Just Installed Fortin Remote Start on my new 2016 Mazda CX-5 DIY

I don’t have this issue on my 2019. Did you check all the settings in the Fortin programming software?

Does anyone get a double honk from the horn when opening/closing the rear liftgate? Is there a way to disable this? I installed the evo-one with the thar-one maz3 harness. I also made the horn connection as per this thread (thank you). I have a 2017 GT. I hope there is a fix for this as it is annoying AF.
You do not need any other connections. Only use the harness plugs. No horn or light connectors need to be spliced. Also, make sure you select that the car has a factory alarm when programming but you do NOT need to set up the evo ones own built in alarm. That is only to expand the evo one system with shock sensors etc as an add on to the factory mazda alarm.. Everything works flawlessly.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. I emailed Fortin and they told me to make the horn connection as the alarm was not working originally. Although I did select that I wanted the remote start and alarm in the settings.

I will try and reflash the unit and set it to remote start only. If I reflash the evo one do I need to somehow do a master reset on the unit first? Or will reflashing just overwrite what is already on there?

I installed Fortin on 2013 CX and 2016 Mazda6 last year. I forgot the specifics but I do know you have to ensure you install the latest firmware update. I did purchase the Fortin Key Fobs as well for longer distance.

The hardest part was doing the programming sequence over and over until you got it. Best ana;ogy I can make is its like dialing a 35-digit phone number on a rotary phone. Get digit 33 wrong and you start all over again.

Only Issues:

1. When Remote Starting and getting into takeover mode (you unlock the car, press start button, wait for red light on dash, then brake pedal to assume control) the cruise control is disabled on the CX-5 but not on the Mazda6. Not an issue as the cruise control is not used much. I would have to shut the car off then back on to use cruise control. I think there's a way to fix that but too lazy. As long as the car is cool were good.

2. When parking under metal-roofed carports, it sometimes throws the reception off.

Pros:

Hood Connector pin not required

Was able to remote start car from 1/4 mile away from 2nd story office line of sight.

Low price.

Tech support answered calls. Prior to purchase ask them which kit to buy.......as they will always refer you to purchase the easier to install kit.

Documentation out there from other forums /DIYers on their Mazda including Youtube Vids.

Can remove module and t-harness and reinstall into another compatible late model Mazda.

thanks for the reply. I emailed Fortin and they told me to make the horn connection as the alarm was not working originally. Although I did select that I wanted the remote start and alarm in the settings.

I will try and reflash the unit and set it to remote start only. If I reflash the evo one do I need to somehow do a master reset on the unit first? Or will reflashing just overwrite what is already on there?
I would completely erase the evo by repeating setup and reflashing using the wizard. It will overwrite the existing flash. First remove the individual wires you have connected and leave only the harness connectors. Definitely make sure both your flash link updater and evo one module are on the latest software and firmware before proceeding. Also choose that you have a factory alarm system when asked but do not choose to enable evo one as an alarm.

Ok I finally think I got it figured out. I guess my CX-5 didn’t come with a factory alarm after some testing... must just be an immobilizer. So after resetting it all back up I found a pro settings tab in the new flash manager software. It allowed me to disable horn & siren confirmations fixing the issue. Now it’s all quiet unless the alarm goes off. It was kind of hidden, it is up by your name in the top right hand corner. The new software is different looking than the setups I have seen in the past. Thanks for everyone’s help

OK, I installed my Evo-One last week, and after a couple of false starts (and a call to a grumpy tech at Fortin) I successfully enabled the car alarm functionality in the Evo-One. So now my US CX-5 does have a working car alarm - no thanks to Mazda USA. I know that folks will say that such alarms are useless, but given you get the functionality for free in the Evo, why not?

So, for those playing along at home, here's some tips on how to do this when you install your Evo on a 2nd gen CX-5. NOTE: this is how I did MY install on MY 2019 CX-5 Touring. I take no responsibility for you frying your car or the Fortin by following these tips. Doing this is YOUR responsibility.

First, when you configure your Evo-One (prior to installation), make sure your FlashLink config is set to use the "Built-In Alarm System". I was confused by this, because it was unclear whether this meant the car's built-in alarm, or the Fortin's. Hence the call to the tech, who told me it's with respect to the Fortin:

View attachment 222435

Then, when configuring the options on the 'Remote Starter' tab, make sure you select option 14.2, to enable BOTH the Remote Start and the Alarm functionality (don't forget to click 'Save Options' after this):

View attachment 222436

Remember - per the regular remote-start instructions and the video - you'll also need enable 38.2 (OR: 38.5) on the 'Remote Starter' tab, plus enable C1 on the 'Bypass' tab, for correct remote-start operation (this is just a reminder and not related to enabling the Alarm function).

For my install, I used the Fortin THAR-ONE-MAZ3 T-Harness, which is plug and play for everything EXCEPT the connection to the car's horn for the alarm. To make for a cleaner install, I popped all the optional (loose) wires out of the white 20-pin connector, except the horn trigger wire (Orange/Black) and Hood switch wire (Pink/Black). Of course, you may just want to leave all those loose wires in the connector and tie them up out of the way, but that's up to you. This shows the ones that *I* popped out of the connector (red X's), leaving only 6 wires in place:

View attachment 222437

Lastly, you'll install the Evo-One as per the instructions and/or the video linked above. But then you'll also need to extend that Orange/Black horn wire and splice it into the car's Blue horn wire that exits the steering wheel clock-spring connector. You can use a crimp splice connector if you wish, but I just soldered my extension wire to a piece of solid core wire and pushed it into the back of the connector until it made contact and then taped the wire so it wouldn't move and/or come out. You can test your connection by just grounding the other end of the wire and checking that the horn sounds - but BE CERTAIN you have the correct pin or you could fry something and be in a world of hurt.

The following two pics show where that clock-spring connector is - taken from below the steering column with the bottom shroud removed. Plus a close-up of the connector showing the blue horn wire. It was nice of Mazda to put this wire on the corner position, making it easy to find and access :) :

View attachment 222438

View attachment 222439

Once you've completed the installation and bypass programming, you should have a working remote start and car alarm. You can test the alarm by sitting in the car and locking the door with the remote, then manually unlock and open the door from the inside and the alarm should trigger (press 'unlock' on the remote to stop it). You also get an nice three-chirp signal when you unlock the door to signal that the alarm had been triggered.

Good luck!
Been meaning to do this...Posted a link to this post in our Resources section.

I have installed the evo-one in my CX-9 2018, push-to-start. Everything's worked fine and well. But now I want to check other things without it installed. How do I remove it? Is there certain settings I need to switch off before I plug the factory harness instead of the evo one's?

I have installed the evo-one in my CX-9 2018, push-to-start. Everything's worked fine and well. But now I want to check other things without it installed. How do I remove it? Is there certain settings I need to switch off before I plug the factory harness instead of the evo one's?
Just unplug it and reconnect the connectors in the factory locations.

Back