Joep Fpr

kneedragger89

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
i am thinking about ordering one of these to solve my hesitation problem. has anyone used and had success/problems?

I just got one delivered Monday. havnt had a chance to mess with it cus i have a INJEN CAI so not sure how to put it on :D + im a lil scared

Even though JOE himself said flashed ecus are ok? lol

maybe to sell his product...but i have heard MANY, MANY people say that he came out with that before Mazda started flashing ecu's. So use at ur own risk. Just buy a Uni or SS or something. Just cause 1 guy said its ok doesnt convince me.

The JoeP FPR is a gimmick/band aid solution to a problem that needs to be solved by tuning. I would not install it unless you have a wideband O2 and display installed and can monitor realtime AFRs. There is no telling what effect that thing will have on your air/Fuel mixture under different conditions. Thing is, if you have a wideband in your car, you obviously have the money so just get a real AFC or EMS and be done with it.

Yeah you can use AFCs on flashed or unflashed ECUs (Probably not too many unflashed ones around anymore though). Get someone who knows what they are doing to tune it though or run a proven base map for your mods.

Wait, I see you are running a boost controller. What are you using to tune for increased boost as of now?

Last edited:
Ihave the boost turned down so i Think. My boostcontroller is reading 1psi of boost under WOT. I am waiting to install the Forge wastegate i have before I attempt to set the boost back to stock atleast i hope. I am not sure if the stock wastegate is the the reason why the boost is so low or the BC is set low. I am scared to turn it up. I haven't touched the settings on the boost controller since i installed the FMIC last week and that seem to have made the boostgo down. I am confused right now

Ihave the boost turned down so i Think. My boostcontroller is reading 1psi of boost under WOT. I am waiting to install the Forge wastegate i have before I attempt to set the boost back to stock atleast i hope. I am not sure if the stock wastegate is the the reason why the boost is so low or the BC is set low. I am scared to turn it up. I haven't touched the settings on the boost controller since i installed the FMIC last week and that seem to have made the boostgo down. I am confused right now

Sounds like you either have a significant boost leak or your wastegate is stuck open. How is the car running both in and out of boost? Does it feel like its only boosting 1 psi? Is the CEL on? Any codes? What are you vacuum readings at idle? No matter what the boost controller is set at, it should at least build the amount of boost set by the wastegate actuator (which is 5-7 psii on most MSPs from the factory), so you can probably rule that one out. Provided that it is installed correctly. The WGA uses boost pressure to open the wastegate, so a completely non functional WGA would prevent the wastegate from opening and cause overboosting. However, a leaking WGA would cause a vacuum/boost leak, in which case you'd be seeing less than 20HG/in of vac at idle, however you would likely still be able to build some boost. First thing you should do is go over everything you touched for the FMIC install, especially charge pipe connections. If you do not find a leak, answer the above questions and I'll try and help you trouble shoot.

By the way, looks like I'll be relocating to San Diego by the end of the year, so I may run into you sometime soon. TTYL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back