Fuel gauge accuracy?

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
I ran my CX-5 until the low fuel warning light illuminated and I filled up with 12.4 gallons when the gauge said only 5 miles remained. So it appears that there were almost 3 gals of fuel left in the tank. Does this sound right? I didn't add much extra fuel when the gas pump clicked off, only enough to get a round number for the cents.

Last edited:
That has been my experience with all mazdas I've owned. Actually a couple gallons remaining when "Miles to Empty" countdown gets to zero.

I ran my CX-5 until the low fuel warning light illuminated and I filled up with 12.4 gallons when the gauge said only 5 miles remained. So it appears that there were almost 3 gals of fuel left in the tank. Does this sound right? I didn't add much extra fuel when the gas pump clicked off, only enough to get a round number for the cents.
It’s normal. But may not be 3 gallons. More or less like 2+ gallons like HyFlyer said.

A forum member DBLXX who had traded in his 2016 CX-5 AWD GT due to transmission problem actually did a dry tank test on his brand new CX-5 in August, 2015. He drove 516 miles in total with full fill-up, to the top of the filler neck, to additional 62 miles after the range indicator displayed "0 Miles to Empty."

1st full fill to dry tank drive

Just FIY for people who don't know, 2016 CX-5 AWD has bigger gas tank - 15.3 gallons, than FWD which has 14.8 gallons.

It’s normal. But may not be 3 gallons. More or less like 2+ gallons like HyFlyer said.

A forum member DBLXX who had traded in his 2016 CX-5 AWD GT due to transmission problem actually did a dry tank test on his brand new CX-5 in August, 2015. He drove 516 miles in total with full fill-up, to the top of the filler neck, to additional 62 miles after the range indicator displayed "0 Miles to Empty."

1st full fill to dry tank drive

Just FIY for people who don't know, 2016 CX-5 AWD has bigger gas tank - 15.3 gallons, than FWD which has 14.8 gallons.

Might also be important to note that those 62 miles were highway miles.

Mazda rejiggered the 'miles to empty' reading a few years ago to be more conservative and get you to refuel sooner.

As for the low fuel light, I suggest people at least once, fuel up right when it comes on and then compare how much gas it took to the fuel tank capacity. For example, on the current gen Mazda6 the light comes on when it gets to 4 gallons left. The previous gen 6 would come on at 2 gallons. Mazda's 'official' number for when the low fuel light comes on is 2.5 gallons

Last edited:
Outside of people's opinions of wether or not low fuel levels have various ill effects, my message to those who read this thread is don't let the "miles to empty" countdown give you anxiety that you're going to be stranded when/if it reaches zero. There is a couple gallons in there still.

If I was in the middle of nowhere and the countdown reached zero, I would reset the trip meter to monitor miles past that to estimate when it would actually run out (mpg x 2) and figure out how to get fuel before then.

Back