How-To: LED Interior / Reverse / Licence plate lights

I just got my all white ones yesterday, since it was my anniversary my wife didnt want me to work on the car :( so I will install the white ones tonight and take pics and pist them for everyone!

I too was thinking about BLUE or RED as those would look sweet! But I have gone blue before in other cars and it always makes things darker, I want it bright, so I figured white would be best.

Awesome, can't wait to see them! I'm really interested in red, preservation of night vision when my wife suddenly decides to go digging through her purse for whatever reason is important to me.

bulbs are installed now, just waiting for it to get dark, will not be until at least 8pm tonight unfortuntely, but then you can see what white looks like inside and on the license plate as well

Alright finally took my pics. I am not good with the camera. But these are about exactly how they look in person. The camera kept wanting to make things look brighter, but I adjusted the shutter or whatever it is to make it look just like I could see in person. In my oppinion the pics in the first page HAVE to be brightened because I doubt blue would be as bright as they look in the pics.

To correct the first post, the ones I used for the map, glovebox, and license plate are the WLEDx6 not WLEDx5 like the first post. Other than that the dome and trunk are the Festoon he mentioned

These are Hyperwhite everywhere:
Cool White Glovebox
3087711_50_full.jpg

Cool White Trunk LED
3087711_53_full.jpg

Cool white dome and map lighting up front and back seats
3087711_54_full.jpg

3087711_55_full.jpg

3087711_56_full.jpg

Cool white license plate lights
3087711_52_full.jpg

OH YEAH and someone had asked before if putting on leds would eliminate the dimming of the lights... that still works, when you shut the doors and lock it still dims out and turns off. Nothing is lost in that department

Last edited:
Thank you VERY much. Those looks really sharp. But I think I decided to go with the red now ;)

As an aside, what are all the dials running up the column to the left of the driver? And is that standard in the MS3, I think I've seen it a couple other times.

Thank you VERY much. Those looks really sharp. But I think I decided to go with the red now ;)

As an aside, what are all the dials running up the column to the left of the driver? And is that standard in the MS3, I think I've seen it a couple other times.

I bought a full a-pillar 3 guage pod thats what that is. Works great and fits fine and got it on ebay pretty cheap. Here is a picture of it by itself;

3087711_33_full.jpg

I too would not have minded red or blue leds for the interior. I barely drive at night so I rarely ever would even need brighter interior lights to be honest, but I have seen blue from doing it before and its still very dim. And If I need to find something or my wife needs to find something it can be a pain. White is pretty bright, looks brighter than stock and with a cooler color

OH YEAH and someone had asked before if putting on leds would eliminate the dimming of the lights... that still works, when you shut the doors and lock it still dims out and turns off. Nothing is lost in that department

Thanks!!! LEDs here I come! :-)

kyle, did you do the reverse lights as well?
i'm also curious to find a local spot with the leds instead of ordering them online. but whatever...

those lights look good. although i think the white would be too bright for me. i'm really looking forward to doing this mod

kyle, did you do the reverse lights as well?
i'm also curious to find a local spot with the leds instead of ordering them online. but whatever...

those lights look good. although i think the white would be too bright for me. i'm really looking forward to doing this mod

if you were over at night you could see them in person. The white is pretty bright but not blinding by any means, its dim but still bright and allows for you to see very well as opposed to a colored LED.

I did not do the reverse lights because I can see very well with the stock ones in the back and I don't mind what others see back there at night. But I did swap out the orange rear turn signal for amber LEDs so they look clear from the back but then light up amber when activated.

as far as a local place to get them I am not really sure, I tried searching but I got them from the same website as this guy and it was $5 shipping which is great because the lights are MUCH MUCH cheaper than a store. I was at Autozone and one of the LEDs for the dome light/lp light was like $10 each!!! They were $3 each on that website.

All in all I bought: 5 WLEDx6 (map, lp, glove), 2 festoon 3022 (trunk, dome), and then 2 7040 Amber LED for the rear turn signals. Shipped for everything was like $40. It would have been like $25 if I had not gotten the turn signals but I HATE the orange it reflects in the back durign the daytime when the lights are off.

