CX-5 transfer case drain and fill plug locations ?

:
2016 CX-5
Can someone who has done the transfer case oil change please confirm that these are the drain and fill plugs ? thanks very much

zjaujr.jpg

Yes. Take the fill off first in case it's stuck for some reason you aren't messed up.

Take a look around...there are a few other threads about servicing the front transfer and the rear diff. Front was almost exact for spec fill... my rear diff took more fluid than factory spec to bring to fill line as stated in FSM.

got it, thanks Chris, much appreciated ! I was planning to service it myself at 15,000 miles , is that good ? or should I do it sooner ?
According to owner's manual, you should only change the gear lubricant in front transfer case and rear differential at 30,000-mile interval if your AWD CX-5 is driving in the "severe condition". Or change them immediately after the components have submerged in water.

And according to Kedis82ZE8, the front transfer case needs specified 0.48 US quarts to fill up to the filler hole; but the rear differential needs more than factory specified 0.48 US quarts, between ⅔ ~ quart.

For 2016 CX-5 AWD, both front transfer case and rear differential use Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1, part no. 0000-77-SG1-QT, with list price $29.95 per quart:
s-l1600.jpg

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links
when to change rear differential fluid?

You can also use 80w90 gear oil, which is a lot cheaper ( and specified in pre 16 manuals).

Our 16' CX-5 has 35,000 miles on it and I haven't done ours yet - it's a highway queen and rarely has any of the conditions met in the manual.

Back