Ms3 Mpg

ya im a dumb ass...i knew our fuel tank was 14.5 gallons so i was just dividing 320 by 14.5..lol just filled up when my gas light came on and i only put in like 11.6 gallons and i got 311 miles to that tank...lol sry for the pointless thread

my car is running so rich right now. Even if Im nice and easy on it, I cant get more than 310 out of a tank. Boy do I love driving this car.

Plus I almost never drive freeway and if I do, its in rush hour.

I get about 26 mpg's. That's with both daily and highway driving. Something else I've noticed is that if you check your "info" when you fill up it will say you have like over 400 miles of driving left on your tank. But when you start to get to around 1/4 tank it starts to drop dramatically. I think the cpu does that automatically so that you'll refuel earlier than you need to.

did over 800 highway miles this week and came in at 29mpg. there were a few 120+ bursts in there but mostly cruising at 78mph.

super hot summer day on the hills back and forth to austin.... just under 28mpg...

i know on a flat trip with fewer stops and stoplights, i could get 30....

i WISH this car had a 14 gallon tank...

ya im a dumb ass...i knew our fuel tank was 14.5 gallons so i was just dividing 320 by 14.5..lol just filled up when my gas light came on and i only put in like 11.6 gallons and i got 311 miles to that tank...lol sry for the pointless thread

Well, that's 311/11.6 = 26.8. Pretty good.

320 Miles is roughly 25-26MPG. I average 280-310 with 70HWY/30CITY and a heavy foot. Mine is an average of 24.2MPG right now.

That should get better, but depending on where and how you drive, don't expect to get consistently more than 24 MPG. I am happy when I get 24. Remember, I drive about 80% HWY, and 20% CTY....

Just got mid 23MPG and that was on the same tank as when I cruised with the evolv chicago rotary club on a pretty spirited route.

from my poll on "another forum" (topic=74600.0, ahem.)

What average mpg are you getting in your mazdaspeed3? (calculated from the pump, do NOT use the trip computer!)

<20mpg
- 47 (10.3%)
20-21mpg
- 64 (14%)
22-23mpg
- 112 (24.5%)
24-25mpg
- 111 (24.3%)
26-27mpg
- 77 (16.8%)
28-29mpg
- 27 (5.9%)
30-31mpg
- 10 (2.2%)
>31mpg
- 9 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Installed a FMIC and inlet pipe and my mileage has decreased.

I'm enjoying the improved throttle response and extra boost a little too much. It will be hard to get the mileage back to where it was, the throttle is so much more eager than it used to be, even at first tip in. Ah well.

I did a 440 mile round trip cruise yesterday. Started at sea level with two peak elevations of 4,600ft and 4,400ft. The elevation at the midpoint of the trip was 2,800ft. My fuel economy on the way there was 28.8mpg and 33.4mpg on the way back. Average speed on the way there was 76mph and 63 mph on the return.

MPG figures are not from the trip computer but from filling the tank full each time a recording the mileage travelled.

Car is bone stock except for MS CAI. Outside temps ranged from 66 to 90 degrees.

Last edited:
I suggested it before ... how about putting your average speed with your mpg? The trip computer tells you this. I think it's relevant.

Also it helps to stay off the throttle when it's not necessary. There is no need to stay in the throttle when you know there is a red light coming up, or a stop sign. I also use hills to my advantage - since I use so much gas going up the hills, I typically coast down the other side. Basically you need to analyze every moment you are on the gas and make adjustments. This is also where it helps to monitor an instant MPG meter, to get a ballpark of how much gas you are using for that moment.

This, aside from keeping the right foot light, is the best reason many people get 25-26 vs 20-22mpg drivers. Plus, it saves on brake pads.

In summary, (try):
- accelerate modestly
- drive steady speed (no "throttle-jockeying")
- use the engine to slow the car (anticipate stops)

This will go a long way to improve gas mileage.

I always laugh when people get impatient behind me when I'm coasting towards a red light in the distance, burn past me, slam on the brakes to stop for the red light, then I roll past when it turns green because I didn't even have to stop.

Ha-ha! You and me drive alike, brother!

Back