iPod (again)

broomco

I have read thru all the previous posts regarding iPod, and am still confused as to what the best solution is for me. We are getting an 08 Touring (I guess I'm cheap, everyone else has a GT). Anyway, no Bose, no Navi, no Sirius, just the factory stock unit. The dealer showed me the iPod integration unit, and I like how you can control with the head unit/steering wheel, but I don't like how you can't see what you're playing. Part is $150 + install (didn't ask them how much that was). Anyway, any other simpler solutions that cost less? Ideally would like a way to charge/play and have good sound quality.

Please educate me, new to iPod and CX9...Thanks.

I have read thru all the previous posts regarding iPod, and am still confused as to what the best solution is for me. We are getting an 08 Touring (I guess I'm cheap, everyone else has a GT). Anyway, no Bose, no Navi, no Sirius, just the factory stock unit. The dealer showed me the iPod integration unit, and I like how you can control with the head unit/steering wheel, but I don't like how you can't see what you're playing. Part is $150 + install (didn't ask them how much that was). Anyway, any other simpler solutions that cost less? Ideally would like a way to charge/play and have good sound quality.

Please educate me, new to iPod and CX9...Thanks.

An easy way is to get an FM broadcaster like the iTrip from Griffin. Another option is the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play. It has a separate screen and scroll wheel you can mount for navigation. They have 2 models...the newer one (Drive + Play 2) is very expensive. The older one (Drive + Play 1) is cheaper, but discontinued. I have two (I bought a few), new & unopened, that I bought for $20 that I'd be willing to sell for the same price if you're interested. Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited:
...bought for $20 that I'd be willing to sell for the same price...

That's a great deal!

I also have the H/K D+P and really like it. You will probably also need the 1/8" to 1/8" ground loop isolator from www.crutchfield.com to prevent hum when using the Aux in.

Even if you have to pay someone to install the H/K, it's still a way better system than the Mazda integration kit.

An easy way is to get an FM broadcaster like the iTrip from Griffin. Another option is the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play. It has a separate screen and scroll wheel you can mount for navigation. They have 2 models...the newer one (Drive + Play 2) is very expensive. The older one (Drive + Play 1) is cheaper, but discontinued. I have two (I bought a few), new & unopened, that I bought for $20 that I'd be willing to sell for the same price if you're interested. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for the reply and the offer. I'm going to do some research on the drive + play...

Is there any way to incorporate an iPod so that its songs display (and can be controlled on) the built-in NAVI screen?

In particular, does anyone know anything about the Dice Electronics iPod integration unit? Says on its website that it's compatible with the CX-9 with the NAVI system, and also seems to show that the info is displayed on the screen.

See http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merc...Code=i-Mazda-R2&Category_Code=DICE_IPOD_MAZDA

FiveG

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the touring has the auxiliary port but my gt does in the center console. So i bought an auxiliary cable from the Mac store for 20 bucks and it works great..You still cant see what your playing on the screen but it still works great...No static at all which may be a problem with the fm transmitter

Agreed -- the Aux port works great. Just wish I could get some controllability and see what's playing through the vehicle's audio system.

I'm not sure if the touring has the auxiliary port but my gt does in the center console. So i bought an auxiliary cable from the Mac store for 20 bucks and it works great..You still cant see what your playing on the screen but it still works great...No static at all which may be a problem with the fm transmitter

Do power your ipod in the car by connecting the cigarette lighter to the docking port? I ask because I just posted about a squeal that I get when I have power connected.

apparently you need a ground loop isolator when powering the iPod while playing it. This is mentioned earlier on in another post.
I am able to get about 15 to 20 hours out of my iPod battery so for now I will just bring it in the house to charge, or charge it while not using it with the 12 volt charger.
I wish Dension made one of their units for the CX-9 that shows the track names and playlists on the factory audio screen. Perhaps they will soon.

I use the Belkin Auto Adapter for Ipod. It allows you to connect the aux input directly to the power connector, all inside the center console. Then there is only the docking connection to the Ipod. No groud loop noise either. I have a rubber cover for my IPod, so I lay it next to the shifter which works very nicly and it does not fly around. The only change I would like is to have the center console power attached to Ignition and not Battery. This would allow the Ipod to stop by itself when the vehicle is shut down.

I use the Belkin Auto Adapter for Ipod. It allows you to connect the aux input directly to the power connector, all inside the center console. Then there is only the docking connection to the Ipod. No groud loop noise either. I have a rubber cover for my IPod, so I lay it next to the shifter which works very nicly and it does not fly around. The only change I would like is to have the center console power attached to Ignition and not Battery. This would allow the Ipod to stop by itself when the vehicle is shut down.

Do you have a model # or link to the Belkin product? I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Here is one made by sik:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

here is a new one from griffin that has some ipod controls on the lighter plug (useless for the CX-9) The advantage is that it is black with black cables if you have a black interior.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

Monster used to make one but I can't find it anymore.

