Ms3 Mpg

One other thing to keep in mind. My calculated mpg has dropped a bit. But now I also start my car 15 minutes before I leave the house. I dont like to drive too hard when the engine is cold. This however makes my calculations dip.

Good Day Regularly getting 27-30 MPG when it is warm in Wisconsin, depending on lead in foot, in winter now I'm down to 21-25, remember if you use defrost it is just like air conditioner!

we have 10% ethanol blend here in texas, which does hurt the mileage...

i drive the HOV lane 23 miles in.. then stop and go for lunch/meetings...then 23 miles back out...

my last tank i got 23.4mpg, and the tank before was 22mpg... very happy with this, considering i don't exactly baby it around. i do short shift it (for lack of a better word), getting into the next gear quickly, not really revving it up much as i tool around town... man, i love torque!

with the smaller tank, a slight difference in driving habits over that tank will yield very different mileage results...

don't count on that trip computer for you average.. it doesn't work like that. the ones i have had on cars are always off... but i like the 'instant' on the tundra when i tow the boat... depressing as it is!

i check mine by seeing how many miles i got between the fill up, use the same pump, let it cut off automatically, and see how many gallons i used vs. how many miles i went on the last tank... that never lies!

driving to dallas tuesday, should be able to get a good idea on the highway mileage, and i'll report back..

i do wish this car had a 14 gallon tank like my old corolla... at 37mpg (no kidding!) that thing would go forever on a tank.....

colorado - summer trip computer says anywhere from 29-37 and winter is anywhere from 24-28mpg. Calculated at the pump is generally 1-3mpg less. If I drive normally (occasional spirited driving followed by responsible driving) I get about 26-27 in winter or summer.

I've average a little over 25mpg in ~8500 miles of mostly commuting to and from work in metro-Atlanta...I'm well pleased.

Some of you guys are driving slow as all hell getting 25+mpg in this thing. That are you drive on the HWY mostly. If you're getting 25+mpg in the city I would hate to be stuck behind you. My trip computer normally reads somewhere between 21-22 mpg and that's City driving about 90-95% of the time. So I'm autually getting somewhere between 18-20mpg and I'm pretty happy considering the cars power.

Does anyone think a CAI has any effect on MPG? I was getting high 20's, low 30's with my MSP... and I was driving it A LOT harder. It had a CAI from pretty much day 1 so I'm hoping adding one to my MS3 will make a difference.

I rarely let a tank of gas go by without ripping around a few times.

I also live in a very hilly area.

I usually get in the 24 range, sometimes less, sometimes more. I calculate by hand.

Does anyone think a CAI has any effect on MPG? I was getting high 20's, low 30's with my MSP... and I was driving it A LOT harder. It had a CAI from pretty much day 1 so I'm hoping adding one to my MS3 will make a difference.

A little bit yes. Consider your MSP was a lighter car, with a smaller less powerful engine. That affects mpg.

20.9 while driving it easy is abysmal. Either something is wrong with your car or your calculations are off.

When I beat on my car for most of a tank I'm getting 22ish. At the track though it's less than 10. (lol2)

I get 22 miles per US gallon. Not sure what that is in imperial gallons.

I get about 285 miles per tank, I usually fill up when the fuel light turns on, and put in just over 12.5 gallons. (I calculate this from liters/km - 460 km fill up with 47 litres, so thats just a shade over 10L/100km).

I don't know how you guys are getting 27 MPG city, or even combined. Unless you're calculating it by using imperial gallons. I don't use the computer for anything except telling me how far I've gone, then I divide by how much gas I put in. 3.7 Litres in one US gallon.

20.9 while driving it easy is abysmal. Either something is wrong with your car or your calculations are off.

I agree. I've yet to manually calculate it so we'll see if that differs. That's why I was curious as to what everyone else's trip computer said. apples/apples

Dsc

ive had mine for almost a year and i average 20 mph, about 220-230 miles to the tank. i have no idea how u guys are getting over 270, thats super crazy. But recently ive been driving with the dsc turned off and ive noticed ive been getting 30-50 extra miles to the tank

I will try driving with the DSC off just to see if it'll make any difference. I get 26.4 mpg's when driving in colder weather.

Can peoples post their shift RPMS as well? 26mpg is a lofty goal for my 22 MPG car and I'd like to see whats influencing people's mileage. Shift points and cruise rpms would help shed some light on that. Do you cruise at 30 mph in fourth at ~2200 rpm or fifth at ~1900 rpm?

And in the winter, I'm getting 217 miles per tank - thats 17.36 MPG.....ouch!

Can peoples post their shift RPMS as well? 26mpg is a lofty goal for my 22 MPG car and I'd like to see whats influencing people's mileage. Shift points and cruise rpms would help shed some light on that. Do you cruise at 30 mph in fourth at ~2200 rpm or fifth at ~1900 rpm?

And in the winter, I'm getting 217 miles per tank - thats 17.36 MPG.....ouch!

It could be fuel differences as well. If you are using fuel with high ethanol content you can expect a drop in MPG.

Additive packages are also different in the winter and summer, which can effect mileage.

Anyway, for me if I want to get 25+ in my mixed city+hills driving I have to really pussy-foot it. If I am on flat land I shift at 2k rpm. If I am in a hilly situation or high load, I'll shift at 2500 or 3k depending on the situation. I do live in a hilly area and I have to accelerate to 65mph up a hill just to get out of my housing area. Depending on traffic I usually have to shift at 3k just to keep from getting run over, with a moderate throttle input.

Also it helps to stay off the throttle when it's not necessary. There is no need to stay in the throttle when you know there is a red light coming up, or a stop sign. I also use hills to my advantage - since I use so much gas going up the hills, I typically coast down the other side. Basically you need to analyze every moment you are on the gas and make adjustments. This is also where it helps to monitor an instant MPG meter, to get a ballpark of how much gas you are using for that moment.

You need to avoid bumps in the road, they eat up forward momentum. Don't slow down as much for turns. If you know there will be nothing to slow you down for a long stretch of road, accelerate briskly up to the speed you want to travel at. This takes less fuel than poking up to speed slowly (unless you will be stopped by a light in a block or so)

I get better gas mileage on my stock wheels/tires than I do my track set. My track set has more sidewall and tread width and of course a fairly soft compound all of which eats up forward energy. The stock wheels/tires have less sidewall therefore less flex, and of course a smaller footprint to cause friction. It is very important to keep your pressures up. I run at about 36psi or so, for the steering response it gives but as a side benefit it is better for mpg.

Even when I'm not a good boy for an entire tank, I can still get 24-ish employing those methods for at least half the tank.

There is a lot to it, if you get crazy about it read up on hypermilers. A lot of hypermilers techniques are dangerous and stupid on public roads with traffic. Like coasting for long distances or up hills can get you killed by a car or shot by an angry driver! But they can get amazing mpg results - especially when they start performing aero mods to their car. They can take a normal 30mpg max car and get 40-50 out of it.

There is no need to stay in the throttle when you know there is a red light coming up, or a stop sign.

I always laugh when people get impatient behind me when I'm coasting towards a red light in the distance, burn past me, slam on the brakes to stop for the red light, then I roll past when it turns green because I didn't even have to stop.

Back