I'm getting an oil change at Costco and I don't care

clownshoes2

2017 CX-5 GT No Tech - 2023 CX-30 GT NA
:
CX-5
I've always gone to the dealer, but they are not open weekends anymore so I'm going to Costco. Castrol Edge is a good oil, the filter can't be that bad. I'm doing it. Roast me, I don't care but I need one badly.

I've always gone to the dealer, but they are not open weekends anymore so I'm going to Costco. Castrol Edge is a good oil, the filter can't be that bad. I'm doing it. Roast me, I don't care but I need one badly.
Good for you! 🤪

And good luck to get any car service at Costco on Saturday! See how long you’d have to wait in line and report back. :p

But Costco doesn’t even do battery installation even though they do sell batteries, you really think Costco will do oil change for you??? 🤔

It's your car and what you do with it, or what you let others do with it, is your business. If you don't care, we certainly don't either.

Good luck.

If you don't mind a little unsolicited suggestion:
Next time, buy a couple of filters at the dealer, then go to a quick lube place, be it Costco or Jiffy lube or whatever, and give them the factory oil filter to use instead of their generic brand. You can also specify what grade of oil you want.
I do that now, and specify full synthetic 5W30. In and out in 20 minutes, with factory filter installed.

At Costco up here they book appointments. 10:30 tomorrow morning (thought it was today). No waiting, no nothing. The lady was quite helpful. 59.99 for full synthetic.

Sounds like there is a story here bigger than going to Costco per se.
Why? If you don't mind telling us. ;)
Just went on too long. I'm only a few thousand over. I'm an oldschool every 5km oil change guy.

At Costco up here they book appointments. 10:30 tomorrow morning (thought it was today). No waiting, no nothing. The lady was quite helpful. 59.99 for full synthetic.
Really? Costco’s here in Texas and California (or all US Costco’s?) where I‘ve been visiting don’t do oil change, nor battery installation even though they do sell Interstate batteries in-store.

Just went on too long. I'm only a few thousand over. I'm an oldschool every 5km oil change guy.
Every 5K is only about 3,000 miles.
If you've gone even a few thousand Kms over that, I wouldn't worry too much.
Just make sure the level stays where it should be until you get it done.

Btw, I'm like you as well. I do oil changes more frequently than what the manual or the general consensus says, so going over my self imposed oil change intervals a bit does no harm.

Really? Costco’s here in Texas and California (or all US Costco’s?) where I‘ve been visiting don’t do oil change, nor battery installation even though they do sell Interstate batteries in-store.
Nope, they have a whole online booking system. They only take appointments, no walk ins so no waiting (other than waiting for the service). Keeps the chaos down at the Tire and Lube place.

You must be mistaken because I just looked and I can book...tire appointments...at least in Plano Texas.

www.costcotireappointments.com/

Last edited:
Every 5K is only about 3,000 miles.
If you've gone even a few thousand Kms over that, I wouldn't worry too much.
Just make sure the level stays where it should be until you get it done.

Btw, I'm like you as well. I do oil changes more frequently than what the manual or the general consensus says, so going over my self imposed oil change intervals a bit does no harm.
I've run most of my vehicles well over 350K kms. In fact, the last 2 have rotted out before engine/transmission failure.

Where is "up here"? Can't imagine Costco doing this kind of service work. Not in California anyway!

I've run most of my vehicles well over 350K kms. In fact, the last 2 have rotted out before engine/transmission failure.
Ya, frequent oil changes usually results in an engine outlasting the car, especially where I am in Canada.
In all the cars I've ever owned, I've never had an engine problem. The last vehicle I had went 18 years and 330,000 Kms. Engine was still running like new. No leaks or burning.
It's people that run 15,000 miles or more (and years between) on one oil change that makes me shake my head. It's ok in the short run, but not OK if you plan to run it out for a long time.
(My personal opinion, but to each their own).

Canuckistan
1690674939866.png

You need one badly? Which, a roast or an oil change?

Been biting my tongue on this thread as this topic can often lead to a lot of "odd" opinions.

I will be using the dealer exclusively during my warranty period for the Mazda Moly Oil.

