I'm getting an oil change at Costco and I don't care

"I will be using the dealer exclusively during my warranty period for the Mazda Moly Oil."

Having your dealer change your oil exclusively is no guarantee that they are using the correct oil (or even the correct oil filter) as specified by Mazda. Not all dealers use the correct oil, and this has been verified by many here on this forum.

You can change your own oil and still use the correct Moly oil as specified by Mazda, this is what I do.
"Not all dealers use the correct oil, and this has been verified by many here on this forum."

See above post, verify ISLAC GF6 and API SP & filter. Piece of cake.

"You can change your own oil and still use the correct Moly oil as specified by Mazda, this is what I do."

Hey, thanks for the tip. I will do it at the dealer for the easiest proof of service during the warranty period. I get it- you can have others do it- or yourself, and keep records, but with a record at the Mazda Dealer it makes it easy and *may* eliminate future hassle. After warranty unless something changes- see above post as it's going to be Kendall.

I've always gone to the dealer, but they are not open weekends anymore so I'm going to Costco. Castrol Edge is a good oil, the filter can't be that bad. I'm doing it. Roast me, I don't care but I need one badly.
....um, ok....

I didn't read every post, so maybe this was mentioned: Unless the law has been changed (and I don't think it has) you do NOT have to use the manufacturer's brand or any other specific brand that they may suggest to maintain your warranty.

The only thing you do need to do is use the correct rating and weight.

"Not all dealers use the correct oil, and this has been verified by many here on this forum."

"You can change your own oil and still use the correct Moly oil as specified by Mazda, this is what I do."

Hey, thanks for the tip. I will do it at the dealer for the easiest proof of service during the warranty period. I get it- you can have others do it- or yourself, and keep records, but with a record at the Mazda Dealer it makes it easy and *may* eliminate future hassle. After warranty unless something changes- see above post as it's going to be Kendall.
No shame in having the dealer do it. I had the dealer do my oil changes for 1 year past powertrain warranty. Agree it may eliminate/minimize future hassle. Was part of my reasoning. Occasionally they'd do a quick vacuum inside but always a decent exterior wash. Price wasn't too bad all things considered, especially with $10 off coupon. Sometimes tire rotation included in the price.
Had many years of oil changes under my belt so the thrill factor was gone. Didn't even feel a decrease in my masculinity.;)

It's your time, your car, and your money. Do what you want.

I've been on this forum, and others, for quite some time. I have yet to see anyone have an oil related breakdown and have to prove to the dealership that they've changed the oil per the manufacturer's requirements.

No shame in having the dealer do it. I had the dealer do my oil changes for 1 year past powertrain warranty. Agree it may eliminate/minimize future hassle. Was part of my reasoning. Occasionally they'd do a quick vacuum inside but always a decent exterior wash. Price wasn't too bad all things considered, especially with $10 off coupon. Sometimes tire rotation included in the price.
Had many years of oil changes under my belt so the thrill factor was gone. Didn't even feel a decrease in my masculinity.;)

Have you ever watched the people at the dealership wash a car? It's either a young kid just starting out in the working world or it's an old guy supplementing his retirement income. Either way, they're washing your car and they don't care all that much. I've seen them drop the wash rag on the floor in the wash bay and pick it right back up and continue rubbing on the paint. No thanks.

"Had many years of oil changes under my belt so the thrill factor was gone. Didn't even feel a decrease in my masculinity.;)"

I can't speak for others, but I'll wager a guess, I don't think that many of us do it for the thrill. :ROFLMAO:

The only requirement Mazda puts on oil used is that it be 0w-20 or 5w-30 (depending on the engine), and be at least API SM. SM was the oil standard from 2004-2011 and is already 2 generations old. The current standard is API SP/GF6

Mazda has never required any particular brand of oil be used. The mention of Castrol in the manual is purely a marketing thing done by many OEMs.

If you want Mazda Moly to be used, you'll have to specifically ask for it and some dealers don't even have it. Also, it only comes in 0w-20, so turbo owners are out of luck

Have you ever watched the people at the dealership wash a car? It's either a young kid just starting out in the working world or it's an old guy supplementing his retirement income. Either way, they're washing your car and they don't care all that much. I've seen them drop the wash rag on the floor in the wash bay and pick it right back up and continue rubbing on the paint. No thanks.

"Had many years of oil changes under my belt so the thrill factor was gone. Didn't even feel a decrease in my masculinity.;)"

I can't speak for others, but I'll wager a guess, I don't think that many of us do it for the thrill. :ROFLMAO:
We must have had different experiences. More than once I've seen 2 guys (must be their detail crew) hand washing my car in a wash bay adjacent to the service department. Then later what resembled a car wash (not drive thru) was installed. Never found any scratches or reason to complain.
Can't really tell whether you caught the sarcasm, but never any thrill involved. Just sense of doing it "my way". I restarted doing oil changes 3 years ago. We'll see how long that continues. No plans to discontinue yet.

