Mazda Protege Keyless Entry Remotes & progamming instructions

I got my remote from ThePartsYouNeed.com in the mail today. 5 days isn't bad especially when one was a Sunday.

Programming was easy, took about 10 seconds. I can't believe a dealership would charge 1/2 hour of labor for a 10 second job. Thats a good way to lose customers.

Anyhow, the remote works great and when I went to put in an order for remote for the Millenia I noticed I got free shipping, so I bought a 2nd remote for the Protege and a pair for the Millenia. FINALLY, I will have remotes that work and that I can use.

ThePartsYouNeed.com rocks!

93Miata said:
I got my remote from ThePartsYouNeed.com in the mail today. 5 days isn't bad especially when one was a Sunday.

Programming was easy, took about 10 seconds. I can't believe a dealership would charge 1/2 hour of labor for a 10 second job. Thats a good way to lose customers.

Anyhow, the remote works great and when I went to put in an order for remote for the Millenia I noticed I got free shipping, so I bought a 2nd remote for the Protege and a pair for the Millenia. FINALLY, I will have remotes that work and that I can use.

glad everything worked out well :) (thumb)
were my instructions helpful?

solid_snake said:
glad everything worked out well :) (thumb)
were my instructions helpful?

Yeah, the instructions were basically the same. I got them without the diagrams and whatnot, but it was this:

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock
switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do
this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off)
position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after
this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking
and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a
final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks.

With patience, you should have to pay more then $10-$15/per, depending on age, popularity, etc. I paid just under $10, when I ordered 3.

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

93Miata said:
I found another keyless entry remote site online that I'm willing to give a shot - www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

The stupid KR site wants $49 a piece for the Protege remote, and they're less than 1/2 that price on ThePartsYouNeed site with the instructions included. I ordered 1 this morning.

https://www.thepartsyouneed.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=1434

I'll keep you guys posted. If it works good, I'm going to order one for my Millenia as well.

Hey, dealerships are a business, and their business model requires a 1/2-hour billing minimum, even if it takes 1 minute. They'll charge you 1/2-hour, or comp it. If you do a lot of business there, they'll comp it. If not, they'll charge you at least minimum. I don't like it, so I just don't use it. If I can't find this info on the 'net, I'm not the geek I proclaim to be. :)

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

93Miata said:

sbagdon said:
I'll try this again during lunch, now that I know what the "driver-side door switch" is! :)

The one thing I don't like, after reading these instructions, is my impression that the keyless entry system is limited to 3 fobs. I find this suprising, as my previous '96 Camry and current '03 PT Cruiser (wife's) could both take 4 fobs. And the '03 PT Cruiser can take 8 encoded keys.

I'll try 4, and can live with 3, but I'd still like 4...

Thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

You kids and your "FOBS" (glare)

I got a notification today that one of those ebay sellers was suspended (probably for the same issue with other people). I'm doubt there is any recourse to get my money back, but at least nobody else gets burned. I found something else odd out today too. On another forum, somebody mentioned that they had pretty badly limited range with their remote, but if they aimed the remote at their chin, they could get the car to lock and unlock from about 80 ft away.

I tried it when I was headed back to my car from the mall today, and it works...lol. Probably will get brain cancer now...but it about triples the range.

I wonder if the antenna is on the red-button side of the fob, vs. the lock button side of the fob...

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

93Miata said:
I got a notification today that one of those ebay sellers was suspended (probably for the same issue with other people). I'm doubt there is any recourse to get my money back, but at least nobody else gets burned. I found something else odd out today too. On another forum, somebody mentioned that they had pretty badly limited range with their remote, but if they aimed the remote at their chin, they could get the car to lock and unlock from about 80 ft away.

I tried it when I was headed back to my car from the mall today, and it works...lol. Probably will get brain cancer now...but it about triples the range.

Not sure...but it doesn't seem to make a difference in range if I just point the remote backwards. I guess the remotes aren't directional, they probably just send a wave of signal out in each direction.

The Millenia remotes came in last week. I just got around to programming them today. I got myself a bit confused programming the 2nd remote to the Protege, but I was skipping ahead and not programming both together instead of one at a time.

Now I have 4 new remotes, and with the few hundred $ I saved, I can buy more toys for the car.

hey im new. i just bought a mazdaspeed and it didnt have a key fob i need 2know what keyfob i need for the alarm system, is it 3 button or not?
sorry if this is off topic but i dont kno how 2 make a post

any help would be great

sweetmazda03 said:
hey im new. i just bought a mazdaspeed and it didnt have a key fob i need 2know what keyfob i need for the alarm system, is it 3 button or not?

any help would be great

Yes, the remote has three buttons a black, grey, and a red one.

Welcome the the forums. :)

here's the info from my fob:

Model: 41706
P/N: BL8D 67 5RY
FCC ID: KPU41704

That was all the info I needed, to get a few on eBay.

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

sweetmazda03 said:

any help would be great

When I got My MSP a bit over a week ago, it came with two keys, two fobs. One fob was much newer than the other, but both work just fine. How many is a MSP supposed to come with? Now if I run through the programming steps with the two fobs I have, those will be the only two fobs that work for my car? Just trying to make sure I don't have a third or fourth fob out there that could potentially open my car...Thanks.

Chiguy_2002 said:
When I got My MSP a bit over a week ago, it came with two keys, two fobs. One fob was much newer than the other, but both work just fine. How many is a MSP supposed to come with? Now if I run through the programming steps with the two fobs I have, those will be the only two fobs that work for my car? Just trying to make sure I don't have a third or fourth fob out there that could potentially open my car...Thanks.

yeah MSPs come with 2 fobs

yes, if you reprogram the keyless entry with the 2 fobs you have, any other fob won't work on your car

93Miata said:
Is that it...only 2 remotes max programmed together? I thought it was like 3 or 4?
i think you can program 4 remotes in the MSP, but it came with only 2 from factory/dealer

The MSP will take 3 fobs. The instructions say that, and I tried 4, and I only got 3.

When programming fobs, it's an all-or-nothing thing. If you want to "add" fob, you have to start from scratch, so you must also program in any "old" fobs. If you have 2, and want 3, you must program in all 3 at that time.

Steve B.

Back