Castrol is merely a "blendor". They buy oil from sombody, they buy the additive package from somebody else, blend, package and sell. Is that bad- no. I believe it was Castrol who got into trouble a while back for labeling motor oil as full synthetic when it was not. The reason they pulled that was the base oil was so uniform it "appeared" to be synthetic, but had not been synthetically manipulated. Is that bad- meh, no.

Having anyone else change your oil is a danger as stated above due to improper or incomplete procedure. We all have heard the horror stories.

At the end of the day (for the vehicles I own) as far as frequency I prefer 5K miles. Vehicles vary widely however and you may get a little more, but the only way to tell what is OK and what is happening inside your engine is to have your used oil analyzed by Blackstone.

The real take away is to change your oil per the manual (more or less miles based on analysis) and use an oil that is:

1: ILSAC GF-6 (A or B depending on application)
2: API SP

Every oil will have an ILSAC and API rating on the packaging. Follow bullet points 1 & 2 and everything will be fine. Going past that is splitting hairs.

For splitting hairs I am currently using Kendall GT-1 Max with the LiquiTek additive package. Kendall uses a Phillips 66 base oil and can be picky about which fields the crude is extracted from.

Anyone wishing to learn a little more can check out the articles here:

http://www.lydenoil.com/lyden/school

I have to say changing oil every 5 km / 3,107 miles is an overkill unless the oil has been in service for more than 12 months. I’m an old school too, and I also would like to change the oil early. I change the oil on CX-5 roughly based on Mazda’s “Flexible” oil change interval but I rarely waited the “Oil change due” message by “Flexible” feature, but at about 30% oil life left which is about 5K ~ 6K miles, unless when the message came up by the 12-month oil service time.

Remember the oil technology has improved greatly from our old days. We need to adjust our thinking to catch up the improved oil technology. 10,000-mile oil service life isn’t a joke, and it’s been proven by too many used oil analysis. Furthermore, Toyota has been using 10,000-mile oil change schedule for many years encouraged by Toyota’s free 2-year factory new vehicle maintenance with even thinner 0W-16 oil!

Using a longer oil change interval not only saves us some money especially for the retired people like me with current incredible inflation, but also saves the environment if you found how much used oil is actually been burned off shore. And that’s why the “Flexible” oil change monitor, a system started in Europe trying to maximize the oil service life and less oil change, is mandatory in many regions.

Been biting my tongue on this thread as this topic can often lead to a lot of "odd" opinions.

I will be using the dealer exclusively during my warranty period for the Mazda Moly Oil.

Castrol is merely a "blendor". They buy oil from sombody, they buy the additive package from somebody else, blend, package and sell. Is that bad- no. I believe it was Castrol who got into trouble a while back for labeling motor oil as full synthetic when it was not. The reason they pulled that was the base oil was so uniform it "appeared" to be synthetic, but had not been synthetically manipulated. Is that bad- meh, no.

Having anyone else change your oil is a danger as stated above due to improper or incomplete procedure. We all have heard the horror stories.

At the end of the day (for the vehicles I own) as far as frequency I prefer 5K miles. Vehicles vary widely however and you may get a little more, but the only way to tell what is OK and what is happening inside your engine is to have your used oil analyzed by Blackstone.

The real take away is to change your oil per the manual (more or less miles based on analysis) and use an oil that is:

1: ILSAC GF-6 (A or B depending on application)
2: API SP

Every oil will have an ILSAC and API rating on the packaging. Follow bullet points 1 & 2 and everything will be fine. Going past that is splitting hairs.

For splitting hairs I am currently using Kendall GT-1 Max with the LiquiTek additive package. Kendall uses a Phillips 66 base oil and can be picky about which fields the crude is extracted from.

Anyone wishing to learn a little more can check out the articles here:

http://www.lydenoil.com/lyden/school

"I will be using the dealer exclusively during my warranty period for the Mazda Moly Oil."

Having your dealer change your oil exclusively is no guarantee that they are using the correct oil (or even the correct oil filter) as specified by Mazda. Not all dealers use the correct oil, and this has been verified by many here on this forum.

You can change your own oil and still use the correct Moly oil as specified by Mazda, this is what I do.

Back