First oil change

Just purchase a Mazda CX 9 08 about 3 weeks ago. Just pass the 600 mile break in period and I am thinking about changing the car oil before we leave to Socal at the end of the month.

What is the recommend first oil change? I heard that for you first oil change should be at 1000 miles.

Can I or should I switch to synthetic oil on this first oil change? Will this cause any damage to the engine?

Thanks.

By the way I have a 2008 Mazda CX 9 GT with no addittional options except for the pearl white paint. Waited 4 months for this car!!!

Dealer told me 3500 miles for the first oil change. Not sure if switching would cause any damage, I've always heard that the engine needs 5k+ miles to breakin properly first, something about synthetic not allowing rings to seal properly.

I plan on doing it at the second oil change 7000 miles. I know there are others on here who did go synthetic at the first change.

This is always a sticky subject because everyone has a different opinion on it.

With the last few vehicles I've purchased, the 9 included, the dealers have told me NOT to change oil before the recommended interval in the owners manual. Proper break in was one of the reasons given in all cases.

As for synthetic not allowing proper break in I'd have to say baloney to that because several manufactures put synthetic in the sump from the factory. Corvette, MB, and Porsche are some, to name a few, that do.

Ted

I changed mine at 1,500mi and at 5,000mi using Castrol Semi Synthetic. Will probably go full synthetic at 10,000mi

Changed oil at 625 miles. 5w-20 full synthetic . From what people have told me, semi synthetic is for older engines...too much viscousity.
Besides I love to have big intervals and use high quality.

Just purchase a Mazda CX 9 08 about 3 weeks ago. Just pass the 600 mile break in period and I am thinking about changing the car oil before we leave to Socal at the end of the month.

What is the recommend first oil change? I heard that for you first oil change should be at 1000 miles.

Can I or should I switch to synthetic oil on this first oil change? Will this cause any damage to the engine?

Thanks.

By the way I have a 2008 Mazda CX 9 GT with no addittional options except for the pearl white paint. Waited 4 months for this car!!!

Changed mine @ 5k miles. Used synthetic...

The choice is yours whether or not you use conventional or synthetic oil. I changed the oil on our '08 CX9 GT at the 1000-mile mark with synthetic. Since then, the oil was changed out every 5000 miles. Our CX9 has 11,000 miles with no issues.

Back