Driver Side Whistle/Wind Noise

crfracer671

:
2016 CX-5
I have been chasing a whistling noise on my 2016 CX-5 that is coming from the driver side door/window area while driving at high way speeds (50 mph +) with cross wind. I believe it is coming from the upper left corner region if looking out the window from the inside. I have inspected and cleaned all of the seals and everything looks good. The door seems to also be aligned and closing correctly as well as the window operation.

Strange enough this noise only occurs in the spring/summer months when temperatures are above 50 degrees or so. On a cool spring morning i can drive to work and hear nothing while the warmer drive home whistles. it is not super loud but it seems like it is right in my ear and drives me crazy. I have tried various areas around the door and window with no luck.

Has anyone else had this issue and were you able to resolve it? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Does it change any with the RECIRC /recycle button on the HVAC?

There's a low pressure area just aft of the windshield, on the doors. This can pull the frame away from the body enough to whistle. You could try tilting the top of the door inward with careful adjustment of the hinges.

There's a low pressure area just aft of the windshield, on the doors. This can pull the frame away from the body enough to whistle. You could try tilting the top of the door inward with careful adjustment of the hinges.

I will give this a try. I'm interested in what you mean by the low presssure pulling the frame away from the body. Are you talking about the A pillar? Thanks!

When Dave Coleman was going over the CX-5 sound deadening, and added door gasket areas, there were several noisemaking areas on the door he mentioned. One was the sheet metal door gap between the front/rear doors.

I cannot find the video ... still looking...

Last edited:
Update on the noise... I readjusted the door several times and I was able to get a tighter seal in the suspect area but this still did not fix the issue. It also is not affected by the recirc on the HVAC.

The whistle condition is definitely driven by temperature. If it is a 50 degree + sunny day the whistle noise is there. If it's cold there is no noise. This really has me stumped.

I can't imagine air properties would change enough to cause this. Maybe a gap somewhere is opening up but I can't track it down. Still sounds like the noise is around the B pillar but hard to tell. Does anyone know how the B pillar plastic piece is attached on the outside of the car?

Any other ideas? Thanks

Back