Morimoto HID kit from TRS, review

What I can bring to this thread, on the subject of Morimoto HIDs in the CX-5 projectors, is actual experience. And don't ever go bringing experience down. All of the pressious knowledge you think you have previously came from someones experience.

What I know from experience is that my family's life is possibly owed to these. A deer jumped in front of me on the highway right at the fringe of my lights and I barely avoided it. With the old set I almost certainly would not have. And yes, I'm an experienced and good driver and know a lot about emergency maneuvers. Ans yes I know all about night vision : the foreground is not too bright or these would be out in a second.

What I know from experience is that on my daily drive on a dark country road I crossed paths with tens of thousands of oncoming cars at night and have not once been flashed.

Don't waste your breath on keyboard mechanics and physicists Vroom. You keep posting on your real life experiences and experimentations, that's how we truly evolve, not by listening to people and (tainted) organizations who tell us what we can and can't do.
Didn't realize the HID police was in town.

I know of many LEOs and politicians with aftermarket HID lights. Some in halogens projectors even (which I DO NOT recommend doing).
Mike M. should go do a citizen 's arrest on them instead of preaching the choir to those that ACTUALLY do work on their vehicles.

^^The real troll here, along with a hundred other threads he has no business being in.

Definition a troll:
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

Last edited:
Tell that to Albert Einstein!

If he were alive, and I would tell him, he would have to agree with me. Special relativity is simply a necessary mathematical consequence of experiments like the Michelson–Morley experiment and others similar that occurred well before he set out on his endeavor. Even he himself had great doubts about his general relativity equations and their consequences for years, and wanted experiments to show he was right. The theory was only accepted once these experiments could occur (planetary eclipses, pictures of gravitational lensing and even more recently the measurement of gravitational waves witch were still in doubt). That is how science works, and Einstein would have know and accepted that. That is until his later years when he became arrogant just like you. In these years he published a bunch of papers trying to debunk quantum mechanics, thinking his word was enough to become truth. Well, it's a good thing science doesn't work that way, because these later theories and opinions have all since been proven wrong by clever experimentation.

Before you bring up an argument, at least try to know what you are talking about. This is how you end up making a fool of yourself and loosing credibility.

I used your measurements. You said your digital camera measured three times the light output (and I would say the photos you posted are consistent with that). Assuming the arc of the HID was a perfect match for the quartz halogen filament, this implies there is three times as much stray light. Simple physics. It could be more than that because of differences in the shape/position of the source (arc vs. filament). But it would not be less.

Simple physics (not really physics at all actually, I'm sure you have no clue what the Mazda optics tolerances are), but flawed reasoning on your part. Who is to say that the OEM halogens stray light is not say 5 times below DOT acceptable levels, so that even a three-fold increase would keep the system well within tolerance. You? How? If you want to be able to use that as a basis to insult people you need to

A) Get a professional grade light meter.
B) Get and install the Morimoto Kit according to the instructions.
C) Take stray light output measurements at the locations, distances and in conditions mandated by DOT compliance.
D) Compare your results with the US and Canadian regulations (because you've insulted Canadians here with absolutely no prior knowledge of our regulations).
E) Write up a detailed methodology of you experiment so that others can reproduce it (instruments used, setup, etc.).

Once you have done that, you can insult us all you want. You will have gained my respect. Heck, I may even take out my kit. But you won't do that. Basing insult on substance requires hard work and research. It's a whole lot easier to throw insults based on unfounded opinion.

As I recall, you yourself sermonized Unobtanium for weeks for talking about winter driving with no hands-on experience, and you were right in doing so. Yet, here you are doing the exact same thing. Is it that you are so full of yourself that you think your baseless opinion is actually more worthy than any one else's?

Last edited:
A) Get a professional grade light meter.
B) Get and install the Morimoto Kit according to the instructions.
C) Take stray light output measurements at the locations, distances and in conditions mandated by DOT compliance.
D) Compare your results with the US and Canadian regulations (because you've insulted Canadians here with absolutely no prior knowledge of our regulations).
E) Write up a detailed methodology of you experiment so that others can reproduce it (instruments used, setup, etc.).

Seriously? Why should I shoulder the time and expense of showing your retrofitted HID kit complies with modern standards? I'm running headlights in all my vehicles that have already been tested and certified by professionals in standards organizations that exist for the purpose of keeping our public roads safe. Seriously, I don't have headlights that require their replacement with OEM equipment anytime I'll have a load in the trunk! Nobody does that with certified headlights. That should be all the proof you need that they are non-compliant. Instead we hear statements like "I stood on my knees and looked and there was no glare" That's not real scientific nor does it convince a rational person that they are safe and effective.

