Mazda Protege Keyless Entry Remotes & progamming instructions

93Miata

What does your local dealer charge for Mazda keyless entry remotes?

My Mazda dealer wants $99 a piece plus $35 for programming for each of my cars (MS Protege, 98 Millenia).

I'm curious to see what other dealerships are charging for new remotes and programming.

I'm done with ebay because the listings show new remotes, and 3 out of 3 times I've won - I end up with junk that doesn't work and won't program. First one was superglued together and cracked. Can't check the battery if you can't even open it. Second one was completely corroded inside from water and didn't work. The 3rd one only 1 button worked and it looked like someone tried to superglue the circuit board pieces back together. Each one was advertised as new, or like new and they obviously weren't anywhere close to that. The Keyles Ride site is run by one of those same lying ebay sellers, so thats off the list too.

What does your local dealership charge? I bet there's some that want even more than what mine is charging.

The local Mazda dealership quoted me $65/per, but I didn't ask for programming costs. $35/car for programming sounds about right (in whatever context "right" is, when dealing with a dealership), as that should be 1/2-hour labor charge, which is usually the minimum labor charge billing in their invoice system. Then again, it'll take them 5 minutes, so fair is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm surprised (and sorry) that you've had so much bad luck when dealing with sellers on eBay, in relations to fobs. I've not had a bad fob yet. I bought 4 fobs for my '96 Camry on eBay (bought the car used, that came with no fobs), and 2 fobs for my wife's '03 PT Cruiser (only came with 2, wanted 4 total), and all fobs I got from eBay worked great. I just closed a deal for 3 fobs for my '03.5 MSP, the car only came with 1 fob/key. I paid something like $39 for all three, shipping included, which sure beat $65/per + tax locally. I don't really care if it's "new", but working and reasonably clean sure would be nice. :)

BTW, if you happen to find out how to program the fobs, let us know. I'm going to have to find this out anyway, when the 3 fobs show up this week. Thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

93Miata said:
What does your local dealer charge for Mazda keyless entry remotes?

My Mazda dealer wants $99 a piece plus $35 for programming for each of my cars (MS Protege, 98 Millenia).

I'm curious to see what other dealerships are charging for new remotes and programming.

I'm done with ebay because the listings show new remotes, and 3 out of 3 times I've won - I end up with junk that doesn't work and won't program. First one was superglued together and cracked. Can't check the battery if you can't even open it. Second one was completely corroded inside from water and didn't work. The 3rd one only 1 button worked and it looked like someone tried to superglue the circuit board pieces back together. Each one was advertised as new, or like new and they obviously weren't anywhere close to that. The Keyles Ride site is run by one of those same lying ebay sellers, so thats off the list too.

What does your local dealership charge? I bet there's some that want even more than what mine is charging.

Thanks for the reply. I knew the price seemed a little high. I'll check around some more and see if I can find any better deals. It was pretty disappointing with ebay that the deal seemed so great but all 3 turned out to be bogus.

sbagdon said:
BTW, if you happen to find out how to program the fobs, let us know. I'm going to have to find this out anyway, when the 3 fobs show up this week. Thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP
here you go
keyless.JPG

hopefully this isn't ilegal (evil), if it is, let me know and i will revome it (braindead

If you are interested I have two factory keyfobs from my mazdaspeed protege that I used for a grand total of 2 weeks. (replaced with after market alarm)

Let me know.

I have to pass, right now, as I have 3 I just got off eBay that I'm going to try to program. But thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

jrodhotrod said:
If you are interested I have two factory keyfobs from my mazdaspeed protege that I used for a grand total of 2 weeks. (replaced with after market alarm)

Let me know.

I tried this tonight, but I got stuck on the "press driver's button". WHICH button?!?! Unlock? Lock? Either? Both? Power window switch?

Has anyone actually gotten this to work?

Thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

solid_snake said:
here you go
hopefully this isn't ilegal (evil), if it is, let me know and i will revome it (braindead

sbagdon said:
I tried this tonight, but I got stuck on the "press driver's button". WHICH button?!?! Unlock? Lock? Either? Both? Power window switch?

Has anyone actually gotten this to work?

Thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP
i believe it is the lock button, i don't really know how to do that in proteges, i found that in a service manual...

The drivers side door switch is that little button in the door seam. You know the little button in your refrigerator that turns out the light when the door closes - same thing.

93Miata said:
The drivers side door switch is that little button in the door seam. You know the little button in your refrigerator that turns out the light when the door closes - same thing.

You have a refrigerator in your protege?

I call that the door sensor pin switch.

They could have done a LITTLE better job on describing it in the instructions! :)

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

93Miata said:

I'll try this again during lunch, now that I know what the "driver-side door switch" is! :)

The one thing I don't like, after reading these instructions, is my impression that the keyless entry system is limited to 3 fobs. I find this suprising, as my previous '96 Camry and current '03 PT Cruiser (wife's) could both take 4 fobs. And the '03 PT Cruiser can take 8 encoded keys.

I'll try 4, and can live with 3, but I'd still like 4...

Thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

solid_snake said:
here you go

Now that I know which switch is the "driver-side door switch", the instructions worked like a charm. And I can confirm that the keyless entry system will only take 3 fobs... when you get to the fourth, nothing will happen, until you press one of the first 3 (to close out the programming loop).

Thanks much to all who helped with this task.

Thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

sbagdon said:
Now that I know which switch is the "driver-side door switch", the instructions worked like a charm. And I can confirm that the keyless entry system will only take 3 fobs... when you get to the fourth, nothing will happen, until you press one of the first 3 (to close out the programming loop).

Thanks much to all who helped with this task.

Thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP
good to hear we saved you $35;) :)

My tribute can take up to 4 remotes, so i also thought that the protege would take up 4 too

Last edited:
You didn't save me $35, as I never would have paid it. I have too many contacts in the auto-repair industry, I would have found it out sooner or later (and shared it here). You saved the other guy $35. :)

Hey, what can I say? I tried 4 remotes, each time I programmed the fobs. I had to go through 2 programming cycles, to test all 4 remotes, and tried programming 4 remotes each time. Once you program the third remote in, no remote will do anything except one of the 3 programmed.

I can learn to live with 3 remotes, but doesn't mean I have to like it. :)

Thanks for your help!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

solid_snake said:
good to hear we saved you $35;) :)

My tribute can take up to 4 remotes, so i also thought that the protege would take up 4 too

sbagdon said:
You didn't save me $35, as I never would have paid it. I have too many contacts in the auto-repair industry, I would have found it out sooner or later (and shared it here). You saved the other guy $35. :)

Hey, what can I say? I tried 4 remotes, each time I programmed the fobs. I had to go through 2 programming cycles, to test all 4 remotes, and tried programming 4 remotes each time. Once you program the third remote in, no remote will do anything except one of the 3 programmed.

I can learn to live with 3 remotes, but doesn't mean I have to like it. :)

Thanks for your help!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

no problem, i'm here to help, or at least i try to :)

Back