Misfire problem diagnosed!

TheMAN said:
clean? :wtf: why don't you replace BOTH the filters? you're quite due for a fuel filter change.... it's supposed to be done at 100k

cleaning the s*** and having it happening again, taking s*** apart to clean again, etc is just NOT worth the time... time = money
PART NUMBER SEARCH RESULTS WITH PRICES

Vehicle 2002 Mazda Protege 5
Part: Fuel Screen

Note:
This vehicle does not have an in-line fuel filter between the fuel tank and the engine. Use this filter set when replacing the fuel strainer located inside the fuel tank, which is the only fuel filter on this vehicle.

BOTH? Where might the 2nd one be?

TheMAN said:
clean? :wtf: why don't you replace BOTH the filters? you're quite due for a fuel filter change.... it's supposed to be done at 100k

cleaning the s*** and having it happening again, taking s*** apart to clean again, etc is just NOT worth the time... time = money
Agreed. I have the entire fuel pump replacement kit sitting on the floor. I hope to do it this weekend. But I had to get the car running and reliable until then. I just did a fuel pump on a Mercedes -- one part no wires. Take a look at the P5 fuel pump kit:
E3000130659ND.JPG

The silver washer looking piece next to the blue wire connectors is what holds the tank strainer on. I think the 2nd filter is in the fuel pump. After I pull it this weekend, I could open it up and check.

Last edited:
i12drivemyMP5 said:
How much did the kit cost?
$160 from these guys. http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/mercedesshop/sophio/wizard.jsp?partner=mercedesshop&clientid=catalog.mercedesshop&baseurl=http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/&cookieid=1UT110ACA1WI0IF8ZP&year=2002&make=MA&model=PRO-5-002&category=E&part=Fuel+Pump
I've bought from them before. Very fast and pricing is good.

Any CarQuest store should be able to get it for you same or next day. They recently bought WorldPac who supplies these parts -- even to dealers.

Last edited:
i12drivemyMP5 said:
PART NUMBER SEARCH RESULTS WITH PRICES

Vehicle 2002 Mazda Protege 5
Part: Fuel Screen

Note:
This vehicle does not have an in-line fuel filter between the fuel tank and the engine. Use this filter set when replacing the fuel strainer located inside the fuel tank, which is the only fuel filter on this vehicle.

BOTH? Where might the 2nd one be?

after being up for so many years, you'd think people would read the faq... :rolleyes:

grindMARC said:
Agreed. I have the entire fuel pump replacement kit sitting on the floor. I hope to do it this weekend. But I had to get the car running and reliable until then. I just did a fuel pump on a Mercedes -- one part no wires. Take a look at the P5 fuel pump kit:
E3000130659ND.JPG

The silver washer looking piece next to the blue wire connectors is what holds the tank strainer on. I think the 2nd filter is in the fuel pump. After I pull it this weekend, I could open it up and check.

if the fuel pump ain't dead, you don't need to replace it!

grindMARC said:
It looked like about a half-teaspoon of sand was spread around the bottom of the tank.

Anybody have an opinion about what the OP should do (if anything) about
this crud in the bottom of his tank?

TheMAN said:
if the fuel pump ain't dead, you don't need to replace it!
Tell that to my wife that drives 180 miles round trip to work on some of the most notoriously bad highways on the East Coast. If you didn't know, when a fuel pump goes the car stops.

Its called preventative maintenance. I'm sure the FAQ has something about it.
I'm hoping the rest of your 2,000+ posts include something useful.

after being up for so many years, you'd think people would read the faq... :rolleyes:
Went to FAQ, searched on fuel filter & guess what? Nothing came back. FUK FAQ. Translation - doesn't know.

Last edited:
Went to FAQ, searched on fuel filter & guess what? Nothing came back. FUK FAQ. Translation - doesn't know.

fuel filter is located under the rear passenger seat. it is pain in the axx to replace it. I recommend take it to dealer to replace it. For me it costs me about $89 for labor.

fuel filter is located under the rear passenger seat. it is pain in the axx to replace it. I recommend take it to dealer to replace it. For me it costs me about $89 for labor.
Yeah, there's an access panel to get to the fuel tank to pull the pump assembly out & there's a sock on the intake for the pump like in the pics above in the thread. See it says fuel pump filter kit. WHERE IS THE MYSTERIOUS SECOND ONE THAT KEEPS BEING REFERENCED?

Yeah, there's an access panel to get to the fuel tank to pull the pump assembly out & there's a sock on the intake for the pump like in the pics above in the thread. See it says fuel pump filter kit. WHERE IS THE MYSTERIOUS SECOND ONE THAT KEEPS BEING REFERENCED?

Its right next to the fuel pump on the fuel pump housing. Aside from the black grommet on the end
of the white fitting with two clips, there are no serviceable parts in the "high pressure fuel filter." A new grommet comes with the Denso fuel pump kit.

Edit, its on the left side of the fuel pump housing in this pic
attachment.php

Last edited:
Translation - 1 filter sock & replace the whole pump housing for the "other" one? There, someone finally just said it minus the ass. That's why it's not in the manual. Excellent post. Thanks.

Last edited:
Edit, its on the left side of the fuel pump housing in this pic
attachment.php
So did you replace the grommet? Could you see the unserviceable filter in the pump body after grommet was off just to make sure no trash in it? Not sure I've ever seen any explanation of this, just vague references to a 2nd filter in some other threads way back with people's questions about it being ignored is the point of the clarification.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to clean the crap out of the gas tank?

I'm pretty sure I have some, after every fill-up I get some crazy hesitation and nearly stalling idle for a good 5-10 minutes until the stuff settles.

I'll gladly replace the filter sock, but I'd like to only have to do it once :)

I went to go change my fuel sock the other day and my tank screws are really rusted like they are about to discenegrate when i touch them

any ideas or suggestions?

In that case, I'd let the dealership do it this time.

Let them deal with breaking them, drilling, extracting, chasing threads....

Money well spent in my opinion.

thats what I was thinking.

Ill have to talk with my buddy down there are see what the labor charge is to change it.

Latest posts

Back