Do 195/65/15 tires fit on a 2006 Mazda3?

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded my old Protege5 to a fully optioned first gen 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback. It’s a great ride and currently has the 17” rims on. I was wondering if I can use the old Protege5 winter rims with 195/65/15 tires on the Mazda 3 with no fitment issues. Thanks!

You can go to 205/55/16s but the 15-inch wheels may not clear the brake calipers.
Good to know 205/55/16s are an option at least! I don’t have them on me but if I have time soon I will try to test fit the 15s, but I assume that what you say will be the case. Thanks for the reply!

You're welcome. many years ago when I was selling my 15-inch 89 Mazda MX6 GT (OEM) wheels, someone with a much newer Mazda tried to fit one of my wheels to his car. The calipers would not fit inside the wheel. Manufacturers often must equip their vehicles with larger brakes to compensate for the added girth (weight) that new models typically add. But even if the new model is the same weight, manufacturers take advantage of larger wheels/tires by installing larger calipers for shorter stopping distances.

You're welcome. many years ago when I was selling my 15-inch 89 Mazda MX6 GT (OEM) wheels, someone with a much newer Mazda tried to fit one of my wheels to his car. The calipers would not fit inside the wheel. Manufacturers often must equip their vehicles with larger brakes to compensate for the added girth (weight) that new models typically add. But even if the new model is the same weight, manufacturers take advantage of larger wheels/tires by installing larger calipers for shorter stopping distances.
Interesting little explanation and good to know! The main reason besides saving costs that I was curious about fitting my old 15’ tires on my new Mazda was because as far as I know, smaller tires tend to do better in snow and ice than larger ones, and my old Protege5 with the 195/65/15s actually kicked ass in snow. Not sure how the 17s I have on right now would be, but as I said before the 16s could be a good option.

Do you use snow tires or all-weather tires? Some all-weather tires are very good in the snow.
All season tires 2023.jpg

Yes, like the General Altimax 365 for use on snow.

My 2007 originally came with 195/65-15 on the stock steelies. As long as the wheels themselves fit, you'll have no issues with that tire size.

Latest posts

Back