MS3 Front End Clunk

VermZ06

:
Silver Bullet '07 MS3
I've been searching for an answer for this but have not found anything concrete. I've been having a similar problem like many with clunking from the front end over uneven road...I can also feel this under my feet from vibration when I'm driving.

I've heard it could be bushings, endlinks and or swaybar. If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated!

I know I can always ask the dealer, but let's be honest. They will probably tell me there's nothing wrong with the car or they'll say they fixed it but the clunk will still remain...i can't stand that.

Also, I read somewhere that someone described the noise as golf balls rolling around, well that's exactly what it sounds like.

Thanks in advance.

I had that problem. I brought it in and told them I believe it sway bar bushings. They said after looking at it that it was the endlinks. Soo they replaced those, clunk still there.

They then replaced the struts, sway bar bushings, and control arms... the clunk went away and hasn't returned. I am pretty confident it was just the bushings that were bad but they told me they didn't want to keep having to have me come back in trying to diagnose it so they just replaced it all.

I had that problem. I brought it in and told them I believe it sway bar bushings. They said after looking at it that it was the endlinks. Soo they replaced those, clunk still there.

They then replaced the struts, sway bar bushings, and control arms... the clunk went away and hasn't returned. I am pretty confident it was just the bushings that were bad but they told me they didn't want to keep having to have me come back in trying to diagnose it so they just replaced it all.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try the bushings then. Any idea of the complexity of the install? If it's easy enough I'll just order the parts get under the car and do it myself.

Yes generally it's the lower control arm bushing, that's always been the problem for most cars when you go over bumps or what not and gets a thump, clunk, pop kinda sound.

Waking up this thread

So lower control arm bushings or FSB bushings?

yes, i have same problem. i was thinking its my struts, but not completely sure. if its sway bar bushings, i might just look into new cobb tuning front and rear sway bar kit

Mine is from my endlinks for sure- because the Hotchkis bar DOES NOT like the factory endlinks. I need to get an a/m set of links anyhow, there's way too much bar under it right now, the hotchkis piece is a BEAST.

Just to give everyone a quick update. Front end sub-frame bushings were replaced on the MS3. Clunking has been resolved by this fix thank god. It was driving me nuts. I know some others have been having this problem as well. Here is the link to the video before car was fixed just as a reference to this issue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqSXK24k6w

Thank to you all for your help!

You're right, it was the font sway bar bushings. But subframe had to come down in order to do the fix.

Ok cool thats what I figured. I am getting the same exact noise and mine tends to get less noticable as the car heats up. Did you notice the same thing?

I have a set of new bushings ready to go in. I am just waiting for the temps to raise a little bit so I don't freeze to death while messing with the sub-frame.

Ok cool thats what I figured. I am getting the same exact noise and mine tends to get less noticable as the car heats up. Did you notice the same thing?

I have a set of new bushings ready to go in. I am just waiting for the temps to raise a little bit so I don't freeze to death while messing with the sub-frame.

Car was noticeably louder when the temps lowered. Here in Connecticut it's been in the high 20's low 30's most days and car was clunking consistently even over small imperfections in the road. On hot summer days it wasn't nearly as bad. It's unbelievable how much smoother and quieter the car is just with some new bushings.

I do still have that cowl creek when it's cold as well. I'm going to do some digging to find the fix for that one. Although that is not nearly as annoying as the clunking sway bar.

Did you get after market bushings (Energy) or just OEM?s If you are using Energy, can you share the part #s? Thanks.

Greg

Sorry, I don't have a part number. They were replaced with OEM. Maybe I should've gone aftermarket. Oh well. We'll see how long these last for. If you need the part number for the OEM I could probably dig those up for you.

I have the same problem, lol so wait....what exactly do I need to do to fix this?

Have the front sway bar bushings replaced. I had the dealer do it and the car is now noise and rattle free from underneath. Was about $230 which is a bit pricey, but I don't have the tools or the patience in sub freezing weather to do it myself. Its a lengthy install. Well worth the money imo. Read some of the earlier posts here for more info. Good luck!

Have the front sway bar bushings replaced. I had the dealer do it and the car is now noise and rattle free from underneath. Was about $230 which is a bit pricey, but I don't have the tools or the patience in sub freezing weather to do it myself. Its a lengthy install. Well worth the money imo. Read some of the earlier posts here for more info. Good luck!

Yeah thats what im most likely going to do. I feel like that noise is coming from the front and back....best thing to do is get under the car

Yeah thats what im most likely going to do. I feel like that noise is coming from the front and back....best thing to do is get under the car

There's some play with the sway bar with shot bushings (what dealer told me). You'll be able to tell if you can get a crowbar or something up there and see if it's a little loose.

Back