First oil change with low mileage use

You can look up pretty much any first oil change uoa on any engine and see the wear metals in the sample. These wont necessarily do any harm, but I see no reason to leave them in for several thousand miles. To each their own...

Changing oil more often with right oil is good to the engine, but bad to the environment because oil is a non-renewable and dwindling global resource.

Just another reason I rag on Honda. Some folks changing their oil every 1,000 miles because it creeps up the dipstick so quickly.

I'm surprised there have not been protests against this.

My last vehicle was a pain to change oil in, with skidplates that need to be removed.

I bought my 1989 S-10 pickup brand new, and ordered the optional transmission cooler. That configuration brought the oil filter up by the battery, so I could change the filter while standing up!!! Being a truck, I had no problem getting underneath to pull the drain plug.

Most convenient oil changes I ever did.

This makes sense because 2.5T uses 5W-30 oil instead of 0W-20 for 2.5L, and Mazda doesnt make Mazda moly oil with 5W-30 viscosity.
My new 2021.5 cx5 turbo has 0W-20 on the oil fill cap, in Canada! I am wondering should i do a quick oil change at 1000km or wait till 7000km as advised by dealer.
I want to get the metal fragments and junk out of the oil and engine ASAP. But dont know if they do put in special breakin oil at factory and need to keep till 7k.
Is there a Mazda Tech here?

My new 2021.5 cx5 turbo has 0W-20 on the oil fill cap, in Canada! I am wondering should i do a quick oil change at 1000km or wait till 7000km as advised by dealer.
I want to get the metal fragments and junk out of the oil and engine ASAP. But dont know if they do put in special breakin oil at factory and need to keep till 7k.
2021.5? What changed from the beginning of the year?

2021.5? What changed from the beginning of the year?
The 2021Signature Turbo beginning model has SMALLER info screen. The 2021.5 has 10.5 inch screen. Plus maybe software updates. I also got Signature model, with REVERSE auto brake, and not just alert. Dont know if that is new but not on all models in Canada. The broucher also has 2021.5 on the cover. The dealers were willing to give me better deals on 2021 model, but not on NEW 2021.5 model. Just look for 10.5" info screen to tell the difference. I think mine was manufactured in LATE summer of 2021. I hope this helps.

Do you think you might have gotten the wrong oil cap from the factory? I wonder if your owners manual has the same viscosity.

Most people say it's not necessary to do that early oil change on new cars anymore because of the improvements in the oil, filters, engine manufacturing, etc.

This time of year I'm more concerned about the accumulation of soot and contamination from combustion. There might be more in a new engine until it's run in a few thousand miles. Some say 10-15k miles. So instead of 1000km and 7000km I'd do 4000km and 4000km.

Sounds good. The main reason for doing early oil change is to wash out any metal fragments that might be there from the machine shop and any sealants that may have ozzed into the oil. When two new metal parts rub against each other, they will produce more initial metal bits until the parts mate each other. As you point out correctly, modern manufacturing is a lot cleaner and probably not absolutly neccessary to change oil so soon , but for $100 worth the insurance and peace of mind if ur going to keep the car for a long time.

quick oil change at 1000km or wait till 7000km as advised by dealer.
When you say "quick change" do you mean one of those "Iffy-Lube" Places? I can never pass up the opportunity to use this line.......... "I wouldn't trust them to change my pine-cone air freshener". Seriously, it may not happen often, but once is enough, and it happened to my company van - they didn't tighten up the plug or filter or something and I had a major leak. I don't know that dealers are better - hopefully, but I'd rather overpay at a dealer if I couldn't do it my self.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

When you say "quick change" do you mean one of those "Iffy-Lube" Places? I can never pass up the opportunity to use this line.......... "I wouldn't trust them to change my pine-cone air freshener". Seriously, it may not happen often, but once is enough, and it happened to my company van - they didn't tighten up the plug or filter or something and I had a major leak. I don't know that dealers are better - hopefully, but I'd rather overpay at a dealer if I couldn't do it my self.

I've had the oil light come on one time. I'd taken my car to the dealer for something unrelated to oil. They informed me after the visit that my oil level was too high, and they removed some.

