Looking for solution for damaged shark fin antenna

2019 CX 5 GT non turbo (Canadian Spec). While backing out of garage the antenna rammed the bottom of the overhead door. Now the roof has a dent (not too noticeable from afar). The shark fin antenna however is not sitting flush and is loose although still firmly attached (pic below). Basically the hit forced the antenna forward and down and pushed in the roof. The body shop estimates at least $2000-$2500 with roof repair plus antenna replacement. It's a all or nothing repair so they won't do just the antenna. I'm not too concerned about the roof having a dent as everything still works fine. I'm thinking to just leave the roof and deal with the antenna for now. Does anyone know if rain will get in below the fin and underneath the roof panel or if I go through a car wash? Also, any suggestions on temporarily fixing the loose fin (tape or caulking?) and maybe cover up the gap to prevent water leak and so I can use the car wash?

Thanks
1.jpg

Man, that sucks.

I understand that they may have their own motives, but did you ask the body shop what your exposure to leaks might be "just living with it"?

I don't know that I could bring myself to apply caulk to a brand new car. I've patched up my share of old beaters. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

2019 CX 5 GT non turbo (Canadian Spec). While backing out of garage the antenna rammed the bottom of the overhead door. Now the roof has a dent (not too noticeable from afar). The shark fin antenna however is not sitting flush and is loose although still firmly attached (pic below). Basically the hit forced the antenna forward and down and pushed in the roof. The body shop estimates at least $2000-$2500 with roof repair plus antenna replacement. It's a all or nothing repair so they won't do just the antenna. I'm not too concerned about the roof having a dent as everything still works fine. I'm thinking to just leave the roof and deal with the antenna for now. Does anyone know if rain will get in below the fin and underneath the roof panel or if I go through a car wash? Also, any suggestions on temporarily fixing the loose fin (tape or caulking?) and maybe cover up the gap to prevent water leak and so I can use the car wash?

Thanks
View attachment 223281

Yikes. I believe the fin is threaded/bolted into your roof. You might be able to remove it by rotating it counter clockwise, but if thread is damaged it could be hard thread it back in.

Last edited:
Try looking for one of the PDR guys that can try to work the dent out.

They may need to pull the head liner to get behind and can then determine if the fin can be bolted back down. Maybe purchase a replacement fin from an Auto Recycler before the PDR guy so he can maybe swap out while working the dent.

I hate how the fin seems to be taller than the roof rails. I've thought about some way to modify it so I never have this type of damage but it doesn't look like a fun project. If I ever have to or just get the urge to remove the headliner I will definitely look into it.
Of course I would need to find another antenna.

It looks like basically you need to unscrew the antenna and pound that sheet metal flat. Then reattach the antenna.

I would guess a body man might hold a heavy block under the damaged area. I don't know what they call them but they might be almost like a small anvil. Then hammer from the top to flatten the area.

I had something similar happen to me. I was backing into my garage when the door started coming down. Damaged the fin and dented the roof. Fortunately for me my car insurance covered the repair of replacing the fin and fixing the dent!!

Last edited:
First thing I would do is call my insurance adjuster and find out what my options are. Check with another recomended body shop. I am fairly sure you will get leaks if not fixed. If it were 5+ years old I'd caulk with a clear silicon caulk. For a new vehicle I'd fix it correctly. Ed

Back