Once you have done that, you can insult us all you want. You will have gained my respect. Heck, I may even take out my kit. But you won't do that. Basing insult on substance requires hard work and research. It's a whole lot easier to throw insults based on unfounded opinion.

I'm not the one who is taking shortcuts here. I'm saying road safety requires that everyone play by the same standards. It doesn't work well when everyone starts trying to "one up" everyone else with brightness, especially when these solutions have never been tested for compliance. There is huge money to be made selling HID retrofits for $150 and even more profit waiting to be made selling ones that have been approved compliant. They would sell like hotcakes and legitimate shops would be willing to install approved retrofits. But none of these HID conversions have ever proved compliant. If they would pass the tests the manufacturers would make a killing. I'll give you one guess why they don't submit them...

But to run around and claim that the onus is on me to prove that YOUR non-certified retrofit is NOT compliant is ludicrous. I'm not the one breaking the law and potentially endangering your life.

As to insults, what I've said is it's dangerous and inconsiderate to run non-compliant headlights on public roads (and you even admitted it was not legal). If that's too much of an insult for you then you're going to have a real tough time getting through life.

As I recall, you yourself sermonized Unobtanium for weeks for talking about winter driving with no hands-on experience, and you were right in doing so. Yet, here you are doing the exact same thing. Is it that you are so full of yourself that you think your baseless opinion is actually more worthy than any one else's?

You believe I'm so full of myself that I think my baseless opinion is actually more worthy than any one else's?"????
Oh, so by doing the physical work of installing these retrofits you become somehow more qualified to say they are safe to use on public roads? (rlaugh)

I believe that by running unproven retrofits on public roads it is you, not me, that is claiming your opinion is more worthy than anyone else's. Chew on that for a minute before you get all huffy and self-righteous with me.

I believe that by running unproven retrofits on public roads it is you, not me, that is claiming your opinion is more worthy than anyone else's. Chew on that for a minute before you get all huffy and self-righteous with me.

That is where you are getting me and everyone wrong. I never, nowhere, claimed my HID kit were legal or even safe for that matter. All I said is that nothing in my actual hands-on experience had pointed to the opposite. And you certainly have not. You are the only one here making baseless claims with nothing to back them and stating them as truths.

Now until actual new information is presented to me, I'm just gonna sit back, and let everyone judge for themselves. I've made my case, thank you.

That is where you are getting me and everyone wrong. I never, nowhere, claimed my HID kit were legal or even safe for that matter.

To your credit, you admit they are not legal. But despite your claims to the contrary, you have claimed they were safe, both by word and by deed. And that is what I take exception to. By using your HID retrofits on public roads, with other road users in the oncoming lane, you are making the most brazen claim that they are safe. Either that or you have a complete and utter disregard for the life and safety of other road users.

To your credit, you admit they are not legal. But despite your claims to the contrary, you have claimed they were safe, both by word and by deed. And that is what I take exception to. By using your HID retrofits on public roads, with other road users in the oncoming lane, you are making the most brazen claim that they are safe. Either that or you have a complete and utter disregard for the life and safety of other road users.

Well, it seems that not a single of tens of thousands of people for which I have such a blatant disregard for has ever found me even annoying enough to flash their light at me. Not in snow, not in rain, not in any condition. If even a few would, I would not use these lights. I take that as a strong enough indication that I am likely no more annoying than any other OEM equipped car out there. That is the sort of information real life experience tells you.

But I had said that already, did't I? Or are you so focused on the notion of winning an argument that you are completely disregarding anything that was said by others except you?

Well, it seems that not a single of tens of thousands of people for which I have such a blatant disregard for has ever found me even annoying enough to flash their light at me. Not in snow, not in rain, not in any condition. If even a few would, I would not use these lights. I take that as a strong enough indication that I am likely no more annoying than any other OEM equipped car out there.

The high beam flash is used as a courtesy to let others know their high beams are on (or perhaps aimed too high). No one I know would flash just because their lights cause excessive glare. Sometimes excessive glare is caused by a heavy build-up of road grime which is why Euro lighting standards call for wipers and misters on HID headlights. I would not take a lack of flashing to mean your lights do not cause excessive glare. If it were that simple we wouldn't need standards, we would just certify any light that could go 1000 night time miles without getting flashed. (whistle)

But I had said that already, did't I? Or are you so focused on the notion of winning an argument that you are completely disregarding anything that was said by others except you?

