Mud Flaps

:
2014 Mazda6 Sport MT
Has anyone installed these? The instructions are a bit lacking when it comes to the cutting part.
I'm installing the rear ones.

I installed them last week. On the rear, you remove the two bolts on the bottom side of the rear bumper cover, then you can seperate the black plastic wheel well liner from the bumper cover. If you look with a flashlight closely, you can see two sections with two scribe lines in the plastic about an inch apart. I just used side cutters to snip the plastic lines then connect them to cut out a notch. The cut doesn't have to be perfect as the mud flap will cover the cut plastic. If you don't remove the wheels you will have to use a ratchet handle with a screwdriver bit inside a 1/4" socket to have clearance. I jacked the rear of the car up for more room.

I installed them last week. On the rear, you remove the two bolts on the bottom side of the rear bumper cover, then you can seperate the black plastic wheel well liner from the bumper cover. If you look with a flashlight closely, you can see two sections with two scribe lines in the plastic about an inch apart. I just used side cutters to snip the plastic lines then connect them to cut out a notch. The cut doesn't have to be perfect as the mud flap will cover the cut plastic. If you don't remove the wheels you will have to use a ratchet handle with a screwdriver bit inside a 1/4" socket to have clearance. I jacked the rear of the car up for more room.

Thanks CMFIREMAN! That's great info. I got up under there on Sunday, but just wasn't sure where to find those scribe lines. I plan on jacking up the car and pulling the tires off for more elbow room.

I just installed mud flaps this weekend. The rear scribe lines are on the inside surface of the wheel well liners; on the mating surface between the liner and bumper. Similar locations as the bolts holding the front mud flaps next to the wheel.

Here's a couple of shots of the flaps installed....

Attachments

• Flap 2.JPG
    Flap 2.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,139
  • Rear flap 1.JPG
    Rear flap 1.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,047
  • Flap 3.JPG
    Flap 3.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 982
Last edited:
I just installed mud flaps this weekend. The rear scribe lines are on the inside surface of the wheel well liners; on the mating surface between the liner and bumper. Similar locations as the bolts holding the front mud flaps next to the wheel.

CMFIREMAN's directions are perfect! I installed a set over the weekend using the ratchet screwdriver method to keep from having to pull the wheels or jack up the car. Word of warning, my salesman warned that when ever you change tire pressure or rotate tires that the Tire Pressure Sensor should be reset (dash button next to your left knee sitting behind the wheel) Not sure if simply pulling wheels applies but can't hurt to toggle the reset.

I would like the people who have installed the mudflaps to give me their opinion as to do they do enough good to be worth the price.They look very small,especially the front.When I had my Mazda2(what I traded for my 6),I installed the mudflaps,and the rear worked OK,but the front were totally worthless.Any splashes went way up the doors.The front for the Mazda6 look like they don't come down far enough just like on the Mazda2.Plus,IMO,they hurt the lines of the car.

Last edited:
The reason behind this being the front wheels turn and the rear ones dont. If you actually went for the big mudflaps, that'll make your 6 ugly. Take my word and just get regular washes to keep the car in a little better shape. :D

Last edited:
Regular washes wont remove the stone chips from the paint because you didn't have mud flaps. You should at least get something.

did anyone else had a chance to try to knockoffs available on ebay or elswhere? someone told me they come short of some screws and is it also recommended to get it done by a mechanic or the auto parts guy instead of doing it myself? I've never done this before so don't wanna screw anything up.

Like to see some mudflap installed pics to see the body lines, not too close-up. I really want to get them!

Update: I bought 2 sets of the generic ones on ebay (extra set is a backup set for a few years down the road). Totally excellent, no cutting anything, and they use existing screws and pushpins! Look great!!!

Last edited:
Installed my $20 or so priced mud flaps from Ebay. Surprised to find its of good quality. A rubbery type of plastic. Has Mazda6 / Atenza stamped in the insides as well them. It makes me wonder if these were made in the same factory as oem because they look and feel oem. Came shipped from China. Looks oem on mazda6 2016.

Do I have to juck up the car and/or remove the wheels in order to install the mud flaps? Own 2016 CX-5 GT. Thank you.

I did it on the ground with the wheels on. You will reuse some of the original push pins (pry out the center gently with chisel or sharp edge). Don't lose push pins and I didn't have to cut anything for the install.

Back