Have you filled with anything higher than regular gas?

fb88

:
BMW
Yes I know it isn't supposed to make any difference, but just wondering if anyone tried and noticed a difference...

I'm still breaking in the engine (only 900 miles on it) so it's tough to calculate gas mileage or performance.

I plan on doing an oil change @ 1,000 miles to dump the factory fill along with the break-in metallic shavings but will continue to use 87 to set a baseline MPG before trying out new things.

I run 89 in my wife's modified Scion tC. It idles smoother vs 87 octane. We'll see how the 3 does...

I'm still breaking in the engine (only 900 miles on it) so it's tough to calculate gas mileage or performance.

I plan on doing an oil change @ 1,000 miles to dump the factory fill along with the break-in metallic shavings but will continue to use 87 to set a baseline MPG before trying out new things.

I run 89 in my wife's modified Scion tC. It idles smoother vs 87 octane. We'll see how the 3 does...
Break in is 600miles/1000kilometers.

From past experience, it usually takes about 5,000 miles for the engine to loosen up a bit. This is where I usually notice gas mileage to be increasing as well.

It takes time to learn and get a feel for the car. Then minor changes are easier to feel.

Yes I know it isn't supposed to make any difference, but just wondering if anyone tried and noticed a difference...

Yes it DOES make a difference, more power, and better fuel mileage.

However, the increase in the MPG does not exceed the money spent for the better fuel. The question really is, is it worth the extra $ to you for the small increase in performance. (huh)

^^What mazdadude said. Most recent model year cars will automatically advance spark timing to make more power on higher octane gas, but the question is, how much, and is there a maximum timing advance, and if so, how many degrees is that maximum? I've gone back and forth between 87 octane and 93 octane, using both for enough tanks to get pretty close to "pure" 87 and 93 octane. I don't notice the difference in power on 93 octane gas that I did with my 2012 Focus. Mazda may have the timing advance on this car pretty limited. However, given the small fuel efficiency gain on higher octane, and given that most gasoline brands reserve their highest quality and quantity of fuel additives for their premium gasoline, I'm sticking with 93 octane for the time being.

Yes, but there's also this:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/new-technology/premium-fuel-futures?click=main_sr

That autoguide article even states this:

In the past it was thought running premium fuel when only regular was called for could cause damage. “Most every engine, every manufacturer, can handle that higher octane so there are no deposit concerns,” Russ said. And according to Studzinski, “going up in octane is ok for the vehicle, it doesn’t damage it.”

The Ford Source Book for the 2012 Focus stated explicitly that the car would make more power on higher octane gasolines. I don't think you need to worry about harm from higher octane gasolines in newer cars.

Last edited:
You're missing the point: There IS a likely benefit from using higher octane gasoline in newer cars. Most of them WILL advance timing and make more power. It was quite noticeable in my 2012 Focus. I drive 35,000 miles a year in my daily driver. Even with that amount of driving, the price difference between Shell 93 and Shell 87 octane only amounts to about $20/month. If I get a 5 to 10 hp increase from 93 octane gas, that's easily worth it to me (especially when combined with the higher quantity and quality of fuel additives). I've worked with many automotive engineers in the last 17 years at my current job. That's a very broad job description, and I've met many of them who were pretty clueless outside of their area of expertise.

The real question here is how much does the 2014 Mazda3 make on premium gas (93 octane for me). I don't feel the kind of difference in this car that I did in my 2012 Focus, so I'm not sure I'm going to continue using 93 octane in this car.

Last edited:
One thing I'd like to do sometime is dyno the car to really see how much its making on the wheels and how efficient it is.

It seems that dyno test is the only way to settle this difference in opinions.
One can see points from both sides. My guess is that the difference in wheel power might be too small to detect.
Keep in mind that high octane fuel has slightly less energy per volume than the 87. That is a chemical fact. You can look it up.
Diesel has 30+% more than gas, for instance.

93 burns slower than 87.
I tend to lean a car out for better gas millage with great results. Baby the car and you will be fine.

