My 1991 Black on Black Cosmo Type-S (USA)

Thanks for that info..

I have a guy locally does amazing job and he quoted me $1500. All SS, Dolphin tip, 2 pre silencers and 2 mufflers, from Dp to back.. I think I'm going to do it.

Dude,
You have some incredible looking cars.

How do you get such cool lighting effects?

The Corvette I saw in the background of the UIM pics isn't yours too is it?

Thanks for that info..

I have a guy locally does amazing job and he quoted me $1500. All SS, Dolphin tip, 2 pre silencers and 2 mufflers, from Dp to back.. I think I'm going to do it.

NICE! (thumb)

I really dig the sound of the Mazdaspeed exhaust but someday I'd like to replace the entire exhaust system from the downpipe to the tips with a custom system designed to maximize airflow but at the same time...Retain the current civilized yet ballsy exhaust tone...:D

Keep us updated...I'd love to see pics of the system and hear how it sounds! (2thumbs)

PS...Dave (DMRH) has a super sweet custom exhaust setup that can be seen on his site.

Antoine,

Are you going to 7Stock in Sept? If so, Let me know.. we could hang :)

AWW MAN! That's the same time as Petit Le Mans/Touring Car @ Road Atlanta...I've been wanting to hit up both events for years...What's a Mazda Man to do?

That said...Big Thanks for the offer...It would be great to hang out at 7Stock (which is at Mazda NA in Irvine right?) ...:D

Just a few days ago...I posted a thread about possibly hitting up Road Atlanta (Antoine @ Petit Le Mans / Road Atlanta...?) and I do plan on visiting my Parents in SoCal to take care of some stuff as well...It would be a lot easier to attend 7Stock in this case but in anycase, I've still got some scheduling issues to sort out first.

Sorry for the threadjack...Let's definitely keep in touch! :)

I know... I'm about 2 hours away from Road ATL and been to it few times.

But if you are a rotorhead, you can't beat 7stock... and my event DGRR :)

Since your family is in SoCal, I say you should goto 7stock... Let me know if you head out there.. We'll hang out!

Update on the Cosmo...

I just picked up my cosmo with full 3 inch exhaust (no pre-cat, no main cats) with 1 large SS silencer and 2 x SS magnaflow mufflers... also added dolphin tip (like RE-A).

driving it back from the shop, I could totally feel the power and faster reponse!! I'll post pics tomorrow.

BIG props to Walker Morgan at Morgan Performance Fabrication (http://www.mpfab.com/index.htm).

Update on the Cosmo...

I just picked up my cosmo with full 3 inch exhaust (no pre-cat, no main cats) with 1 large SS silencer and 2 x SS magnaflow mufflers... also added dolphin tip (like RE-A).

driving it back from the shop, I could totally feel the power and faster reponse!! I'll post pics tomorrow.

BIG props to Walker Morgan at Morgan Performance Fabrication (http://www.mpfab.com/index.htm).

Pcitures? Pfftt better make it video I wanna hear that thing

I posted here..

http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_forum/showthread.php?t=8786

Update..

Description: Eliminated pre-cat x 1, main cat x 2, silencer x 2, muffler x 2.
All stainless steel 2.5 inch stock DP to 3 inch all the way back and straight. 1 x 1 to 2 out larger SS Magnaflow muffler to 2 x 3 inch SS Magnaflow mufflers.. Custom SS Dolphin exhaust tip.

Car spools so much better and it has a deep throaty tone. It also feels like I gained about 25-40 HP.. But that's with my butt dyno. The stock exhaust was all rusted and was falling apart...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• CosmoExhaust1.jpg
    CosmoExhaust1.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 1,156
  • CosmoExhaust2.jpg
    CosmoExhaust2.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
I know... I'm about 2 hours away from Road ATL and been to it few times.

But if you are a rotorhead, you can't beat 7stock... and my event DGRR :)

Since your family is in SoCal, I say you should goto 7stock... Let me know if you head out there.. We'll hang out!

Tough call man...lol...I'm still working the details out but if I do end up going to 7stock...I'll be sure to let you know! :D

Pcitures? Pfftt better make it video I wanna hear that thing

(mswerd)

Description: Eliminated pre-cat x 1, main cat x 2, silencer x 2, muffler x 2.
All stainless steel 2.5 inch stock DP to 3 inch all the way back and straight. 1 x 1 to 2 out larger SS Magnaflow muffler to 2 x 3 inch SS Magnaflow mufflers.. Custom SS Dolphin exhaust tip.

Car spools so much better and it has a deep throaty tone. It also feels like I gained about 25-40 HP.. But that's with my butt dyno. The stock exhaust was all rusted and was falling apart...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just goes to show how restrictive the stock exhaust is...That's quite a few canisters to go through!

I'm not surprised your experiencing a very noticeable difference with the new system...From bone stock to a custom 3" system with a 2.5" DP...That's got to be like a "night & day" difference!

How about your local state laws/emissions rules? How are you able to run sans cats etc on a car that's not pre-'73?

As for the tips...I've seen those before...While I dig straight tips...Those dolphin tips do provide an interesting look! (thumb)

The beauty of living in Alabama... No emissions :) But I'm going to keep my stock cats just in case in the future.

Yeah, it was a hard call.. At first I wanted to look much like stock exhaust system.. but then I remember RE-A dolphin tips and thought, why not!! Lets go JDM :) The blue tip was my fabricator's thing.. And I think it turned out great!

Update...

I took the UIM and IC pipings off to put on my black powder coated stuff.. During my swap, I've took the cooling line to/from TB and bypassed it.. So far, everything looks great!! I'll snap some pics once I get the rest of the powder coated stuff on.

Updated pics... Installed my Tein Coilovers, powder coated goodies, etc..

Coilover..
CosmoCoilover1.jpg

Engine bay with some powdercoated goodies..
Cosmoengine1.jpg

My 7 and the cosmo... As you could see, Cosmo's height is now perfect :)

7andCosmo1.jpg

Stop hogging up all the rotaries Herblenny. j/k. Looks awesome bro. All ur cars are equally sexy.

LOL! I know.. If my wife would let me, I would own every rotary ever made.. But I think this is it and from now on I would have to get rid of one to get another..

Looking very nice. What spring rates did you end up using in your coil-overs?

Berty, I'm not sure.. I did talked to the guys at Tein about them and I think they are 500-600 front and 4-500 rear.. But I can't recall but I don't think they are beyond those. Another good thing about these are that they are rebuildable by Tein and here in the states vs. sending them off to another country.

Nice collection if i had 3 cars it would probably be rx8 rx7 and cosmo.

what are your thoughts on the handling characteristics and chasis of the cosmo vs the other cars?

weight distribution, length. there's simply not enough information about their handling.
mines a 13b so its different once again. some insight would be good.

Cosmo is more of a luxury car...

8 handles the best out of the box. I say as good as my modified FD.

FD is still my favorite though.. everytime I get in it, it puts a smile on my face and the power it makes, you just can't beat it..

the word luxury scares me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4wwJPJIahE
love their dash though.

yeah iv heard rx8 has the most rigid chasis along with softest suspension.
I'm just assuming your cars get to the track. which is something i should do for better control. no cars taken me so long to get used to as the cosmo.
i can usually jump in something with no fear but its hard to figure out its limits.
i have initiated drifts accidently and had to flck it from side to side for a good 100 meters with no room for mistake. had no trouble traveling straight whilst sideways if you know what i mean.
and it seems incredibly hard to loop.

Back