I'm getting an oil change at Costco and I don't care

I think most dealers recognize today people will stop coming if you charge 2x the price for the simple stuff.
You would hope so.

The Subaru dealer we've been dealing with for 40 years was bought out by a large company several years ago that has been buying franchises at a frantic pace. We just received a "special coupon" from them for an oil & filter change with tire rotation for $149. Safe to say they've just lost any future service from us.

I was $67 after taxes for a full synthetic oil change. At the dealer I'm almost $100. It was a bit of a wait but next time I'll know to come right at appointment time and it will be about an hour and 15 mins.

I was $67 after taxes for a full synthetic oil change. At the dealer I'm almost $100. It was a bit of a wait but next time I'll know to come right at appointment time and it will be about an hour and 15 mins.

That's not a bad price considering that when I do it myself, using OEM oil and filter, it costs ~$50.

What oil and filter did Costco use?

That's not a bad price considering that when I do it myself, using OEM oil and filter, it costs ~$50.

What oil and filter did Costco use?
Castrol Edge, the synthetic one for GDI engines or whatever. Who knows what filter. Next time I might just ask them to put my own on.

I’m old and NEVER go back to the dealer for anything except warranty work. I don’t know why people think they MUST go to the dealer. If I don’t feel like changing my own oil, I have a local trusted Indy mechanic that I use.
Support your local mom and pop shops! Most are all honest, esp if they've been around a long time.

If you don't mind getting under the car, get a Fumoto valve with the nipple extension + 4-6" scrap trans hose (sold by foot at auto parts store) and drain HOT oil (sediments have not settled and oil is less viscus/flows better) directly into your bulk oil container. Don't need any tool (except the short hose to direct flow, and means to get under the car) and not a drip of oil on the floor. Oil filter is a different battle...

Last edited:
My dealer charges $69.99. Just checked another dealer: $69.99.

Support your local mom and pop shops! Most are all honest, esp if they've been around a long time.

If you don't mind getting under the car, get a Fumoto valve with the nipple extension + 4-6" scrap trans hose (sold by foot at auto parts store) and drain HOT oil (sediments have not settled and oil is less viscus/flows better) directly into your bulk oil container. Don't need any tool (except the short hose to direct flow, and means to get under the car) and not a drip of oil on the floor. Oil filter is a different battle...
Local shops are typically not open when I'm available to get small stuff like this done.

Who knows what filter. Next time I might just ask them to put my own on.
That's exactly what I do. Buy the Mazda filters and then go to a quicky lube place and get them to install it vs. their own crappy filters.
I also bring a ziplock bag and ask for the old filter back. If the old one is not a Mazda filter, then I know I was scammed the last time.

Yeah, this local garage is run by the original owner's son and around 3-4 employees. I know the dad, but haven't seen him in a long time, he's not around much anymore. The son has always been great.

I'm too old to get under cars nowadays, especially a new one that I'm not familiar with. In the past, I would always write down the wrench size of the plug, which side of the vehicle to best access the plug and filter, write the mileage down, and put the paper in the glove box for next time.

Yeah, this local garage is run by the original owner's son and around 3-4 employees. I know the dad, but haven't seen him in a long time, he's not around much anymore. The son has always been great.

I'm too old to get under cars nowadays, especially a new one that I'm not familiar with. In the past, I would always write down the wrench size of the plug, which side of the vehicle to best access the plug and filter, write the mileage down, and put the paper in the glove box for next time.
I get it, but the local shop is always busy, doesn't have a modern booking system, I have to leave the car all day for an oil change and for it to be only slightly less than Costco. I get it, but it's such a hassle.

Have you ever watched the people at the dealership wash a car? It's either a young kid just starting out in the working world or it's an old guy supplementing his retirement income. Either way, they're washing your car and they don't care all that much. I've seen them drop the wash rag on the floor in the wash bay and pick it right back up and continue rubbing on the paint. No thanks.

"Had many years of oil changes under my belt so the thrill factor was gone. Didn't even feel a decrease in my masculinity.;)"

I can't speak for others, but I'll wager a guess, I don't think that many of us do it for the thrill. :ROFLMAO:
one of the VW dealers i used to frequent used to include a car wash with every service. i ended up asking them to not wash the car, since they were bringing it to a nearby carwash and using the brush to wash the car - swirlmarks galore.

I get it, but the local shop is always busy, doesn't have a modern booking system, I have to leave the car all day for an oil change and for it to be only slightly less than Costco. I get it, but it's such a hassle.
Okay, not like that here (small town). I make an appointment, take it in and it’s done in 20-30 minutes. I either wait or walk down to the nearby Dollar Gen and shop.

Back