Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

The question I have is "switch ignition on". Well there are 2 levels of the ignition being on without the engine running. So which one is it? The first level will get the stereo running, the second will illuminate the gauge cluster.

The question I have is "switch ignition on". Well there are 2 levels of the ignition being on without the engine running. So which one is it? The first level will get the stereo running, the second will illuminate the gauge cluster.

The only thing that gave me a problem in the directions was to "turn on the ignition". I was using a single push to the start button and having failures. Once I realized that it took 2 pushes of the start button to turn the ignition on, the procedure worked perfectly.

“Switch Ignition On (Engine Off)” in the Mazda’s official document just means that, turn on the ignition (by pushing the start button twice) without start the engine (without the foot on brake pedal). You’ll see most warning lights on in the instrument cluster.

If you push the start button only once without the foot on brake pedal, it’s in accessory mode, the ignition is not on.

It’s like old mechanical ignition key. You turn the ignition key to the first stop, that’s accessary mode; turn to the second stop, the ignition is on.

1631783000285.png

Finally got it.

These are the exact steps:

1. Apply Parking Brake.
2. Hit Ignition Twice (fast double tap).
3. Wait 2+ seconds.
4.Hold brake until you start the vehicle.
5. Off>Parking 5x. then off. (about 2 on-off switches, per second, for this step and next two).
6. Hit hazard lights 10x.
7. Off>Parking 5x. then off).
8. Wait 5+ seconds, foot still on brake, start vehicle.

The thing that I think made the difference is the speed of the procedure. This time, I went very fast on the movement of the switches, and that seemed to do the trick. Also, zero delay between steps 5-7.

There is no excuse for this absolutely moronic design that puts unnecessary wear on the headlight LEDs (can cycle on and off in auto mode from auto light sensor) and starter motor (have to start the car every time). On my previous 2013 Lexus, I simply went in to the infotainment menu. That's how it should be done, not some ridiculous, convoluted procedure that doesn't even work for many users and is a big pain to change back and forth.

View attachment 303063

Finally got it.

These are the exact steps:

1. Apply Parking Brake.
2. Hit Ignition Twice (fast double tap).
3. Wait 2+ seconds.
4.Hold brake until you start the vehicle.
5. Off>Parking 5x. then off. (about 2 on-off switches, per second, for this step and next two).
6. Hit hazard lights 10x.
7. Off>Parking 5x. then off).
8. Wait 5+ seconds, foot still on brake, start vehicle.

The thing that I think made the difference is the speed of the procedure. This time, I went very fast on the movement of the switches, and that seemed to do the trick. Also, zero delay between steps 5-7.

There is no excuse for this absolutely moronic design that puts unnecessary wear on the headlight LEDs (can cycle on and off in auto mode from auto light sensor) and starter motor (have to start the car every time). On my previous 2013 Lexus, I simply went in to the infotainment menu. That's how it should be done, not some ridiculous, convoluted procedure that doesn't even work for many users and is a big pain to change back and forth.
Ha, you finally nailed it! I thought the video posted earlier on a Mazda3 actually demonstrated 2 differences you made this time for a successful DRL setup change. The official document also says you have to do the switch on-off within 2 seconds between each group.

The first time when i saw this procedure to change the DRL setup, I thought it’s a joke until I saw that official Mazda document been posted.

Strangely my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA which is a Mazda2 in disguise does have a simple setup in infotainment menu to switch the DRL off or on. And the infotainment software to interface looks exactly the same as my Mazda CX-5’s.

Thanks Chocolate! It's all about the speed. I felt I was doing this fast enough to meet the time constraint and did this a dozen times with no luck. I did this recklessly fast just now and it worked the first time. Jeeze. Just pretend you're working a game controller.

Hi all, just got a 2021 CT AWD last week, still learning how it all works. Amazingly good car for the price.

Anyway, I have read most of this thread, especially the most recent posts. But I am kind of confused. I took photos of my cars front lights switched to auto, parking, and bright. I don't see the halos on in any switch mode. I definitely want my DRLs to look like the photos in post #202 and have printed out the insane Rube Goldberg instructions to have the halos only as DRLs and am fine with having to switch on headlights manually, but I want to be sure that's what I will get if I do the hack. I also don't see the horizontal leds on either side of the halos like on the red CX 5 in post #202. Are headlights different on 21 CT AWD?

Any help most appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20211008_231121071.jpg
    PXL_20211008_231121071.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 116
  • PXL_20211008_231150385.jpg
    PXL_20211008_231150385.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20211008_231224984.jpg
    PXL_20211008_231224984.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 110
  • red cx5.jpeg
    red cx5.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Bummer, so the hack will do nothing for me?

Guess I could buy a pair of these on Ebay, not sure if they work on a 2021

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
No, you can’t do that. That eBay kit is just a kit from Japan for CX-5’s to enable DRLs which already have LED accent strips (halos) in the headlight units. But based on pictures of your “2021 CT AWD”, your headlights are just base LED headlights. If you really want halos, you need to get entire LED headlight units with LED accent strips build-in which will cost you at least $1,200 a piece!

What is “CT” model anyway? :unsure:

977A7773-0987-4FB2-B252-96CD1E31BF1C.jpeg

Last edited:
No, you can’t do that. That eBay kit is just a kit from Japan for CX-5’s to enable DRLs which already have LED accent strips (halos) in the headlight units. But based on pictures of your “2021 CT AWD”, your headlights are just base LED headlights. If you really want halos, you need to get entire LED headlight units with LED accent strips build-in which will cost you at least $1,200 a piece!

What is “CT” model anyway? :unsure:

View attachment 303798
CT = Carbon Turbo. Thanks for the help, starting new thread to see if I can install led fog light/turn signals on my car.

CT = Carbon Turbo. Thanks for the help, starting new thread to see if I can install led fog light/turn signals on my car.
So CX-5 Carbon Edition doesn’t offer LED headlights with LED halos like GT and higher trims? That’s “nice” to know ⋯

So CX-5 Carbon Edition doesn’t offer LED headlights with LED halos like GT and higher trims? That’s “nice” to know ⋯
Yep kind of strange, not even offered as an option. Not the end of the world though, going to add some led DRLs with sequential turn signals.

s-l500.jpg

I actually started out looking at a certified 20 GTR at local dealer but they were trying to add a $2700 "CPO" fee on top of their other fees and lowballing my trade in. Ended up going to a dealer an hour away who had 4 CTs in stock, gave me $2000 over what I paid for my trade in and no crazy add on fees.

SOOO!! talking about Halos here.. Once you remove the relay is that ok to use the Halos just as the BMW's.? or should I worry about any wear off with the lights?

Back