Media hub is dead? Swapping it out with non-CarPlay easy? 2018 CX-5

2018 CX-5.

Trying to install a new Carplay hub but before that I need to update from FW 59.xx to 70.xx with current hub however it seems like my current media hub is dead . Here's how I know:

- Center console USBs do not play media from phone or read USB for FW update (FAT32 formatted), HOWEVER it does charge my iPhone with specific cable.

- DTC Error: B125287 (USB Port 1-Missing Message)

- Took apart dash and USB cable that runs from media hub to CMU wasn't loose or any visible damage.

- Did continuity test using a multimeter on the pins of that ^ USB cable, it passed, all pins working, cable works.

- Only thing left is the USB media hub and the CMU/driver issue, I would think the media hub is the issue given CMU works fine for everything else.

Did I miss any other diagnosis?

If it is the media hub, can I just buy one off eBay and swap it out then update CMU to 70.xx without an issue (non-apple carplay ones with only 1 plug in the back)? Or is it more complicated than that (say it has to be exact model and on exact FW as my current hub?)

Does media hub equal AUXILIARY JACK/USB PORT/SD CARD SLOT HUB?

I have no idea, but repair manual doesn't mention anything special regarding hub replacement.
However it specifically mentions programming for CMU.

That doesn't actually mean that HUB doesn't need programming and I take no responsibility, but it could be an indirect hint that it doesn't.

HUB:

1701138561432.png

CMU:

1701138918041.png

Does media hub equal AUXILIARY JACK/USB PORT/SD CARD SLOT HUB?

I have no idea, but repair manual doesn't mention anything special regarding hub replacement.
However it specifically mentions programming for CMU.

That doesn't actually mean that HUB doesn't need programming and I take no responsibility, but it could be an indirect hint that it doesn't.

HUB:

View attachment 324143

CMU:

View attachment 324144

Thank you for your response, yes media hub = AUXILIARY JACK/USB PORT. It looks like nothing special needs to be done since it'll be the same CMU. Can you link me where you found this instruction manual?

Its plug and play. But you have to be sure its the usb hub thats the problem.
Did you try another usb drive that is small enough? i.e 16gb I recall the hub is old and may not support latest large usb drives.

see also this url if it helps
Yes, I’ve followed that SOP step by step (including continuity test for the cable connecting the USB hub to the CMU). Next step is to swap this hub out, if that still doesn’t work then it’s gotta be the CMU in which case I’ll give up lol

UPDATE for anyone who stumbles around with similar issue.

Solution: aux/USB hub was in fact the issue, for some reason it charged the phone but didn’t read data. Bought a similar spec aux/usb hub from eBay for $35, swapped it, updated the firmware from 59.xx to 74.xx, then swapped that hub out for the Wireless CarPlay hub and USB cables ($100). Works great.

I've been thinking about wireless CarPlay for a long time but my problem is that it would require wireless charging as well, however all of them seem junk (heat up or don't charge)
Do you have wireless charging with wireless carplay?

I've been thinking about wireless CarPlay for a long time but my problem is that it would require wireless charging as well, however all of them seem junk (heat up or don't charge)
Do you have wireless charging with wireless carplay?
I don't have wireless charging yet, I just plug it into the USB if I need to charge it. I do plan to get a wireless charger eventually though.

I don't have wireless charging yet, I just plug it into the USB if I need to charge it. I do plan to get a wireless charger eventually though.
So that's exactly my problem. I don't understand the point of having wireless airplay if you still need to plug in. I hope you find a good wireless charger and share the experience

Back