For those who drive it like you stole it everyday i would suggest premium fuel if the car runs lean at all, but from what I understand with most direct injection engines today are tuned rich and could use a little bit of leaning out.

I will only run 87 in my MAZDA 3.
Now that being said I ran a wet NOS system with premium fuel when drag racing. "I'm not completely stupid"

Rich Mix

I doubt whether our 3 is set too rich since gas mileage is so high and that was an objective for Mazda. It would be dumb for them to run it rich. Since our car is tuned for 87, running something more expensive is simply burning money and/or vanity....

From the Veloster Turbo to the for Ford Focus ST. The tuners out there are finding at least 50-75 HP with no need to bump up the fuel. Using that data I'm just assuming that these cars run rich, I could be wrong.
I don't know why they are running a rich mix of fuel. It could be the framework for a more efficient engine for the next years model.

I took A 1991 Honda accord from 24 MPG avg to 38 MPG with no brainier modifications. I think my peak HP was 180 but that was not the purpose of my modifications.

Cars are going to jump dramatically in MPG in the next few years. It is a mater of regulations. The auto industry will only take baby steps for improvement unless the government or industry demands it. I have a friend that helped develop the new Honda Accord Hybrid and according to him this hybrid is the building blocks for 100 MPG full size sedans.

Most all of these so called new technologies were made by farmers in the early 1900's Direct injection,Fuel injection, headers and many more.

The average car is 20 times less engendered than your average small plane. We are far behind in developing new vehicles that can use technology we have already developed.

Your going to see Plasma ignition soon in new cars, and if that does not take we will see cars with out an ignition system, that fire by high compression only.
Big changes are due.

It is not to uncommon for a 1991 Honda accord to get to 30 MPG with several modifications. You add that to a custom Eco tune + my hyper fuel er driving and you get 38 MPG.

List of mods: Heads ported and polished "gasket matched" The list of of modification just to the heads was almost a full page long. MSD 6al, Distributor, Coil, Jet coated headers, cat delete, CAI, Cat back exhaust, custom Eco tune. All my labor was free and my dyno time was free. So I was able to get a little crazy. There is a lot more probably that i cant remember because i did this in 1998 or 1999 I forget. Drove the car until just this past summer with over 220,000 miles added to the 180,000 it had when i purchased this car.

These cars are still poorly engineered, and we will see much greater results when the industry is pushed.

My Mazda is currently up to 32.8 MPG and that's 70% HWY. I hope the cold weather, new car and winter gas is the reason behind it. "because this sucks"

It is the 2.5 with I-Loop. I wanted all the gadgets but hated getting the 2.5. I do not want the power. I don't like ZOOM ZOOM. I had a drag car for that.

The major benefit that you will see running higher octane fuel in the Skyactiv-G engines will be seen while running them hard in the summer. With the high compression, spirited driving in the summer will lead to the computer pulling timing because it's seeing knock conditions. I felt this in the summer with my 12:1 Skyactiv. Especially after it was run for a while and it was heat soaked, it would sometimes feel sluggish from a stop and just general in town driving because the computer was pulling timing. Running it to redline one day saw it pull a lot of timing about 700rpm before redline in second gear. It felt like it hit the limiter. Running higher octane fuel in the summer would maintain optimal performance for far longer in hot conditions because it is more resistant to detonation because of the slower burn.

Every forum I'm subscribed to, I see this post, again and again :)

The truth is, a car will run smoother and better with whatever type of gas it was designed to. And the 2014 Mazda3 was not designed for high octane or premium gas.

Using higher octane won't break anything, but won't improve mpg either. Actually, you will spend more money at the fuel pump.

Things that will improve your mpg? The "right device" attached to your leg, aka, right foot ...

I fuel up with 93 and have noticed the tank lasts longer than when i fueld with 87

rvoll, that makes complete sense! looks like 87 will be just fine for the 3 then.

mazdadude - late night typo, i meant 91 not 93

I run the car with 98 RON (equivalent to 93 in the US I think) and noticed better fuel economy compared to regular.

Back