Mazda CX-5 Urgent Problem

Hey guys, I have a problem with the new mazda cx-5 awd 2019 I bought a few weeks ago!

When I turn on the car and start driving,
there is a strong sense of gas smell and it smells way too much that it's hard for me to drive the car.

Also, the rpm sometimes shoots up for no reason, even when I'm not putting my foot on the gas pedal.

Any solutions?

+1 on dealer. you have a $30K product with a warranty.

If the problem is urgent, the first stop should be the dealer, not a forum.

hey guys, i have a problem with the new mazda cx-5 awd 2019 i bought a few weeks ago!

When i turn on the car and start driving,
there is a strong sense of gas smell and it smells way too much that it's hard for me to drive the car.

Also, the rpm sometimes shoots up for no reason, even when i'm not putting my foot on the gas pedal.

Any solutions?

URGENTLY Take to the nearest Mazda dealer,

Or if undriveable,

URGENTLY Call Mazda Roadside Assistance 1-800-866-1998

Last edited:
Call mazdaNA (according to warranty book) if the dealer has not addressed your issue satisfactorily.. out of curiosity what have YOU done in the meantime to try and remedy this (higher grade gas, more reputable station, fuel system cleaner etc)?

Indeed, new cars come with strange smell, some good, others bad.
If indeed it is gasoline, you should be able to smell it with hood raised and engine idles.

My ex-BMW used to have a gasket problem. I did smell gas both under the hood and inside the cabin.

Take it to another dealer. Don't fool around. If it IS gas, you could be in real trouble.

Follow up with Mazda. If it's as bad as you say, and the first dealer denied it, then the company needs to know about them.

It's not your fault, but it's your responsibility to get it fixed, and Mazda's responsibility to fix it.

If they still say it is not a problem, tell them to walk around the vehicle with a lit match! Remove all your valuables first ;)

Wow he has gone two weeks with this problem.

Lol, two weeks driving it like this? Anyone in their right mind would have arranged for a different mode of transportation until the issue was fixed.

Maybe next time you smell it take a direct drive right to the dealership and show them...

Back