Anybody drive their cx5 till empty?

:
2018 Mazda CX5 Machine Gray
Any body ever confirm an actual milage on how much gas is left once the Dash says 0 miles remaining. I'm noticing at fill ups on my 18' Touring CX5 that once it hits zero on the dash I'm filling up to about 13 gallons. I believe the tank size is about 14.8-15 so that would mean approximately 50-60 miles until you're actually out out. Has anybody accidentally run their CX5 till they are out of gas?

1 time I ran until 0 miles on the display, ~13 gallons got me back to full. Im guessing there was at most 2 gallons of gas left.

~15 gallon tank. You filled it with 13 gals when the DTE display read zero, so ~two gallons remained. What's your question?

Any body ever confirm an actual milage on how much gas is left once the Dash says 0 miles remaining. I'm noticing at fill ups on my 18' Touring CX5 that once it hits zero on the dash I'm filling up to about 13 gallons. I believe the tank size is about 14.8-15 so that would mean approximately 50-60 miles until you're actually out out. Has anybody accidentally run their CX5 till they are out of gas?
A forum member DBLXX who had traded in his 2016 CX-5 AWD GT due to transmission problem actually did a dry tank test on his brand new CX-5 in August, 2015. He drove 516 miles in total with full fill-up, to the top of the filler neck, to 62 miles past when the range indicator initially said "0 Miles to Empty."

1st full fill to dry tank drive

Just FIY for people who don't know, 2016 CX-5 AWD has bigger gas tank - 15.3 gallons, than FWD which has 14.8 gallons.

Full fill up (to the top of the filler neck) to 62 miles PAST when it initially said "0 miles to empty."

516 miles in total

A new fuel pump is $424.76 + Labor, and my local dealer charges $120/hr labor. Just a few reference points.

I had a 1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite. Some previous owner installed an electric fuel pump in the "trunk" (which was a small open space behind the driver's seat with no exterior access, almost part of the cabin) to replace the manual one...perhaps he could not locate a replacement manual one along the way.

If I got low on gas, the thing would go crazy as I went around turns and it was sucking up air...it was right behind my ear. So I never let my tank get that low. It was an interesting lesson I might not have otherwise learned.

I guess the answer to the OP's question might be beneficial should one get in an unanticipated situation and want to know "how far 'til pucker," but as you state, getting that low is nothing to be done routinely.

Back