Glove box BULB

Steve From Australia, Hello.

My first mod was I replaced my front door lights with LED's. looks great.
See pics :)

Attachments

• IMG_2197.JPG
    IMG_2197.JPG
    397 KB · Views: 879
  • 27012008018.jpg
    27012008018.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 833
I replaced the license plate bulbs (194W) with LED's as well - they look WAY better. The owner's manual tells you how to get the covers off.

What is the idea behind changing the lights to LEDs?

I could understand it if they were on all the time and running the battery flat was an issue but that's not the case as the glovebox and door lights are only on when they are open which is generally only a very short amount of time.

In theory, LEDs can last well over 50,000 hours of continuous use before they start dimming down to an unnacceptable level, so that means you'd never have to replace them as long as you own the car. Then again, you probably wouldn't have to replace a regular bulb either.

In most cases though, I think they are being changed out because it's a neat new thing to do. LEDs will likely displace incandescent and fluorescent bulbs in the next decade, so why not be ahead of the curve?

I might think about replacing them with LEDs if one should fail but in 27 years of driving I think I have changed 2 brake light bulbs and never changed any of the internal light bulbs in all of the cars I have owned.

Personally I think white lights look really stark. Many CFLs that people use to replace light globes in their homes are very white and I think they look terrible. I have many CFLs myself but you can buy "warm white" these days and they look more natural as they are yellower.

LEDs also come in warm white, but cool white (the really white ones) were the first ones to come out.

LED technology isn't quite there yet, imo. I bought a whole bunch of high brightness LEDs for this project at work, and I can see binning issues (they don't all look the same color of white). Maybe I didn't buy from the same production lot, who knows...

I could understand it if they were on all the time and running the battery flat was an issue but that's not the case as the glovebox and door lights are only on when they are open which is generally only a very short amount of time.

Two reasons:

#1 - functional
I do a lot of driving at night, so the lights are on more than 50% of the time and I've already got over 20K miles on my CX-9. So I've replaced a number of exterior bulbs with LED's simply so I don't ever have to change them again. I tend to keep cars a long time (275K on our Volvo) so changing bulbs is actually and issue. And after many years, the bulb holders tend to get a little fragile and break more easily when you try to change them. I'm hoping the lifetime LED's will alleviate this problem.

#2 - appearance
I prefer the instant on / off of LED's for turn signals and I like the very white light on the license plate (I have a white CX-9). I haven't changed the interior bulbs and don't intend to.

Its easy acutally...pop out your glove box light, door or overhead lights and match em up to the picture on this site:
http://www.tunerdomes.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=23
Then just pick your favorite color. I did my whole interior in HyperWhite and it does give off a "cooler" white color like one of the other posts said.
I was thinking of doing my license plate lights too but not sure if that would actually attract attention from police or not. (not that I drive wrecklessly) Does anyone know if this violates DOT laws?

Last edited:
Can someone please confirm there is a light bulb in glove box for 2010 CX-9 Sport? I bought it a couple weeks ago and never see there is light in the glove box. And I also check the manual and there is no mention of the glove box light. If the light is out, I may try to replace myself because a trip to dealership is troublesome. And can someone please help to point how to access the light bulb? Thank you.

Just want to report back. I mentioned this to my dealer and the technician called me and told me that the glovebox light comes on (by opening the glove box) only when the headlights are on. I tried and the light does operate this way. Problem solved.

to knowaczark: the first post was talking about changing the glove box bulb in Jan. 2008, so the vehicle is either 2007 or 2008. Your 2008 GT should have the light. You can check the above procedure.

Hope this helps

i change my interior to white led and changed my door and rear hatch light to blue, it just look cooler than regular bulb

you van buy for all interior in ebay for about $30

below is a list of all bulbs in Mazda cx-9 from sylvania website

2010 MAZDA CX-9 (With halogen capsule headlamps)

Low beam headlamp
H11 COOL 6,000-8,000

High beam headlamp
9005 COOL 6,000-8,000

Parking light

Front turn signal
992 (7440A)

Rear turn signal
992 (7440A)

Fog/Driving light

License plate
2825 8K