Here is a new one that is not even released yet. It was just announced at CES but it will be pricey and it comes with a remote for your wheel which seems like a bad idea for the CX-9. (you could put the remote elsewhere I suppose)
http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/LiquidAUXGI/1000425397

Then, here is the one that I own which I like very much. You supply your own charger and cables. Advantage is you use the line out for better audio:
http://sendstation.com/

I recall the belkin had a volume knob on it when I researched it years ago which I didn't like. If it still has it I don't like the idea of a cheap pot resistor on my line out line. The audio volume on the stereo is enough.

I am curious why yours does not have alternator whine while other people need an isolator. They must be using the same type of device as your Belkin after all if they are charging while playing music.

I haven't tried charging while playing my iPod yet. I suppose I should.

As for the iPod shutting off, Have you tested when you pull out your charger from the socket if the iPod will pause and eventually shut off?
I thought this was a feature that only the high end iPod controllers could do. However it may be built into the iPod to pause when the charger cuts power, and then resumes play when power from charger is switched back on. That would be great.

Model number is Belkin F8V7058-APB. Lots of them on ebay.
Not sure why I don't get the alternator whine. I have not tried a stand-alone charger and connection through the headphone jack.
The Ipod will shut off if power is disconnected, but will not turn back on when power is re-connected. I'm sure it would not be too hard to re-wire the outlet to be powered by ignition. Just need the time to get to that.

Not sure why I don't get the alternator whine. I have not tried a stand-alone charger and connection through the headphone jack.
The Ipod will shut off if power is disconnected, but will not turn back on when power is re-connected. I'm sure it would not be too hard to re-wire the outlet to be powered by ignition. Just need the time to get to that.

that is interesting that it shuts off. Somewhere in that dock connector cable is a power-on signal wire as well as all other iPod controls. The devices like the Denson Ice switch the ipod back on and continue playing where you left off when you switch back to AUX. I will email them to see if they are going to make a version for the CX-9.

Hey, what is your configuration? Navi, switch, etc. I'm curious as well why you don't get the whine. I have the Belkin connection kit which allows you to adjust the output gain, but it is too noisy for my taste when run through the power jack.

Dice Success! Nav + iPod (with text song display) + Aux + Nav (no Sirius)

Success! Nav + iPod (with text song display) + Aux + Nav (no Sirius) with the Dice Electronics iPod integration module (i-Mazda-R2).

Song information is displayed on the Nav screen (title, artist + album). The details are truncated some; but quite useable.

Steering wheel controls work well with one catch that you have to be careful to use a "long-press" to seek to the next song (rather than a short press which switches between presets and confuses the dice since presets are used to switch between its modes: track, playlist, album, etc).

The biggest limitation so far is that it can switch between albums and playlists; but can displays the names of those. Apparently it was a standard limitation of the Dice modules. But they just came out with a BMW model (SilverLine) that adds support for playlist and album names.

I'm checking with dice now on if/when an updated version for Mazda is expected. I already checked if their HD radio + ipod module was on the way for Mazdas. Unfortunately they said that something about the Mazda headunits made it virtually impossible to develop a useable control mechanism for Mazdas :(

-Jeff

Success! Nav + iPod (with text song display) + Aux + Nav (no Sirius) with the Dice Electronics iPod integration module (i-Mazda-R2).

Song information is displayed on the Nav screen (title, artist + album). The details are truncated some; but quite useable.

Steering wheel controls work well with one catch that you have to be careful to use a "long-press" to seek to the next song (rather than a short press which switches between presets and confuses the dice since presets are used to switch between its modes: track, playlist, album, etc).

The biggest limitation so far is that it can switch between albums and playlists; but can displays the names of those. Apparently it was a standard limitation of the Dice modules. But they just came out with a BMW model (SilverLine) that adds support for playlist and album names.

I'm checking with dice now on if/when an updated version for Mazda is expected. I already checked if their HD radio + ipod module was on the way for Mazdas. Unfortunately they said that something about the Mazda headunits made it virtually impossible to develop a useable control mechanism for Mazdas :(

-Jeff

Is it a plug and play ??? I don't want to cut any wires.

This is great news! Thanks for posting about the Dice unit. I have been waiting for Dice to ship a CX-9 unit since before I bought my CX-9.
For other cars the Dice unit is plug and play. However the install can still take a while on many cars as they often must plug into the CD changer that is often in the trunk of cars, and a cable must be routed all the way to the head unit. With the CX-9, this install may be easier with everything in the dash. Still you will have to hide the box somewhere... Not knowing anything about it other than what was posted above, I already know I will be buying this when it ships. Dice makes the best iPod integration kits out there, IMOP.

Latest posts

Back