mazdaspeed CAI VS. Cobb SRI

9" length! Are you sure about that? There are three measurements: the base outside diameter, the top outside diameter, and the height (length). I didn't see any filters close to that length on the K&N site when matching up to a Mazda CAI. I want to get a filter that is close (or exact) in size because a smaller filter means less airflow. A 5" versus a 9" with the other two dimensions the same is a massive difference.

Well the exact AEM filter that comes with the AEM CAI which the Mazdaspeed version is based on is 9" in length.

2.75" pipe diameter is what you have to look for.

31MX5MK8HDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Other than that, I will measure my filter after work since I have the MSCAI as a short ram.

Sorry this is bit off topic, but a search turned up nothing. Does anyone know the dimensions on the MS CAI AEM filter so I can replace it with a K&N? I can't seem to find the numbers anywhere on the net. (Only the filter for about 70 bucks...)

I highly recommend S&B filters over K&N. Much less expensive and superior filtering in a similar, oiled cotton type configuration.

Check out sbfilters dot com and click on their link for universal filters.

They have options for color as well as end cap style too.

Just a thought.

Ok Wurf... I will look into them. As soon as I can verify a size, I will swap out my old one. (I have 36,000 miles on her...so I figure it is about time.)

Ok Wurf... I will look into them. As soon as I can verify a size, I will swap out my old one. (I have 36,000 miles on her...so I figure it is about time.)

Hey sorry for not getting back to you yesterday.

Mazdaspeed filter:
Pipe size: 2.75"
Design: Tapered
Diameter 6" MAX DIAMETER to 5" MIN DIAMETER (At the end).
Length: 5.25" (some say height).

Edit: This is measuring the actual filter element. Some companies measure other ways.

Last edited:
There's a universal cone from SB in that size with the special inverted power cap for only $30.00. You can order right off the site I believe.

SB has some tech showing ISO standardized flow and filtration testing VS K&N on their site too. Good stuff.

Hey sorry for not getting back to you yesterday.

Mazdaspeed filter:
Pipe size: 2.75"
Design: Tapered
Diameter 6" MAX DIAMETER to 5" MIN DIAMETER (At the end).
Length: 5.25" (some say height).

Edit: This is measuring the actual filter element. Some companies measure other ways.

Thanks very much!!

Edit: I looked on the K&N site and the closest filter they had was this one:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-4960

The only difference is the height is 5.5", all other dimensions are the same. I am guessing this is probably the same filter.

Last edited:
Just for a heads up. I was recently searching for my replacement filter. For the MsCai/aem. I ordered a 2.75 inlet which is correct. When i installed the Dryflow it was very long. The 5.5 is probably the right one. Mine was all of nine inchs if not longer. But i stuffed it in there. It actually fits. barely. The car is running as well as before. And no tuning adjustments were needed. When i took off the original one i thought aww heck this ain't gonna work, but it seems ok.
So the early version was a shorty it seems and then they went to a longer/taller unit.
also i was waaay overdue by the looks of mine. 530000. Built and cold air installed early 07. i am a little ashamed actually about it's condition

530,000? 53K and this is the first filter cleaning or replacement? WOW! You should notice a considerable difference in performance!

The longer filter is there not just for flow. You want to get it as close as possible to cooler ambient air coming through the slots in the left fender well liner. That will reduce temps on the intake charge and should, at least theoretically, produce more power.

Quite frankly, I love K&N filters and have used them in a lot of applications over the years with great results. But if I could not get a shorter filter to line up properly with the slots in the fender well, I'd want to get a longer one that does.

Start backing away from the cold air source, you might as well run SRI.

No stuffing. 9 inch length fits. The extra length has nothing to do with installation, IMHO.

To remove and check/or clean I access the clamp through the peeled back left fender liner. Length of filter has nothing to do with that, but does have to do with how close the filter element gets to outside cooler air.

I've not given any thought to whether the metal water splash shield would fit properly on a different size or length filter. I would not want to run without the shield, though.

oops glad you folks are paying attention to the zeroes. I really should seek a career in government!
And i do clean the sensor regularly i think.
I might have mentioned before or not i have almost always used k/n filters and really wanted to switch to one. The prices are similar.
I could make use of my Recharger kit! Next replacement will probably be a K/N.
Camry, it did fit and it lines up just fine for the slots. it is just longer and takes a little work to get it on. I could have opened the hood and broke the pipe free if needed but it was no big deal when all said and done. it still has all the functional advantages for the best air possible. I was just thrown by the size difference.
you will be fine either way. The most important part of the whole equation is the Air straightener. My car became very much happier after the install of that critical piece.
I read alot of car stuff.
that can be good and bad. But not only did the turbulence over the maf sensor cause computer issues on our cars, with other vehicles it is possible to lean a cylinder out causing knock. Like the Buick GNX turbo. It is hard to chase this problem sometimes. You can read knock but not necessarily in which cylinder. I used to get random misfire codes and took my car in to Mazda. They wanted the car for diagnostics. I bought the air straightener as soon as it came about. I noticed the differnce right away.
When we tuned it i was registering no knocking at all. Maybe lucky but i must recommend to anyone who has the MSCAI be sure to have the straightener and follow the instructions for the angles! 530000 miles and still have not thrown a rod!!!lol

Last edited:
Back