Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

If you’re saying the headlights are always on on US models, then what do you mean by “let us know if the procedure still works on 2022”? I live in the US and it worked perfectly on my 2017 to only show the thin daytime running lights (and the taillights) when I had it set to parking lights.
Because some newer MY (2021?) CX-5 owners reported problem to turn off DRLs by following the instruction presented here. And Mazda did some changes to the headlight unit on 2022 MY CX-5, it’s possible Mazda also made some changes on DRL setup controls for North American or US market.

What do you mean by “video game trick”? Does that mean turning the light switch to “parking light position”?
This:

D22E45B2-9C2E-4BF1-B9CE-9783F275681A.jpeg

Attachments

• A1994A49-1F38-448A-A901-E79702DA768E.jpeg
    A1994A49-1F38-448A-A901-E79702DA768E.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,074
Because some newer MY (2021?) CX-5 owners reported problem to turn off DRLs by following the instruction presented here. And Mazda did some changes to the headlight unit on 2022 MY CX-5, it’s possible Mazda also made some changes on DRL setup controls for North American or US market.
I called a dealer in my area and the head technician looked it up in his computer and saw that the cheat code can be done for 2022 also. Why the default factory setting for daytime running lights isn’t just the accent lights on the front of the car is a mystery to me. Literally every other car manufacturer has just accent lights lit when headlights are off. At least Mazda does have the cheat code that gives you full control of the light knob inside the car. I guess I’ll find out for sure when I do the cheat code or I have the dealership do the cheat code on my 2022 Premium.

Last edited:
I called a dealer in my area and the head technician looked it up in his computer and saw that the cheat code can be done for 2022 also.
Good to know.

Why the default factory setting for daytime running lights isn’t just the accent lights on the front of the car is a mystery to me. Literally every other car manufacturer has just accent lights lit when headlights are off.
My 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech comes with LED accent strips and LED headlights. The DRL setup is like this, using only LED accent strips without low-beams, which is the ideal for DRL setup to me too.

At least Mazda does have the cheat code that gives you full control of the light knob inside the car. I guess I’ll find out for sure when I do the cheat code or I have the dealership do the cheat code on my 2022 Premium.
I wish the default on DRL on or off can be a part of vehicle setups found in the infotainment like many other functions. In fact the default DRL setup on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA, a Mazda2 in disguise, has this easy selection to turn the DRLs on or off, in vehicle setups from Mazda Connect infotainment on Yaris iA.

Last edited:
Removing the relay worked on mine.

I live in SoCal and I'm in traffic a lot so I don't need my lights on all the time. I have them on Auto.

But doesn’t this remove the use of the thin accent lights altogether?

But doesn’t this remove the use of the thin accent lights altogether?
It does but it’s not a bad thing . That way it will conserve them since they’re not serviceable.

They still come with the headlights on.

but on lower trim you don’t have the DRL accent. DRL are low beams only.

Has anyone confirmed firsthand that it works for the 2022s? I've tried on my wife's car over and over and it doesn't seem to work.
A technician told me it works the same on 2022s. Maybe you can explain how you’re doing it.

Last edited:
Put thread in How To section. Personally I like DRLs
The instructions don’t remove the daytime running lights altogether. They remove the headlights from the daytime running lights setup, So only the thin halo lights are on unless you have the headlight switch turned to off, on and maybe auto. I know only the thin lights will be on if parking lights are on; I’m not sure about auto setting. And no lights will be on at all with the headlight switch turned to off.

Last edited:
The instructions don’t remove the daytime running lights altogether. They remove the headlights from the daytime running lights setup, So only the thin halo lights are on unless you have the headlight switch turned to off, on and maybe auto. I know only the thin lights will be on if parking lights are on; I’m not sure about auto setting. And no lights will be on at all with the headlight switch turned to off.
When you say “no lights will be on at all with the headlight switch turned to off”, this means the DRL function has been removed altogether. The LED accent strips / thin halo lights are part of parking lights which will be on when the parking lights or headlights are on, either via Auto or manual.

Has anyone confirmed firsthand that it works for the 2022s? I've tried on my wife's car over and over and it doesn't seem to work.
Reading this thread it looks like many people miss some minor point and the procedure fails. I did it on mine, wasn't sure if it worked and did it several times to verify and reverse it. The parking brake light is supposed to indicate the function.
I hate to think how it would work if I wanted them back on while I was driving somewhere. Why can't they put a little switch, like the TCS off button?

When you say “no lights will be on at all with the headlight switch turned to off”, this means the DRL function has been removed altogether. The LED accent strips / thin halo lights are part of parking lights which will be on when the parking lights or headlights are on, either via Auto or manual.
What I meant was that the thin halo lights can still be turned on independently of the headlights when the headlights are removed from the DRL.

Reading this thread it looks like many people miss some minor point and the procedure fails. I did it on mine, wasn't sure if it worked and did it several times to verify and reverse it. The parking brake light is supposed to indicate the function.
I hate to think how it would work if I wanted them back on while I was driving somewhere. Why can't they put a little switch, like the TCS off button?
Agreed. I wish Mazda can simply use the Mazda Connect software version found on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA, a Mazda2 in disguise, where there’s a selection to simply turn on or off the DRLs on infotainment screen in vehicle setup menu.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but what is the advantage of disabling the daytime running lights?

I'm not sure I would even know if mine were on or off.
I don’t know why Mazda does this, but the default setting on the CX-5 (at least in the U.S.) is that the headlights and thin beams are on no matter which setting the light knob is turned to inside the car, even OFF. The headlights get a little brighter when turned to ON or AUTO at night, but the round headlights are still always on as the factory setting. This little trick that’s been discussed activates that knob, so that if it’s turned off, the lights are off. If it’s turned to the parking lights setting, just the cool looking thin beams and taillights are on. If you haven’t noticed on every other manufacturer these days and for the last several years, thin daytime running lights are the popular and cool look. Also being able to turn off your headlights would be helpful if you’re driving through a neighborhood Christmas light display and it’s recommended all the cars turn their headlights off.

I saw an SUV ( maybe Kia?) with orange lines illuminated around the headlights for daytime running lights. It looked really cool.

Back