A couple of weeks later the oil pressure light came on. I turned off the car, checked the oil, it was on the low end, but not terrible. Started back up and no light.

The light came back on during a subsequent trip. I added some oil, maybe half a quart. Below the max line on the dipstick. Never saw the light again.

I think the dealer mis-measured and messed up the oil level. That kind of pissed me off. I wish they would have shown me the "overfill" measurement before screwing with it.

I'v never been in those jiffy lub places, they always try to sell u air filters, pcv valves and crap. Do it myself up till now, but now getting on, so will have to go to dealer, just because of warranty. But who knows, i might still crawl under there for fun.

I've had the oil light come on one time. I'd taken my car to the dealer for something unrelated to oil. They informed me after the visit that my oil level was too high, and they removed some.

A couple of weeks later the oil pressure light came on. I turned off the car, checked the oil, it was on the low end, but not terrible. Started back up and no light.

The light came back on during a subsequent trip. I added some oil, maybe half a quart. Below the max line on the dipstick. Never saw the light again.

I think the dealer mis-measured and messed up the oil level. That kind of pissed me off. I wish they would have shown me the "overfill" measurement before screwing with it.
That really is strange. Who did the oil change that was allegedly 'too high'?

My new 2021.5 cx5 turbo has 0W-20 on the oil fill cap, in Canada!

I don't think it's supposed to have a 0W-20 cap. 2021 manual says 5W-30 for the 2.5 turbo, your car should be the same.

I believe the PDI techs are supposed to check fluids and top up before delivery... I wonder if it's possible that the tech was doing multiple cars at the same time and put the wrong cap on your car?

Either way I'd take it back to the dealer to have them swap out the cap. You don't want whoever changes your oil to put the wrong oil in the car. They can also verify that the correct cap is the 5W-30 one by popping the hood of the GT Reserve or Signature CX-5s on their lot (if they have any in stock).

Canada or not, your 2.5T should use 5W-30 (full synthetic) oil (read your owner’s manual), and the “0W-20” oil fill cap on your 2.5T is wrong! Get it replaced by your Mazda dealer ASAP.

Should you change the factory oil early? That depends. In old days owner’s manual said change the factory oil at 1,000 miles. But that statement had gone for many years. It won’t hurt to change the factory oil early on modern vehicles, ONLY IF the factory oil IS NOT a special “break-in” oil. Honda specifically says that in owner’s manual that don’t change the factory oil early, and from UOA it has high moly content. Mazda doesn’t say that specifically, but it does have normal 7,500-mile / 12-month (US) o 5,000 miles / 6-month (Canada) OCI recommendation for the first oil change. Besides, UOA on CX-5’s factory oil are also showed high moly content, which is similar to Honda’s factory oil. I didn’t change the factory oil at 1,000 miles on my CX-5, but change it a bit earlier than recommended 7,500 miles (US) which is at 5,000 miles.

Think about it, not only modern engine assembly process produces much less debris, and the quality on oil and oil filter are also much improved. Any harmful debris or metal shavings if any should get trapped by much improved oil filter. There’s no reason to change the factory oil early, not to mention Mazds “could” have being using moly-rich factory oil as a special “break-in” oil for the first 7,500 miles.

I always change the oil in a new engine at 1k miles and then again at the first severe service scheduled change, typically 5k. That has always created solid performing engines that rarely consume oil.

I always change the oil in a new engine at 1k miles and then again at the first severe service scheduled change, typically 5k. That has always created solid performing engines that rarely consume oil.
Even on Honda’s where the owner’s manual specifically says don’t change the factory oil early in Break-in section?

I follow owner's manual instructions. That has always created solid performing engines that don't consume oil.

Although most of the cars I've owned have been used. Those didn't excessively consume oil either.

Even on Honda’s where the owner’s manual specifically says don’t change the factory oil early in Break-in section?

I don't have a Honda, but if I did, yes, I would. There is no reason I couldn't use the OEM oil, if there were actually something special about it. It's better to remove the initial wear products, than to use them as a "polishing compound". Now, whether Honda's factory fill is unusual needs to be verified. Your statement makes me think it is to protect the owners from greedy dealers.

Back