Yes, you already concluded your lights must be ok because of your claim that no one has flashed you yet. Women must not be offended by the way they get treated by Donald Trump because he's met a lot of them and they haven't slapped him yet! I didn't disregard it because I'm focused on "winning", I disregarded it because it's of low value in determining the amount of direct and indirect glare produced by your HID retrofits. The fact is, a HID retrofit has never passed DOT certification in North America or in Europe.

There is a lot of potential profit for the first maker of these HID retrofits that can get certification because then they could sell them for a lot more than $150 if they could actually pass. Legitimate shops around the world would be willing to install them and the market would no longer be limited to DIY enthusiasts who didn't much care if they were safe and effective. Of course customers would not be happy if sometimes only one headlight would ignite. Or, if they had to put the OEM bulbs back in whenever they had a loaded trunk. These are not minor details.

Last edited:
I have installed myself, after a lot of modifications a cheap Amazon kit in place of the fogs. I have made it to be able to be adjustable up and down. They use H3 HID bulbs.
I have all my lights on, all the time. Car will turn then off automatically after 30 sec., I don't have to worry about them at all.

Yes, you already concluded your lights must be ok because of your claim that no one has flashed you yet. Women must not be offended by the way they get treated by Donald Trump because he's met a lot of them and they haven't slapped him yet! I didn't disregard it because I'm focused on "winning", I disregarded it because it's of low value in determining the amount of direct and indirect glare produced by your HID retrofits.

Ok, let me see. Someone who has yet to present a single actual piece of verifiable information, document or even link to back his statements or to show that he actually knows anything about what he advances, someone who has been shown in this very thread to use statements he is completely ignorant about, someone that has no experience on the subject, someone who thinks Donald Trump can actually make a good argument against anything, thinks that my arguments are of low value... (rofl2)

Fine, I think I can sleep tonight knowing that...

I think it's just arrogant to think it's fine to "one-up" everyone else on the road with the brightness of your non-conforming headlights. Proper functioning of the night time road environment depends upon everyone playing by the same rules. To say you're qualified to break the rules is arrogant and the entire system breaks down when standards are ignored by a few.

It wouldn't be a problem if you limited it to roads you had built and paid for.

I replaced the stock 9005 high beam with Philips 9011 Same pattern, more light I am happy with the results.

I replaced the stock 9005 high beam with Philips 9011 Same pattern, more light I am happy with the results.

Good suggestion. I might do the same thing. This should be a far less controversial modification since high beams are not meant to be used in the presence of oncoming traffic anyway...

Good suggestion. I might do the same thing. This should be a far less controversial modification since high beams are not meant to be used in the presence of oncoming traffic anyway...

The US required Sealed beam headlamps until 1984. They were originally required because they were far superior to separate yellowed and darkened bulbs in rusted reflectors, but the law lasted about 30 years to long. European cars had to remove great headlight designs including lighting that turned when the car turned and install the sealed beam lamps. I installed non conforming headlights in a number of cars for years in order to get a tighter pattern, less glare and more light.

I have installed the relay kit, to my cheap kit and I don't have any issues with the passenger side. I have used the driver side signal.

From what I have read on other threads, that while the Phillips 9011 bulb is brighter than other similar halogens, it is not whiter, and has the same off white( "yellowish") tint of most halogens. Now, while I would like to have a brighter bulb replacement for the oem Sylvania's in my (GT non-Tech) DRL/highbeams I definitely am looking for a whiter beam colour replacement. The Phillips 9011 has a 3000K colour output, but I would like something around 4000K or higher. Unfortunately halogens just can't get close to this color range, as I understand, like LED's can produce, without running so hot that it jeopardizes their lifespan.

The main reason that I need a whiter light is that I have installed LED light surrounds at my Fog lights (which I have set up to act as my DRL's) and have a colour output of around 5000K, so they make my current oem DRL/higbeam Sylavania's look even more "yellowish" in comparison. I'd go with LED's in my DRL/highbeam location but beam pattern is a huge problem for all LED's in this application( so I have read) because of the reflector design.

I seem to be looking for a bulb with features (brightness, whiteness, beam pattern and longevity) that just aren't all available in either halogen or LED as of yet.

Is it easy to reach the headlight bulbs? Thinking about installing an HID kit in it eventually, but looking at the manual, it says go through the front fenders?

Hmm.. Tried to reach for the headlight bulbs and it was okay, not too bad. Right now I'm trying to figure out where to mount the ballast. Bought a Fast Bright F3 ballast + CNLight H11 bulbs, no relay.
The ballast isn't double sided sticky mount type... It's the bracket/screw ones, so not sure where to mount it.
ballast/kit: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
CNLight H11: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

20140812_161722.jpg20140812_161646.jpg

Back