2013~2016 Left sunroof open durning rain. Tips to ensure CX5 dries out?

I would not want this. I like to leave it open sometimes. If I'm just running into the drugstore? This would annoy the s*** out of me./QUOTE]

This exact same thing happened to me two days ago. I thought, "Oh, I'm only running into the drug store (Beer store for a 6-pack) and I'll be in and out in 5 minutes." Well in those five minutes it decided to downpour and I had to ride the rest of the way home with a wet ass. I agree that I wouldn't want a function to auto close it if your forget; But I would enjoy a blinking warning light somewhere on the dash to let you know the sunroof is open.

Well I bought damp rid just to be safe. Its a low profile container. It says in bold do not put it under the drivers seat. Not too sure why so I put it under the passenger seat. I do notice it smells strongly of the carpet cleaner powder or laundry detergent powder or something. Maybe the warning is just for the fumes emanating too close to the driver. Its not bad, it smells clean and fresh, just strong.

Well I bought damp rid just to be safe. Its a low profile container. It says in bold do not put it under the drivers seat. Not too sure why so I put it under the passenger seat. I do notice it smells strongly of the carpet cleaner powder or laundry detergent powder or something. Maybe the warning is just for the fumes emanating too close to the driver. Its not bad, it smells clean and fresh, just strong.

Personally, I would have just let it dry itself out. Why mess with it? It will be fine.

Yep. Worried over nothing.

Also, I wonder... if it says not to put it under the driver seat, I wouldn't put it under any seat. Maybe it needs breathing room?

It says in bold do not put it under the drivers seat.

Interesting. Out of curiosity, I just went on the mfr's website. It says "Prevent or eliminate excess moisture or odors in your car with a DampRid Disposable Moisture Absorber under one of the seats, or for odor control only, use Odor Genie." But the description on Walmart's website says to not place under the driver's seat.

I bet the issue is that it might be a safety hazard: a sudden stop and it slides out under the pedals.

Last edited:
Brilliant! I think youre right that they wouldnt want it to obstruct the pedals.

Personally, I would have just let it dry itself out. Why mess with it? It will be fine.

Im not sure where OP lives (Im on mobile right now). In FL, the humidity is so high here that it would take forever to dry out so something like DampRid would be a necessity for me.

Back