2016 GT - Miles to empty?

:
'14 6 Touring, '16 CX-5 GT
Hey guys, the wife and I are the proud new owners of a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD in Titanium Flash mica. It was a lease return and has just under 38,000 miles. So far we really like it. Despite having the same engine and transmission and being heavier, it feels so much better than my 2014 6 - probably because it has about 90,000 fewer miles... but I digress.

So we've gone through the first tank of gas and when fully filled the miles to empty range is 384 miles. This is about what it was when the dealer filled it for us earlier this week as well. That seems kinda low considering it has a 14.8 gallon tank. If the combined MPG is 29, shouldn't the range be closer to 420ish?

So my question is what is the average miles to empty range you get after filling the tank?

Last edited:
I believe it is a 15.3 gallon tank. My 2016 AWD has never displayed more than 406 miles distance to empty since I purchased it in May. Usually is around the same as you are seeing in yours.

So according to the Mazda spec sheet, the 2016 AWD version has a 15.3 gallon tank and the FWD is 14.8. Kinda makes sense since the AWD gets slightly less MPG. If you're right at 400 miles to empty since you've owned the car I guess it's just how it is for these cars.

My apologies. I didn*t realize there were different size gas tanks for FWD and AWD.

Seems normal to me. As you said same powertrain but heavier. Also higher off the ground and less aerodynamic. This all results in lower mileage so your range will be lower if the tank is roughly the same size.

You were expecting better or similar MPG compared to you smaller and lighter 4 door sedan?

My recently traded 2016 showed up to 428 miles till empty when I refueled, but I never actually recall getting that many miles out of a tank of gas. ;)

My warning light comes on, i fill within 30 miles and i fill 11.5 gallons (RARELY I HIT 12 Gallons).
So 11.5 gallons X 28 mpg ~ 320 miles. If your GT is showing 380 and actually giving you 380 you are one of the lucky ones.

As for this comment "Despite having the same engine and transmission and being heavier, it feels so much better than my 2014 6 " the 6AT 2.5 Skyactiv in Mazda CX5 is tuned perfect, it suits the car better than a 3 and even a Mazda 6. Its the best job Mazda has done. I cant say for Gen 2 - but Gen 1 among CX5, 3 and 6 - the 6AT is best tuned and most satisfying in CX5 than the 3 or 6. I have driven the 3 while its lighter and corners better, putting your foot down fun is lower than CX5.

My warning light comes on, i fill within 30 miles and i fill 11.5 gallons (RARELY I HIT 12 Gallons).
So 11.5 gallons X 28 mpg ~ 320 miles. If your GT is showing 380 and actually giving you 380 you are one of the lucky ones.

As for this comment "Despite having the same engine and transmission and being heavier, it feels so much better than my 2014 6 " the 6AT 2.5 Skyactiv in Mazda CX5 is tuned perfect, it suits the car better than a 3 and even a Mazda 6. Its the best job Mazda has done. I cant say for Gen 2 - but Gen 1 among CX5, 3 and 6 - the 6AT is best tuned and most satisfying in CX5 than the 3 or 6. I have driven the 3 while its lighter and corners better, putting your foot down fun is lower than CX5.

Yeah, we've only been through a tank and she got about 340ish miles before she refueled. We'll see how well it does over time.

I also agree with your comment about the transmission being tuned better in the CX5. In my limited seat time in the CX it does shift noticeably faster and smoother the 6.

Hey guys, the wife and I are the proud new owners of a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD in Titanium Flash mica. It was a lease return and has just under 38,000 miles. So far we really like it. Despite having the same engine and transmission and being heavier, it feels so much better than my 2014 6 - probably because it has about 90,000 fewer miles... but I digress.

So we've gone through the first tank of gas and when fully filled the miles to empty range is 384 miles. This is about what it was when the dealer filled it for us earlier this week as well. That seems kinda low considering it has the same 14.8 gallon tank as my 6. Fully filled the 6 usually gives me a range in the mid-400s. I know it's more about the actual MPG you get, but to my wife (who is the primary driver) it's a bit of a psychological let-down, lol. Especially compared to the specs we were reading online before we made the purchase.

So my question is what is the average miles to empty range you get after filling the tank?

Gotta go with the rest of the thread. It's a heavier car, it's higher off the ground, and it has the same engine/transmission. I'm not sure why you'd think it wouldn't be worse than your 6 on the range.

Gotta go with the rest of the thread. It's a heavier car, it's higher off the ground, and it has the same engine/transmission. I'm not sure why you'd think it wouldn't be worse than your 6 on the range.

Some variants of 2016 CX5 are actually lighter than 2014 Mazda 6. But in general the CX5 goes upto 3500 - maybe AWD GT. Whereas 6 goes upto 3200.
So FWD Sport CX5 with MT might be lighter than some Mazda6 variants.

Ok, I'm going to reword the original post. But I don't expect better MPG than my other car. That's clear just by looking at the sticker.

But if you take the EPA combined 29mpg multiplied by fuel tank size, range should be in the 420 mile area.

I wanted to know how many miles to empty CX5 owners typically see after filling their tank.

It's going to vary from tank to tank depending on what kind of driving you're doing. Have you reset the MPG display since you got the car? If not, you could be continuing a reading based largely on the previous owner's predominantly city driving while you may be doing more freeway driving. If that were the case, the 380+/- range you're seeing is not representative of your actual mileage.

Ok, I'm going to reword the original post. But I don't expect better MPG than my other car. That's clear just by looking at the sticker.

But if you take the EPA combined 29mpg multiplied by fuel tank size, range should be in the 420 mile area.

And since you've got a couple of gallons reserve in the tank on top of your 384 miles, that's not far off.

I also agree with your comment about the transmission being tuned better in the CX5. In my limited seat time in the CX it does shift noticeably faster and smoother the 6.

Has nothing to do with transmission "tuning". If you want to know why the same engine feels different in the 3/6/CX-5, just look at the final drive gearing. It's much lower in the CX-5 to compensate for the car's additional weight.

Keep in mind you still have about a couple of gallons of gas when the gauge is on E, so I don't really think you are that far off.

EDIT: Oops, looks like Paris1 beat me to it! :p

Back