Good news about headlights!

I just want my pop up headlights back!

1637095882321.png

Yes ! I had a 86 RX-7 and the pop-up headlights were Boss.
I can't think of a single car with pop up headlights that wasn't dead sexy. Hell, even the Accord, the most basic and boring of all automobiles, back in the day it was a damned good looking car with pop-ups!
1637145974888.png

Pop-up headlights went away due to pedestrian safety regulations (sharp edge of the housing causing more injury and all that). With all the pre-collision tech available now (see Audi Pre Sense 360 for example), auto-retracting pop-up headlights should already be a thing, at least in some cars. No idea why it isn't.

Anyway, that's great news about FMVSS No. 108 finally being amended.

For my money adaptive high beams is the dessert while the CX-5's Adaptive Front Lighting System that turns the beams left or right with the steering wheel is the steak. That's assuming it works as well as advertised. It is not included in my Touring trim. You have to go to Grand Touring or higher for that feature.

Hard to say if adaptive high beams is cheaper to implement than the turning beams. If not, I wouldn't expect it to be standard equipment.

Personally, I'd gladly swap adaptive cruise or lane keeping or both for the turning beams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back