cx-5 sport manual grinding noise under hard acceleration in high gear

guido2358

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport, 6spd manual
I have noticed for the last several weeks that when on the highway in 6th and I acceleration hard there is a grinding noise coming from the engine bay. If I downshift and get the engine into higher rpms there is no noise. Its now happens at any speed when in a high gear. It doesn't happen when I downshift and use an optimal gear for acceleration, or when starting from a stop accelerating hard through all gears(such as merging onto the interstate).

I first noticed the problem when crusing on the interstate(about 65mph) and trying to accelerate up hills without downshifting. I bought my 2015 sport 6speed manual with 10k miles and it didn't have this problem. It now has 32k, as I drive about 20k highway miles per year for work.

Probably unrelated but two different mazda dealerships changed my oil and overfilled it. I noticed the problem the first time after returing from a trip to Chicago(600+ mile trip) and the oil level was high. Another dealership overfilled it upon the next oil change and i didn't check it until about 1000 miles after. Could this be related? Also does anyone have this happen? Not sure but it seems they put the 2.5 engine oil amount in my 2.0.

I started noticing the grinding noise after the first overfilling. They may not be related, however. I started paying more attention to sounds the car makes since having the oil issues. Perhaps the sound was always there, I just started paying attention.

I assume you are talking about petrol engine....I have diesel...are you sure the sound comes from the engine...?...it sound more like transmission problem to me...?
...but I will try to accelerate hard when in 6 gear...

So it's not grinding when shifting into a gear right? Those would be bad transmission sychros

If it grinds while under load meaning already in 6th and then accelerating then hearing the noise, then you are right it might be engine related. Are you out of warranty?

no issues while shifting. the noise occurs in gear when i push the gas pedal down hard. its the gas engine.

its not out of warranty, i just wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues so that i can give the dealer some ideas when i take it.

its not out of warranty, i just wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues so that i can give the dealer some ideas when i take it.

I don't have this issue. The engine does sound different than most other engines under high load, but there is definitely no grinding in my car.

Could the noise be clutch related? You say it only happens when you really get on the throttle in a high gear.
That means that there is a lot of torque being generated by the engine and a lot of torque being passed through the clutch.

If the noise is loud and obvious the dealer will hopefully be able to find out what's making it!

Back