Experience with dealerships is highly subjective. I am sure there are some which are great and others not so much. Also it seems different quality in different states.
My local experience with VW is great but with Mazda is mixed. One ford dealership was terrible while another was good and so on.
Everybody is free to do what they see best fit with their car.

so the dealer will accept you changing your oil and filter as long as you save receipts for said materials? Seems most of the time dealer has to do service to keep warranties alive.

not that i want dealer servicing my vehicle.....let's see, let them eff it up and replace the motor or i just do maintenance and motor lives for decades. hmmmmm, hard choice.....NOT

Last edited:
We must have had different experiences. More than once I've seen 2 guys (must be their detail crew) hand washing my car in a wash bay adjacent to the service department. Then later what resembled a car wash (not drive thru) was installed. Never found any scratches or reason to complain.
Can't really tell whether you caught the sarcasm, but never any thrill involved. Just sense of doing it "my way". I restarted doing oil changes 3 years ago. We'll see how long that continues. No plans to discontinue yet.

Yes, I caught it, thus the laughing face.

Nope, they have a whole online booking system. They only take appointments, no walk ins so no waiting (other than waiting for the service). Keeps the chaos down at the Tire and Lube place.

You must be mistaken because I just looked and I can book...tire appointments...at least in Plano Texas.

www.costcotireappointments.com/
I stopped by a Costco near by checking out the car service department on Sunday. Yes they still only do tire installation business nothing else. No oil change or battery installation. And yes I have to make an appointment to install new tires. The earliest time is Wednesday, 3 days later!

I’ll keep doing my tire business with Discount Tire Store where I can simply walk in when I need an immediate free flat repair, even on my factory tires by the way.

And the price for Interstate Group 35 battery went up again to $119.99. It was $109.99 in June, and $78.89 a couple of years ago! And the warranty has also downgraded to 36-month “prorated” warranty with the price increase, instead of 36-month “replacement” warranty!

Last edited:
I love this post and I totally agree. People don't REALLY go to the dealer AFTER the warranty expires for...oil changes? During, I get. Absolutely. You should. First hand knowledge here, see below. And I have had it done once after my warranty was up because I liked my dealer and the Firestone that I like...doesn't do the Diff fluid?!?
I actually know the regional service manager for a district Ohio. He got me the -employee discount- or whatever they call it when I bought. He is an actual person I know (friend of a good friend) not "the guy I talk to all the time at the dealer"...
He told me a story about an owner that religiously got his car serviced during the warranty period at one of this dealers. He took it in for a 'last service' right before the warranty expired. 6 weeks later, the transmission blew. 6 weeks after the warranty. This guy authorized a new transmission on Mazda because, and I quote "This guy was religiously coming to the dealer, he was here 6 weeks prior to the failure...transmission don't just die...we absolutely should have noticed something wasn't right at that last service. So because of this, I authorized a warranty replacement on the tranny"...

Finally...let's be honest: this is a Mazda with an NA engine (I am not referencing the Turbo models here). It's not a Porsche, BMW, Lambo... hell it's not even a Volvo...doesn't even require high octane fuel. You're not going to damage it by NOT using Mazda's whatevertheF oil.

I never go to dealers for oil changes. They always charge 2 to 3 times what my normal place charges and because they put it on the Carfax. There’s the proof that Mazda requires showing oil changes were completed.
Also, I like to add:
Lucas Oil 10130 Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer - 1 Quart https://a.co/d/ciRgTFj

I do the spark plugs with my guy as well every 40 K miles and use the money. I save to pay for oil changes. And while the car is under warranty, I only use regular oil…typically a blend.

Finally, every year I use CRC turbo and engine, cleaner spray directly into the throttle body to help. Keep carbon deposits low.
CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner https://a.co/d/gn07CkK

I will say the dealer THAT I USED TO LIKE (they suck now) did NOT charge much more at all then a regular garage would. The same as many and only maybe $10 more then those quick change places.
I think most dealers recognize today people will stop coming if you charge 2x the price for the simple stuff.

I have three Mazda dealers in my area, I know lucky me. None of them charge anywhere near my guys price most are $60 not including tire rotation and for synthetic blend. my guy does synthetic blend and tire rotation for $40.

On a quick note, I emailed signed up for their coupon specials from the dealers in my area, and occasionally they do deals on oil changes, and they all honor each other’s coupons.

Back