The LEDs are not cheap but buying all of them at superbrightleds.com was much cheaper than in person since it was only $5 shipping, I got them in 3 days

thank you sir. i would definitely like to come back some night and check them out, but i will probably be doing this mod in the near future.

i see your point about the stock reverse lights, for some reason though, those are the first ones i want to replace

thank you sir. i would definitely like to come back some night and check them out, but i will probably be doing this mod in the near future.

i see your point about the stock reverse lights, for some reason though, those are the first ones i want to replace

some have said that the LED reverse lights are worse looking after being changed. Unless you get the very wide angled ones that the guy mentioned BUT on that website they are $25 EACH for those reverse bulbs! I wasn't about to spend $50 for just the reverse bulbs if they actually lit up less in the rear

OHHHHHH KAYYYYYYYY...
i need help...me and UHATEIT were just trying to make led turn signals not hyper flash...i have a 10W 100 ohm resistor. when installed, it still didn't do the fix. we only tested one side...

what gives? how come i still get hyper flash?

I noticed that too! He says WLED-x5 but when he shows the bulb they are WLED-x6!!!! Glad to know you noticed that the brighter would be the x6 because I have been holding off on ordering these for weeks because I wanted to make sure I got the right bulbs. I will be ordering the x6 then for sure!

Anyone tried buying the BRIGHT WHITE or COOL WHITE color for interior? I have done blue things before and it usually is pretty dark inside, but brigth ass white lights up the interior much better! I was just wondering because even tho blue or red looks SICK, I would prefer white if it's brighter

HA thanks for noticing. I apologize toe veryone who have read this HOW-TO and been confused. Sorry I couldnt respond any sooner. I just finished moving and getting the internet reconnected at the new place.

Thanks for pointing it out and the original post has been updated.

added a blue to my dome light. white leds in the glove, maps and plate illuminators. i'm in the process of changing my head lamps. debating led vs silverstar.

i've figured out they require different resistors

added a blue to my dome light. white leds in the glove, maps and plate illuminators. i'm in the process of changing my head lamps. debating led vs silverstar.

i've figured out they require different resistors

did you use wledx5 or wledx6 for the lp lights? Let me see pics phil!

hahaha, i used the 6's. i actually thought about getting the 194 base with just 4 leds instead of the wled5 or 6. i used the wled 6 for the maps, wled5 for the glove. wled6 for the license plate and the 3022 blue for the dome.

I ****** UP my cargo light switch. ****

and...GET THIS s***...changing the front 1157 to silverstar bulbs, i actually got the ******* bulb stuck IN the ******* headlamp assembly.

OMFG, i'm so pissed.

BUT, the led's look dope. i have to wash the car and then i'll take pics. i'm also waiting for some other s*** to install. you are welcome to swing by anytime, just call...

hahaha, i used the 6's. i actually thought about getting the 194 base with just 4 leds instead of the wled5 or 6. i used the wled 6 for the maps, wled5 for the glove. wled6 for the license plate and the 3022 blue for the dome.

I ****** UP my cargo light switch. ****

and...GET THIS s***...changing the front 1157 to silverstar bulbs, i actually got the ******* bulb stuck IN the ******* headlamp assembly.

OMFG, i'm so pissed.

BUT, the led's look dope. i have to wash the car and then i'll take pics. i'm also waiting for some other s*** to install. you are welcome to swing by anytime, just call...

dude i told you I would install them, pretty easy. If you need help let me know. I didnt **** up anythign on my car :)

FYI - those having hyper flash problems need resistors or a new flasher. i don't know where the flasher is or which one it is, so adding resistors is probably the fix for this problem.

i've tried a few different resistors with led turn signals, but the ones that work are 50 WATT 6 oHm resistors.

IF you have silverstar bulbs in the front, you will also need a resistor. you can use 25 WATT 25 oHm.

if you have silverstars in the front and led's in the back, you need one of each resistor.

if you have leds in the front and the rear, get four 50 watt/6 oHm resistors. they can all be installed in the same place on the line. i think the easiest thing to do is mount them in the back on the line for the turn signal.

you can get the right resistors from superbrightled.com or from newark.com

Back