Last Word on Tire Pressure Readout or Lack Thereof?

Forgive me if I missed the past thread in my search. But, I've seen screenshots of MyMazda Connected Services app that show tire pressure. I did some Googling and apparently, the new CX-5's (2021) with the 10.5" screen are actually what is considered Gen 6.5 whereas the newer model CX-50 is the Gen 7 Infotainment system and will display individual tire pressures I assume on both the car's screen and the app?

I also understand that there is an ABS-based pressure system that has to do with tire rotation and not a pressure sensor in the wheel and the more widely known TPMS that has a pressure sensor in the wheel with the battery.

So my question is, on the CX-5s, starting in 2018 (or 2017.5 whenever the new generation came out) up to 2021, is it the pressure sensor system with an actual pressure sensor in the wheel? And if so, then is the fact you can't get actual tire pressure readings anywhere for the CX-5 just a software limitation?

By US law each tire must have a pressure sensor. How each manufacturer displays that data is less restricted.

On 2021 you'll get a light saying that one of the tires is low -- but it wont tell you which one, nor is there any display for the actual tire pressure

By US law each tire must have a pressure sensor. How each manufacturer displays that data is less restricted.
Not necessary each tire must have a pressure sensor by US regulations, but a TPMS by whichever way you can accomplish. All gen-1 CX-5’s use ABS sensors to monitor the tire pressure without any pressure sensor in the tires.

Reactions: AVC
individual tire pressures are only shown on the 2019+ Mazda 3 and the CX30. Since they are the newest designs, they have the latest hardware and software.
They also have 10k mile oil change intervals, even though they have the same engines as other models

individual tire pressures are only shown on the 2019+ Mazda 3 and the CX30. Since they are the newest designs, they have the latest hardware and software.
They also have 10k mile oil change intervals, even though they have the same engines as other models
Yes. But Mazda did use dedicated TPMS sensor on road tires before. They changed to ABS sensor system on gen-1 CX-5. I actually prefer this system as I don’t have to worry about those expensive TPMS tire sensors whenever I need a new set of tires. The current TPMS on gen-2 CX-5 which doesn’t display tire pressures anywhere wasting its “direct-read” capability. Might as well just use the cheap and simple old ABS sensors which serve exactly the same purpose!

Yes. But Mazda did use dedicated TPMS sensor on road tires before. They changed to ABS sensor system on gen-1 CX-5. I actually prefer this system as I don’t have to worry about those expensive TPMS tire sensors whenever I need a new set of tires. The current TPMS on gen-2 CX-5 which doesn’t display tire pressures anywhere wasting its “direct-read” capability. Might as well just use the cheap and simple old ABS sensors which serve exactly the same purpose!
The ABS module looks at differences in wheel speed, so an underinflated tire will spin at a different speed than a properly inflated tire. The problem comes when all four tires are low. They all spin at the same speed, so the module has no way of knowing that there is a problem.

Kind of a pitty, considering the 2021's with the updated Infotainment system combined with Mazda Connect, especially on the higher end Signature and Reserve models, has SO many bells and whistles, and yet they can't do what my 2009 Volvo S60R did and show individual pressure readings saving me the hassle of periodically checking pressure on all 4 tires.

The warning really is only when it's REALLY low. If you want best blend of ride and MPG for whatever temps you plan to be driving in, you really need to know the actual pressures. But I feel like I'm nit-picking a bit here considering the Reserve cost me $35K and for laughs, after purchase, I priced out the base model 248HP Porsche Macan with similar features and equipment and it came out to $65K LMAO. (That's why the CX-5 wins all the "Best" lists from the Car Mags or at least comes in 2nd behind the comparatively boring and uglier (inside and out) Honda CR-V) For $65K on the Porsche it better read individual tire pressures. LOL.

Kind of a pitty, considering the 2021's with the updated Infotainment system combined with Mazda Connect, especially on the higher end Signature and Reserve models, has SO many bells and whistles, and yet they can't do what my 2009 Volvo S60R did and show individual pressure readings saving me the hassle of periodically checking pressure on all 4 tires.
Or my 2006 Acura!

Or my 2006 Acura!
Or a Nissan Rogue ⋯

51F68ECE-888A-4C28-8216-7F77F956B602.jpeg

Back