Back