Emissions Issue

222Speed3

:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
I purchased a 2008 mazdaspeed3 GT at the beginning of June 2011. It has 30k miles on it.

Within the first week I got the thermostat replaced and the bose stereo issue fixed.

During the first week I tried to get emissions but no luck. Was told ECU not ready.

The catylist, evap, and O2 are not ready.

Carmax drove the car for two weeks and still not ready.

I raised hell now mazda has the car. They have been driving it and still cannot get the sensors ready.

Was talking to mazda today and they said when the mechanic tried to connect to the ECU he got a message for a security password needed or something like that. They were trying to update the ECU for a TSB but could not I guess because of this issue.

Not sure how to push this next with the dealerships.

Any input is much appreciated.

Could my car have been modded or had a cobb tuner on it before and is causing my issues now?

I put my car on a lift and everything looked stock. Did notice scratches on my intake box lower left by the intercooler tubing like there could of been a aftermarket intake on it before. Other than that everything looks solid.

The drive cycle should not take 3 weeks. Anyone have the drive cycle take forever on there 2008 mazdaspeed3 before?

I fell in love with the car in the little time I have driven. Hope to get this issue resolved and enjoy this bad boy some more.

Where are you located?

Could be a cobb, but that doesn't sound right. I have a cobb on my rx8 and it passes emissions just fine. Even without the cat installed. The Cobb AP will let you "disable" CEL's, but when you do that the rediness monitors will still set. Are you getting any CEL's?

Located in Northern Va

No CEL's. Dealership can't figure it out.

I asked the dealership today if they had tested the 3 area's not coming ready which are the catylist, evap, and O2 other than driving the hell out of my car. They said each one checked out with no issues.

My last car was an acura so I am not familiar with a mazda. Not sure how the cobb works eaxctly and was thinking possibly last owner had done something that could be causing my issue.

Wondering if the O2 is bad but not throwing a CEL causing my sensors to not go ready. But dealership said the it checks out.

Was thinking somehow someone could of left stuff disabled or changed out the stock tune. But not sure if that is even possible.

Well they got another one same model and color with 32k miles. The dealership is having it transferred now. Hopefully this one is good to go.

If all else fails on the second they got another one sport edition on the local lot that I will try as well. But I hope to get the black GT that will pass emissions.

LOL, I know now to check the bose stereo and keep an eye on the temp gauge since some 2008's had a stereo TSB and thormostat issue.

Funny when I was at mazda getting the thermostat fixed, the service writer asked me why I did not get a new one.

I laughed and said I did not like the new body style on it.

+1 on not a fan of the new body style. I also prefer the interior of the gen 1 too. If I had to get the new body style, I'd get the autoexe front fast ;)

Fixed!

Well got my ride fixed after a month and a half.

Mazda had to replace the ECU and fuel/air sensor to get all the sensors to set.

All paid for by carmax. Remember peeps to get your emissions if needed within the 30 days of purchase under the limited warranty. So if any issues dealer must fix.

Looks like the idiot who had the car before had the cat off and a test pipe running. The ECU was remapped and had the sensors disabled to not throw an engine light.

Well not an idiot for this but just for not setting the ECU back to stock.

Runnin good now, ha ha.

Gonna have to get some PIC's up soon.

Hmm glad to hear everything worked out, I wonder what tune the guy had on the car prior that would have caused it.

Back